What Do You Think About GAPS Diet For Autistic Children?

Mr Rossi

Diet: eggs, different kinds of meat, milk, yogurt, friuts, honey, gelatin , masa harina, sometimes sourdough bread at home. Unfortunately at the day care, they get pufa, crackers, some friuts, milk, and yogurt.

Maybe a problem with fructose. I have a fructose intolerance and react very strongly to honey and fruits. Cooked fruits are the better option for me.
From eggs and sourdough bread I get also gastric intestinal problems. I eat white bread. That's good for me.
I do not eat eggs anymore. I tried it a lot but always the same problems with bloating, bad mouth breath, cramps,....

DaveFoster

Serotonin isn't the only player. There are also problems with dopamine and the endogenous opioid system.

Rather than raising dopamine, you can lower prolactin and serotonin.

Rather than raising endogenous opioid concentrations, namely beta-endorphins, you can antagonize their receptors during the close of your circadian cycle, which will promote desensitization and increased psychological effects.

James_001

Serotonin isn't the only player. There are also problems with dopamine and the endogenous opioid system.

Rather than raising endogenous opioid concentrations, namely beta-endorphins, you can antagonize their receptors during the close of your circadian cycle, which will promote desensitization and increased psychological effects.

Can you elaborate more on the last part?

DaveFoster

Can you elaborate more on the last part?
Let's say your sensitization to beta-endorphins is a level 2, and you're depressed all the time.

If you take naltrexone and antagonize your receptors before bed, you drop you sensitization to a level 1.

When you wake up, naltrexone's effect diminishes, and you're left with a level 2 physiological concentration, but with a level 1 sensitization. The result: you feel high.

Contrast this to using a drug with opioid agonist activity, such as kratom; with this case, you suffer all the physiological cons of elevated beta-endorphin concentrations to achieve a similar effect.

OP
S

StrongMom

That is too technical for me to understand. Some people recommend gluten- and casein-free diet for people on the ASD as these proteins have something to do with the opioid system. Was what you are saying referring to that?

michael94

Stressedmom, remember serotonin is an inflammatory response and serotonin lowering drugs don't necessarily get at the root cause of your troubles. Liposomal glutathione has been shown to have pretty good results with regards to autism. I recommend you do some research into that I think you will like what you find. I've been taking it ( I don't have autism ) and I really like the stuff. I even got my insurance to cover it.

DaveFoster

That is too technical for me to understand. Some people recommend gluten- and casein-free diet for people on the ASD as these proteins have something to do with the opioid system. Was what you are saying referring to that?
Opiates make you feel good.

Over time, people lose their ability to experience pleasure with opiates.

If you reduce your opiate levels before bed, you reset your sensitivity.

You wake up, your opiate levels shoot up again, and you feel happy.

supernature

If McBride claims this diet is working that should be enough i guess, esp if shes giving an example with her own kid, also as far as i remember it takes years to heal.

James_001

Let's say your sensitization to beta-endorphins is a level 2, and you're depressed all the time.

If you take naltrexone and antagonize your receptors before bed, you drop you sensitization to a level 1.

When you wake up, naltrexone's effect diminishes, and you're left with a level 2 physiological concentration, but with a level 1 sensitization. The result: you feel high.

Contrast this to using a drug with opioid agonist activity, such as kratom; with this case, you suffer all the physiological cons of elevated beta-endorphin concentrations to achieve a similar effect.

Makes sense, have you tried this out yet?

OP
S

StrongMom

I think that fear is one of the key elements in autism. What do you think is behind that? Serotonin? There is definitely anxiety behind the fear.

OP
S

StrongMom

If McBride claims this diet is working that should be enough i guess, esp if shes giving an example with her own kid, also as far as i remember it takes years to heal.

Het diet involves a lot of fat. Even though she recommend animal fats most of the time, cod liver oil and fish oil are part of the "healing protocol". The other things in her diet are quite reasonable. There are other doctors following a similar diet and claiming to cure the autism in children, including their own.

tara

I think that fear is one of the key elements in autism.
This wouldn't surprise me.
Does anything make them laugh?
Rodeo's popular in my house. And clowning - I get to be really, really incompetent and surprised at basic stuff. I don't do it often enough, but it helps a lot with relaxation when I have the energy and remember to do it. (Mine are not autistic.)

DaveFoster

Makes sense, have you tried this out yet?
In the process. I've tried a beta-endorphin agonist; it banished depression and anxiety.

@StressedMom

Serotonin is definitely a player, but cortisol can also cause anxiety.

thegiantess

I wonder if you have this seen this information by dr. John Cannell of the vitamin d council? He tells of essentially making his son's autistic behaviors disappear with very high dose vitamin d.

Autism and vitamin D | Vitamin D Council

And then here is an article by the very smart Paul Jaminet, PhD about what the mechanisms behind curing a disease via high dose vitamin d might be. Scroll all the way down to see the info related to autism.
Autism Archives - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

supernature

Het diet involves a lot of fat. Even though she recommend animal fats most of the time, cod liver oil and fish oil are part of the "healing protocol". The other things in her diet are quite reasonable. There are other doctors following a similar diet and claiming to cure the autism in children, including their own.

Campbell McBride:
"We are all different; every one of us is a unique individual. So, ‘one size fits all’ never works. That is why we have such a bewildering number of various diets being proposed: high carbohydrate / low carbohydrate, high fat / low fat, high protein / low protein, all raw / all cooked, etc. etc.; and the interesting thing is that every diet suits some people and does not suit others. Why is that? Because ‘it takes two to tango’, which means that there is no such thing as a bad food per se or good food per se without taking into account a very important factor, who is eating it! Not only who is eating it, but what state that person is in. "

"Cravings for sweet foods are common amongst GAPS people due to unstable blood sugar level. It takes time to normalise blood sugar and the most effective way to deal with it is to increase your fat consumption, particularly animal fats (within your pleasure zone, of course). So, consume plenty of animal fats with your meals. In order to keep your blood sugar at a stable level between meals make a mixture of raw butter (or coconut oil) with some raw honey to taste, put it into a glass jar which you can carry with you, and eat a few spoonfuls every 20-30 minutes all day. This measure can be very helpful in the initial stages of the treatment. As your blood sugar regulation will normalise through the use of GAPS Nutritional Programme, you will be able to gradually reduce and stop eating butter/honey mixture."

"Specific carbohydrate diet – no grains, no lactose, no sucrose"

"Disallowed Foods:
Sugars: Do not eat sugar, molasses, sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, fructose, or any processed sugar.
Veggies: No canned vegetables are permitted.
Grains: All grains are not permitted, such as: corn, wheat, wheat germ, barley, oats, rye, rice, buckwheat, soy, spelt, amaranth, and others. Some legumes are not allowed: chick peas, bean sprouts, soybeans, mung beans, faba beans, and garbanzo beans. Starchy foods are not permitted, such as: potatoes, yams, and parsnips. Seaweed and seaweed by-products, such as agar and carrageenan, are not allowed.
Meats: All canned meats are forbidden. Most processed meats are not permitted. Make sure processed meat doesn't contain any harmful additive such as corn, corn products, starch, and sugars.
Dairy: All variations of milk are not allowed: whole, skim, 1%, 2%, chocolate, etc. Some cheeses are high in lactose content and are restricted: ricotta, mozzarella, cottage cheese, cream cheese, feta, and processed cheeses and cheese spreads. Commercial yogurt contains a high amount of lactose and is not allowed. Heavy cream, buttermilk, and sour cream are not allowed.
Misc: Other foods that are not permitted include: bread, pasta, other starchy foods, canola oil, commercial mayonnaise (because of additives), ice cream, candy, chocolate, carob, whey powder, margarine, commercial ketchup, stevia, baking powder, commercial nut mixes, balsamic vinegar, and FOS (fructooligosaccharides) products."

"Allowed Foods – quantities are not restricted if you eat a balanced diet
Sugars: Honey is the only allowed sugar product. Not everyone can tolerate it, so use with caution.
Veggies: Most vegetables, fresh or frozen and raw or cooked, are allowed including: asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, beets, Brussells sprouts, cabbage, carrots celery, cucumbers, eggplant, zucchini,
summer squash, rhubarb, peppers, garlic, lettuce, spinach, mushrooms (unless you have candidiasis), onions, turnips, and watercress. Be careful of raw vegetables when diarrhoea is present.
Legumes: Dried navy beans, lentils, peas, split peas, unroasted cashews, peanuts in a shell, all natural peanut butter, lima beans, and string beans.
Meats: All unprocessed meats such as: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, quail, ostrich, fish, shellfish, lamb, venison, rabbit, and eggs. Some processed meats are allowed, but many require writing letters to manufacturers to verify the absence of restricted foods. Many processed meats contain sugar, starch, corn products, and other disallowed foods.
Dairy: All natural cheeses except those listed above are allowed: cheddar, colby, swiss, havarti, dry curd cottage cheese, etc. Homemade yogurt that has been fermented for a minimum of 24 hours is allowed and encouraged.
Fruits: Most fruits are allowed such as: avocados, apples, tomatoes, olives, apricots, ripened bananas, coconuts, dates, berries, cherries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, tropical fruits, and grapes. Nuts Almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, chestnuts, filberts, and pecans.
Misc: The following foods are allowed: olive oil, coconut oil, soybean oil, corn oil, weak tea, weak coffee, unflavoured gelatin, mustard, vinegar, saccharin, and juices with no additives."

DaveFoster

What is the beta-endorphin agonist called?
It's a SERM called raloxifene. I highly recommend if you want deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.

OP
S

StrongMom

Stressedmom, remember serotonin is an inflammatory response and serotonin lowering drugs don't necessarily get at the root cause of your troubles. Liposomal glutathione has been shown to have pretty good results with regards to autism. I recommend you do some research into that I think you will like what you find. I've been taking it ( I don't have autism ) and I really like the stuff. I even got my insurance to cover it.

I think i am leaning towards glutathione as well. Given his test results and symptoms i started to believe that there is a problem in his methylation pathways. Given that glutathione is the product of right pathway it makes sense.