Vitamin D still very low despite lots of sun - what isn't working right?

OP
T
Tons of info on the web. I just do 3+ X a week, shallow bath, hot water to expand the veins (but not too hot to feel lightheaded, of course). I do 20 minutes.. just set up the cell phone to play some YouTube video that's around 20 minutes and the time goes by. I rub the water into my legs as I'm sitting there bored (ha ha), but I think this makes it all go deeper into the skin. my skin was noticeably softer after the 1st bath. Healing kicked in as well.
Thanks for this. I've tried this in the past but end up using up the salts after 3 foot baths and it's not the cheapest thing. Can you recommend any good sources in the UK?

OP
T
I found this to be somewhat true. While living in a moldy home I couldn’t raise my vitamin d level no matter what I did. I sat in the sun all summer and it still came back to 25 ng/ml. 1 month after relocating and getting some sun my vitamin d level is now 50 ng/ml.
Interesting, I haven't heard this before. I've put a screenshot of the detail on the VitD result from my brother's recent test. I assume this leaves open the possibility of what you've suggested? Would the conditions you've suggested show up on a regular blood test showing blood count etc?

LucH

420 mg magnesium needed. Not too little or too much. Bisglycinate Mg, taken with fat in meal.
More Mg is needed in case of stress. 600 mg.
Need to understand how Ca/Mg and K/Na function. Water follows Na if unbalanced.
Vitamin D and Magnesium
Vitamin D and magnesium work in close correlation
: without magnesium, vitamin D cannot be transformed into its active form, a relationship that is often overlooked.
1. Vitamin D enzymes.
The enzymes responsible for converting vitamin D into these different forms are totally dependent on magnesium.
2. Transport molecules.
Vitamin D transport molecules in the body also need magnesium.
3. Vitamin D regulation.
PTH, a hormone formed in the parathyroid glands and regulating vitamin D metabolism, is strongly influenced by magnesium.

More info on this link (in French; translator needed).
Vitamine D dépendante du magnésium
Note: If you want to understand the link between unbalanced cations:
Équilibre Sodium et Potassium – Compensation par l’organisme

HeyThere

Thanks for this. I've tried this in the past but end up using up the salts after 3 foot baths and it's not the cheapest thing. Can you recommend any good sources in the UK?

You can buy Epsom Salt from the gardening section at your local plant shop for cheap in huge amounts. Shallow bath only requires 1 cup. Don't buy fancy scented trash, toxic anyways. Highly suggest the bath vs foot bath as more skin is exposed, need less treatments for the week IMO.

Giraffe

Doubtful you're getting anything at that latitude, probably not even at the peak of the summer.

The more northern parts of Germany (near the North Sea and the Baltic Sea) are at latitudes that high (53, 54 degrees), and I can confirm that you can get sunburned on a sunny day, even in spring or autumn. So you can get too much of a good thing on a sunny day.

Giraffe

My brother and I have low Vitamin D status despite working outside in the sun more than most. I could understand it being low within the reference range, but not way outside the reference range.

Kidney trouble? Liver? Fat malabsorption?

There was a study in outdoor workers posted here that found that even above average sun exposure did not regularly protect against a winter deficit and some participants even had too low values at the end of summer. They found that it mattered more how much of the body was exposed to the sun than how many hours were spent outside.

What I am trying to say is that you might not get as much as you think. And could it be that you and your brother were still recovering from a winter deficit when you had your levels tested?

Sphagnum

My brother and I have low Vitamin D status despite working outside in the sun more than most. I could understand it being low within the reference range, but not way outside the reference range.

Kidney trouble? Liver? Fat malabsorption?
I was going to mention what Giraffe had, in that the amount of skin exposed is important.

Additionally, Dr. Peat spoke on how using soap can have a strong effect on the endocrine system of the skin even days after the last use. I will stick to layman’s terms because I want to avoid misspeaking, but basically if you’re washing your skin before or after the sun exposure each day, then you’re lowering its ability to synthesize cholecalciferol. Try bathing without using soap on the parts of the body that you are exposing to the sun, just rinsing those parts lightly with water. This could have a pronounced effect.
I try to avoid supplements because i can get it from food, i usually get my boron from eating dates years around and apricots in their season, 100 g of dates contain ~ 1.08 g boron, i eat a pound per day so i get ~ 5.08, my magnesium source are raw cacao and milk, my k2 source come from some types of high k2 cheeses.
I also love dates and can eat huge amounts every day, along with cacao as well. I just wanted to point out that both foods have high levels of oxalates, so keep them away from your main calcium intake.
I found this to be somewhat true. While living in a moldy home I couldn’t raise my vitamin d level no matter what I did. I sat in the sun all summer and it still came back to 25 ng/ml. 1 month after relocating and getting some sun my vitamin d level is now 50 ng/ml.
Can you elaborate on how you knew the house was moldy? I’ve always wanted to test for this (had a leaky roof in the past) but don’t know how to determine if there is an issue. Everything I’ve read about tests say they’re inconclusive but there has to be something

Aymen

I also love dates and can eat huge amounts every day, along with cacao as well. I just wanted to point out that both foods have high levels of oxalates, so keep them away from your main calcium intake.
Thank you, i didn't know that dates have high oxalates, i remember in an Interview Ray said that oxalates should not be a problem if one gets 2 quarts of milk.

OP
T
You can buy Epsom Salt from the gardening section at your local plant shop for cheap in huge amounts. Shallow bath only requires 1 cup. Don't buy fancy scented trash, toxic anyways. Highly suggest the bath vs foot bath as more skin is exposed, need less treatments for the week IMO.
Thanks. We don't have a bath in our current house but it's a must for the next!
Doubtful you're getting anything at that latitude, probably not even at the peak of the summer.
Wow, really? Not even when I'm getting sunburnt? I suppose you'd recommend supplementation?
There was a study in outdoor workers posted here that found that even above average sun exposure did not regularly protect against a winter deficit and some participants even had too low values at the end of summer. They found that it mattered more how much of the body was exposed to the sun than how many hours were spent outside.

What I am trying to say is that you might not get as much as you think. And could it be that you and your brother were still recovering from a winter deficit when you had your levels tested?
Thank you. This is possible, yes. I'd say we'd had about 3 or 4 weeks of midday sun exposure, but I suppose this doesn't sound like much in the grand scheme of things.
The answer to living in a sun deficient area of the world: Sperti Vitamin D Sunlamp
Thank you, Dave. Have you used this personally and seen any positive results using it?

Dave Clark

Thanks. We don't have a bath in our current house but it's a must for the next!

Wow, really? Not even when I'm getting sunburnt? I suppose you'd recommend supplementation?

Thank you. This is possible, yes. I'd say we'd had about 3 or 4 weeks of midday sun exposure, but I suppose this doesn't sound like much in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you, Dave. Have you used this personally and seen any positive results using it?
I have been using it for five years, especially in the winter. My wife was able to get her levels up when supplements could not {although, I don't believe in the validity of the storage D tests, they tell you little about what is in your body, especially since D is stored in adipose tissue, and the test is run on your blood}

LucH

Thank you, i didn't know that dates have high oxalates, i remember in an Interview Ray said that oxalates should not be a problem if one gets 2 quarts of milk.
Right, if twice a day (not only at breakfast). No problem if enough Ca twice a day. But you'd better take citrates too if you don't want to suffer from lithiasis. Potassium Citrates 900 mg (330 K). Mind the dosis when caps bought (both should be mentionned).
I take 2 caps when oxalates is "eaten".

Aymen

Right, if twice a day (not only at breakfast). No problem if enough Ca twice a day. But you'd better take citrates too if you don't want to suffer from lithiasis. Potassium Citrates 900 mg (330 K). Mind the dosis when caps bought (both should be mentionned).
I take 2 caps when oxalates is "eaten".
Thank you, i,m reading about the oxalate thing and kidney stones and i,m a bit worried. i just eat my first half pound of dates in breakfast with coffee and a cup of milk then the second length inn lunch with 2 cups of milk and cheese.
From this website:

"A key for preventing growth of calcium oxalate stones is to get the right amount of calcium: 1,200 milligrams daily. If you have calcium-rich foods or beverages at each meal, you lower the amount of oxalate absorbed into your bloodstream, reducing your risk of new kidney stones."

LucH

i just eat my first half pound of dates in breakfast with coffee and a cup of milk then the second length inn lunch with 2 cups of milk and cheese.
Not a good idea to associate coffee with milk. Seperate them. Micelles obtained. kind of droplets Hard to digest.
1200 mg Ca is the RDA. Not obliged to practise so if ... If enough balanced with K / NA and Mg / Ca. If well balanced, 850 mg Ca is enough. Aboriginal peoples do well with 550 mg Ca. 1200 mg is what is recommended by the health authorities (lobbying).
Mind the kind of cheese too. Hard cheese are rich in P. Must be balanced: P / Ca 1 / 2.2.
Note; Meat + hard cheese = 1200 mg Ca needed.

Tzheng2012

Not a good idea to associate coffee with milk. Seperate them. Micelles obtained. kind of droplets Hard to digest.
1200 mg Ca is the RDA. Not obliged to practise so if ... If enough balanced with K / NA and Mg / Ca. If well balanced, 850 mg Ca is enough. Aboriginal peoples do well with 550 mg Ca. 1200 mg is what is recommended by the health authorities (lobbying).
Mind the kind of cheese too. Hard cheese are rich in P. Must be balanced: P / Ca 1 / 2.2.
Note; Meat + hard cheese = 1200 mg Ca needed.
Could you explain more about the coffee and milk and micelles?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals