What Do You Think About GAPS Diet For Autistic Children?

Parsifal

Let's say your sensitization to beta-endorphins is a level 2, and you're depressed all the time.

If you take naltrexone and antagonize your receptors before bed, you drop you sensitization to a level 1.

When you wake up, naltrexone's effect diminishes, and you're left with a level 2 physiological concentration, but with a level 1 sensitization. The result: you feel high.

Contrast this to using a drug with opioid agonist activity, such as kratom; with this case, you suffer all the physiological cons of elevated beta-endorphin concentrations to achieve a similar effect.
Would Lysine help for that?

DaveFoster

Would Lysine help for that?
I'm not sure that lysine effects beta-endorphin. Lysine does have novel antidepressant effects though, but I"d recommend a lower dose. It antagonizes the 5HT4 receptor quite strongly, which is responsible for its positive gut effects, improvements on vision, and of course anxiolytic properties.

Parsifal

I'm not sure that lysine effects beta-endorphin. Lysine does have novel antidepressant effects though, but I"d recommend a lower dose. It antagonizes the 5HT4 receptor quite strongly, which is responsible for its positive gut effects, improvements on vision, and of course anxiolytic properties.
Thank you. Why would someone have problems with beta-endorphins receptors and isn't there a way to fix the problem long term without being forced to take a drug like naltrexone?
Lysine is very good for me, it helped me to lower NO which is very high chronically for me. Which maximum doses would you recommend? 1.5g/day?

DaveFoster

Thank you. Why would someone have problems with beta-endorphins receptors and isn't there a way to fix the problem long term without being forced to take a drug like naltrexone?
Lysine is very good for me, it helped me to lower NO which is very high chronically for me. Which maximum doses would you recommend? 1.5g/day?
Maximal effects occur at 15 grams daily. I wouldn't go over 5 grams daily, as I get dizziness and disassociated feelings, along with heart palpitations. I think 500 mg 3x/day is fine. I'd start out with 100 mg 3x/day.

Lysine blocks NO absorption, and it may delay/block tryptophan absorption in the gut. The dosage is 3-6 grams with protein for the NO inhibition and 2 grams lysine per 300 mg tryptophan for the latter effect.

Xisca

I think i am leaning towards glutathione as well. Given his test results and symptoms i started to believe that there is a problem in his methylation pathways. Given that glutathione is the product of right pathway it makes sense.
...and I have begun to see the same for chronic fatigue, which might be the root of my problems, and also a neighbour with multiple sensitivities!

I am in favor of GAPS, I have the book, but with some adaptations about PUFAs.
It made me understand that the problem is when you CANNOT digest what you NEED!
You do mention their digestive problems, and I know them for me as well, I cannot go on a sugar diet.
I do make a mix of honey and coconut oil instead of the butter she mention, and I feel this is good to balance my sugar until I can recover.
I am going to have the genetic test, we have it in Spain from Genova lab....

This of the methyl, I think in all those deseases, the key is there, we do not detox for this reason and acumulate not only endotoxin, but also heavy metals. I also will do the test for heavy metal....

Xisca

Hey @StrongMom ! How are you doing with your boys? And you?

I have further investigated, and some news...

GAPs uses too much almond flour for autism. Nuts are high in oxalate, and oxalates are a frequent issue in autism / Asperger's.

There is a FB group called autistic carnivores, and it seems to suit many, with super getting better even at emotional levels. It might be because this diet is very much suppressing oxalates.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals