Weak North American Coffee

mujuro

Forum Supporter
[moderator edit: posts split from Any problem with normal instant coffee]

My parents just returned from a 6 week US/Canada trip and had nothing but bad things to say about North American coffee, specifically the drip brew they serve in diners and such. Starbucks as well. Their main complaint was that everywhere they serve it, it's too weak. My father had to get double shots of everything and even then he said it was still too watered down. I guess here in Australia we like strong coffee. In September I made a trip to Melbourne to see a friend for a few days, and upon my return to instant coffee when I got home, I found that it was too watered down. In the space of 3 days I had grown accustomed to -- and gained a preference of the stronger cafe varieties.

frankfranks

Any problem with normal instant coffee?

It doesn't taste anywhere near as good as proper fresh ground coffee. Whether that's because they use lower quality beans or there's something else going on in the process I don't know. I can imagine that the shitty rotten beans get routed to the instant coffee plant.

I like my coffee black. I like spending extra money on different types of coffee that taste interesting and good black, in different ways.

If you're going to dump sugar and milk/cream in your coffee I don't imagine doing anything more than the cheapest instant ever makes sense. As soon as you dump in sugar and milk it's all pretty much flavored ice cream.

frankfranks

mujuro said:
post 110840 My parents just returned from a 6 week US/Canada trip and had nothing but bad things to say about North American coffee. Their main complaint was that everywhere they serve it, it's too weak. My father had to get double shots of everything and even then he said it was still too watered down. I guess here in Australia we like strong coffee. In September I made a trip to Melbourne to see a friend for a few days, and upon my return to instant coffee when I got home, I found that it was too watered down. In the space of 3 days I had grown accustomed to -- and gained a preference of the stronger cafe varieties.

Your parents sound like euro-trash looking for reasons to b**** about America. It's not 1980. You can get better coffee, better beer, and better wine in America than in Europe with ease in any major city.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
mujuro

mujuro

Forum Supporter

frankfranks said:
post 110844 Your parents sound like euro-trash looking for reasons to b*tch about America. It's not 1980. You can get better coffee, better beer, and better wine in America than in Europe with ease in any major city.

Because someone surely can't dislike things about a country they like.
They're Australian. I guess you missed that. Conservatives as well, if you can believe it. They just like strong coffee.

frankfranks said:
post 110842 If you're going to dump sugar and milk/cream in your coffee I don't imagine doing anything more than the cheapest instant ever makes sense. As soon as you dump in sugar and milk it's all pretty much flavored ice cream.

Now who sounds like euro-trash.

frankfranks

mujuro said:
post 110847
frankfranks said:
post 110844 Your parents sound like euro-trash looking for reasons to b*tch about America. It's not 1980. You can get better coffee, better beer, and better wine in America than in Europe with ease in any major city.

Because someone surely can't dislike things about a country they like.
They're Australian. I guess you missed that.

frankfranks said:
post 110842 If you're going to dump sugar and milk/cream in your coffee I don't imagine doing anything more than the cheapest instant ever makes sense. As soon as you dump in sugar and milk it's all pretty much flavored ice cream.

Now who sounds like euro-trash.

I missed nothing -- just nailed the pseudo-elitist psychology of your parents.

On the sugar and milk thing, I might add that I've bought a lot of instant and added sugar to it. It's not a sin. I do it when I have to. Just saying that instant is definitely way worse than whole bean from good roasters if you intend to drink it black.

frankfranks

Coffee, Euro-Trash

My first post here shouldn't be split off. It's not about Aussie hicks posturing about America. Instant is fine if you dump in sugar and milk, which is a good idea. Top notch black coffee is a separate question.

Giraffe

Coffee, Euro-Trash

frankfranks said:
post 110850 My first post here shouldn't be split off. It's not about Aussie hicks posturing about America. Instant is fine if you dump in sugar and milk, which is a good idea. Top notch black coffee is a separate question.
I thought your post was off-topic. I added the link to the original topic on top.

frankfranks

Coffee, Euro-Trash

Giraffe said:
post 110852
frankfranks said:
post 110850 My first post here shouldn't be split off. It's not about Aussie hicks posturing about America. Instant is fine if you dump in sugar and milk, which is a good idea. Top notch black coffee is a separate question.
I thought your post was off-topic. I added the link to the original topic on top.

Well you'd be wrong, then, wouldn't you. I'll grant you the folow on aussie prole slap fight is stupid.

OP
mujuro

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Coffee, Euro-Trash

Hahahaha this made my day.

schultz

Coffee, Euro-Trash

This is how wars start...

Can't we just relax and have a normal discussion for once instead of turning everything into an argument? Debating is one thing, but aggressive name calling?...

The guys parents are right anyway, American and Canadian diner coffee sucks. :cool: We get used to a lot of low quality foods here in North America.

PeatThemAll

Coffee

schultz said:
post 110888 This is how wars start...

Can't we just relax and have a normal discussion for once instead of turning everything into an argument? Debating is one thing, but aggressive name calling?...

The guys parents are right anyway, American and Canadian diner coffee sucks. :cool: We get used to a lot of low quality foods here in North America.

There's something to/in European coffee alright. I have very clear and fond memories of the ones I tried in Italy, the Netherlands, France, and Switzerland. Haven't seen anything in North America that tops it yet.

D

danishispsychic

its the sprayed coffee, its the shitty water here i think. i have been to AU lots - i liked their coffee but it could not compare to the coffee in Italy or Denmark- its beans and water . AND hows its made. coffee in Copenhagen is mostly pressed i think- its like crude oil- LOVE IT.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals