Woman's Liver Failed From A Natural Supplement?

nomoreketones

Doctors Believe Health Supplement Led to 23-Year-Old’s Acute Liver Failure

This is what she took:
Balance

This it what it contains:
Folate (as 5-Methyletrahydrofolate Calcium) 400 mcg
Chromium (as TRAACS Nicotinate Glycinate Chelate) 120 mcg
Myo-Inositol 2g
Setria L-Glutathione (Reduced) 250mg
3,3'-Diindolylmethane (DIM) 150mg
Sodium R-Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) 100mg

Other Ingredients:
Hypromellose (Veggie Capsule), Silica, Ascorbyl (Vitamin C) Palmitate.

"Doctors ruled out all other possibilities and believe the supplement led to her liver illness." So, they didn't prove that this supplement caused her liver failure. They just can't think of any possibilities and doctors often like to think that their guesses are facts.

Pretty scary since I've taken many of these ingredients at one time or another. Does anyone know if any of these ingredients can cause liver damage in anyone with certain genetics? Obviously it doesn't cause everyone liver failure who takes it.

tankasnowgod

Well, I know nothing about that supplement, but the idea that that supplement would cause acute liver failure sounds ridiculous to me. And apparently, to Emily Gross as well, seeing as she said "I just couldn't believe that a supplement could cause something so life threatening."

For some reason, there is an INTERNATIONAL campaign to publicize this story-

https://nypost.com/2020/01/03/woman-says-she-suffered-liver-failure-after-taking-health-supplement/
Woman, 23, suffers life-threatening liver failure 'because of the herbal supplement she was taking' | Daily Mail Online
Woman, 23, suffers liver failure - and docs believe $50 herbal supplement is to blame

All this, and doctors STILL haven't done a biopsy on her failed liver. But have no problem whatsoever discussing her supposedly PRIVATE and INCOMPLETE medical details with any supposed news organization that asks.

No discussion of alcohol intake, which is known to harm the liver? No discussion of PUFA intake (likely high, since she lives in Texas), which is also known to harm the liver? No discussion of other over the counter supplements, like acetaminophen, which itself is known to cause ACUTE LIVER FAILURE?

If you need any proof the medical system in the US is corrupt and disgusting, this story is it.
If you need any proof that these News Orgs are basically gossip rags, spreading rumors when they know very, very little, this is it.
If you need any proof that these same Fake News Gossip Rags all just crib stories from each other without doing any sort of research or investigation of their own, this is it.

For whatever reason, this story is staged.

Dave Clark

And, this is nothing new. They did the same thing with kava, comfrey, chaparral, etc. The people that ended up with liver failure and dying while using these herbs were also using various drugs that are taxing to the liver. Of course, it was the herb that has been used for thousands of years safely at fault, according to the FDA, et.al. We all know drugs don't have side effects, cause liver failure and death! I believe the same happened to noni, another herb that has been used forever. These herbs have been vindicated, but the lesson is that if you push your liver to the edge of the cliff, it is only going to take a proverbial feather to push it over.

schultz

I personally wouldn't take any of those supplements. Not sure if they would normally cause that kind of liver damage or not, but what is clear is that it would vary by person. A young female, possibly on a hormonal contraceptives, could have a sluggish liver already, due to the influence of estrogen. Add PUFA, alcohol, fasted cardio (or whatever the kids are doing now), endotoxin, and various other insane things, and it is a recipe for poor health.

pepsi

They shouldn't accuse the supplement until they know 100% that
it was the cause of the liver failure. I believe its slander
to say such a thing and could lead to the company losing
business and loss of jobs for their employees.

Wouldn't you make sure someone was guilty before slandering their name?

Chinese or Indian raw material suppliers.

Opioidus

ALA is known to move around heavy metals in the body to unwanted places, take it from the tissue and take it to the liver for example, which can cause liver failure.

OP
N

nomoreketones

My thinking is that most likely the supplement didn't cause her liver damage but it can't be ruled out. Maybe she has a genetic mutation that combined with an ingredient in the supplement caused severe liver damage. You never know.

I certainly won't dismiss reports like this out of hand.

Tarmander

@tankasnowgod is spot on

You know it is propaganda when they use one off stories like this. People can easily relate to a young girl (omg that could be my daughter!!!), and it adds emotion to the story.

Also use of partial true information while hiding other true info that would change the story.

Ignore

Spondive

@tankasnowgod is spot on

You know it is propaganda when they use one off stories like this. People can easily relate to a young girl (omg that could be my daughter!!!), and it adds emotion to the story.

Also use of partial true information while hiding other true info that would change the story.

Ignore
Yes fake

very much indeed a propaganda piece; in germany we have those intermittently, masscommunications like weeklies raving and raving about "The Big Vitamin Lie", very unhinged.

Energizer

That reminds me of another thread a guy and I were talking about how "scientists" (paid shills from the FDA) were trying to imply certain tropical fruits were causing Parkinson's.

Last edited:

CLASH

That reminds me of another thread a guy and I were talking about how "scientists" (paid shills from the FDA) were trying to imply certain tropical fruits were causing Parkinson's.

If those tropical fruits were soursop or cherimoya, there is an association of those with atypical parkinsons in the dominican republic. The acetogenins in the leaves, stems, and to a smaller extent the fruithave some mitochondrial inhibitory properties that have been implicated as the cause. From what I've read soursop seems to have a higher concentration than cherimoya. So cherimoya seem safer.

Energizer

If those tropical fruits were soursop or cherimoya, there is an association of those with atypical parkinsons in the dominican republic. The acetogenins in the leaves, stems, and to a smaller extent the fruithave some mitochondrial inhibitory properties that have been implicated as the cause. From what I've read soursop seems to have a higher concentration than cherimoya. So cherimoya seem safer.

You're missing the point of my post. That is exactly the kind of ham-handed methodology and motive I was criticising. That's what science is today. It's not about investigating the truth, it's to produce a desired result for people with an obvious agenda. Unfortunately it seems it works on a lot of people, because if the holy scientist says it, it must be true. Science is the new religion in America. They would go after fruit especially delicious tropical fruit, maybe it could compete with their overpriced and ineffective drugs.

I see a lot of posting of scientific research under the assumption that the methodology is correct. Most of the time, even the methodology isn't right. How can you design a study when you're just trying to suit an agenda? Most science is bunk, even the scientific research posted on this forum, even with the intelligent folks on this forum (this is no knock against the prolific posters), it's good to keep that in mind when you see a scientific study in the back of your mind because it alerts you to the possibility that what you're reading is likely a con game or a magician's sleight of hand.

Last edited:

CLASH

You're missing the point of my post. That is exactly the kind of ham-handed methodology and motive I was criticising. That's what science is today. It's not about investigating the truth, it's to produce a desired result for people with an obvious agenda. Unfortunately it seems it works on a lot of people, because if the holy scientist says it, it must be true. Science is the new religion in America. They would go after fruit especially delicious tropical fruit, maybe it could compete with their overpriced and ineffective drugs.

I see a lot of posting of scientific research under the assumption that the methodology is correct. Most of the time, even the methodology isn't right. How can you design a study when you're just trying to suit an agenda? Most science is bunk, even the scientific research posted on this forum, even with the intelligent folks on this forum (this is no knock against the prolific posters), it's good to keep that in mind when you see a scientific study in the back of your mind because it alerts you to the possibility that what you're reading is likely a con game or a magician's sleight of hand.

I have directly noticed what seemed to be the effects myself, as I eat soursop and cherimoya regularly. I had to lessen my consumption. I researched the topic after feeling weird when eating a decent amount of the fruit, particularly soursop.

I see what your saying, there definitely is an agenda in some research, to what extent I dont know. I dont think all research is bad tho. In my experience in sifting through the research, stuff on tropical fruits, and herbal medicine is almost nonexistent. The agenda is that theres no funding to look into these foods and herbs.

Back
Top Bottom