Cholesterol - Vitamin D - Carbon Dioxide As Markers For Metabolism

Stilgar

"As far as the evidence goes, it suggests that coconut oil, added regularly to a balanced diet, lowers cholesterol to normal by promoting its conversion into pregnenolone. (The coconut family contains steroids that resemble pregnenolone, but these are probably mostly removed when the fresh oil is washed with water to remove the enzymes which would digest the oil.) Coconut-eating cultures in the tropics have consistently lower cholesterol than people in the U.S. Everyone that I know who uses coconut oil regularly happens to have cholesterol levels of about 160, while eating mainly cholesterol rich foods (eggs, milk, cheese, meat, shellfish). I encourage people to eat sweet fruits, rather than starches, if they want to increase their production of cholesterol, since fructose has that effect."

- Ray peat

Are you guys sure 160 cholesterol is that low @Stilgar ? Ray seems to say people he knows with a good metabolism have a cholesterol of 160 from high turnover to pregnenolone. 130 however is indeed quite low, so depends where you are between 130-160. Those symptoms you mention could be something other than cholesterol, like Vit A deficiency (which is also related to cholesterol)

That’s definitely true and have thought about that, but Vitamin A is certainly hard to get right. At 130, my cholesterol level coincided with a long period of significant depression and I guess I’m conscious to keep it as high as I can to avoid that. It’s more of an issue because I can’t take much thyroid and for a number of reasons, probably need to. Liver and oysters I am upping to twice a week because of a recent very low iron test (transferrin saturation) test, and I feel in invariably good from those foods, so hopefully that will help any problematic cholesterol level too.