UTI

lindsay

Thanks everyone! I'm going to see if I can find it at Wholefoods today (so I don't have to wait for it). I'm also doing the ACV in water and going to try some raw garlic added to the diet as well. I prefer to not have to go to a doctor again and get another antibiotic, so I'll let you know how it goes!

I used to suffer from UTI's years ago, I used the NOW brand of d-mannose powder too, at the very first sign of discomfort. Absolutely knocks out any infection perfectly, I found relief within hours.

I actually haven't needed it since Peating, my overall health has steadily improved by using thyroid, progesterone and better nutrition. The d-mannose been relegated to the back of the supplement cupboard, where I hope it will stay forever...UTI's are a DRAG.

T

tca300

Antibiotics. Or it could spread to her kidneys, trust me... you don't want that for her. To prevent it from coming back plenty of fruit / juice.

What are the symptoms of urinary tract infection that you have noticed? This includes ones that your doctor dismissed as other things.

tara

I think an infection inside the urinary tract itself is pretty straight forward for labs to diagnose from a urine sample. The bacteria etc show up in the sample, and they stick a reagent of some sort in to test. If the infection is well underway, the urine can be grey and cloudy. Symptoms for me have included extreme urinary frequency (eg 10 min intervals) and severe pain.
I'm with the others who recommend anyibiotics - unless you can stop it quickly with D-mannose, cranberry etc, to avoid kidney infection and damage. I tried stopping one by natural means once, and it got away from me - I got scarily sick.

There are other kinds of conditions that can cause pelvic inflammation and related discomfort that will test negative for bacteria in pee, that a dr might sometimes dismiss. This is not necessarily infection, and may not respond to antibiotics etc. I'm pretty sure I've read something from Peat about this, but I can't remember details about causes and remedies, and I've just searched 'pelvic inflammation' to no avail. If I get a brainwave and find it, I'll post again.

Did you experience any kind of neuropathy?

tara

Such_Saturation said:
Did you experience any kind of neuropathy?
I was not aware of any neuropathy with it.

When I had a lower back disk prolapse the doctor asked at every visit whether I was having any symptoms affecting bladder or bowel - incontinence, changed or reduced sensation etc. I wasn't, but apparently it's common, with bulging disks and inflammation pressing on nerves.

dd99

My wife's doctor just told her to stop drinking citrusy juice to prevent aggravating the urinary tract. Is that a legitimate claim?

D-Mannose! Two, four times a day until she feels better then 1 a day as a prophylaxis for a few weeks. It is amazing!

kaybb

My wife's doctor just told her to stop drinking citrusy juice to prevent aggravating the urinary tract. Is that a legitimate claim?
That would mean our beloved fresh squeezed orange juice would be out! I hope this is the doctor's guess and not legit science. ?? I am going to look around Ray Peat site. Hope others can assist on this question.

M

marikay

I have no idea if this works but I make sure I get adequate salt.

A hospital that used to be run by nuns here used to wash the urethra with a hypertonic saline solution and the women who experienced that treatment(most who had frequent occurrences) claim that it brought the longest lasting relief. Of course these days the hospitals just prescribe antibiotics.

I second this. More salt in the diet got completely rid of a chronic kidney infection, made the pain go away too.

tara

That would mean our beloved fresh squeezed orange juice would be out! I hope this is the doctor's guess and not legit science. ?? I am going to look around Ray Peat site. Hope others can assist on this question.
I don't have any specific medical knowledge on this, but I wonder whether ripeness could be a relevant factor? Ripe OJ is not as acidic as unripe OJ.

I've heard people recommend lemon juice specifically against UTI,s, but I haven't looked for evidence to support this.

yerrag

UTI is especially hard for the elderly who suffer also from incontinence. Because of incontinence, they have to wear diapers. Because urine collects on the diaper, the moisture that develops in the peritonial area makes it easy for bacteria to grow. Often, the bacteria would come from a smear of feces, or from urine. A person taking d-mannose would be able to flush away bacteria from the urinary tract, but if the bacteria is simply absorbed by the diaper, it would simply find its way back into the urinary tract from the penis/vagina being exposed to the moisture and the bacteria thriving in it.

Still, I wonder where the bacteria originated from in the first place. Did the bacteria originate from the urinary tract itself? Or is it more likely coming from fecal matter that contains bacteria, that manages to enter an orifice? If so, can eating a Peat diet lessen the occurrence of UTI? If the Peat diet involves not eating fermentable fibers, and it lessens bacteria and endotoxins, would it help to lessen the incidence of UTI? Just wondering out loud.

SQu

so I gave him liver for lunch, and suggested that he eat some daily, and gave him a week's supply of vitamins A, E, folic acid, B6, potassium and magnesium.
I'm trying to manage my daughter's UTIs, just don't have as much of a feel for what's going on as I do for other things. To add some more food for thought, a few weeks ago she got one and this is what the new and better doc did: 1 send urine sample for culturing and 2. order an ultrasound. Ultrasound showed no scarring which is great because she did have pyelonephritis in December. Culture did not grow so bacteria not an issue yet though symptoms already in place. Suggesting inflammation and spasms ahead of infection, suggesting managing those may ward off second stage, bacterial infection. So far my list for doing that comes from this RP quote from moss above, buchu also suggested by moss, considering bicarb.

tara

Still, I wonder where the bacteria originated from in the first place. Did the bacteria originate from the urinary tract itself? Or is it more likely coming from fecal matter that contains bacteria, that manages to enter an orifice? If so, can eating a Peat diet lessen the occurrence of UTI? If the Peat diet involves not eating fermentable fibers, and it lessens bacteria and endotoxins, would it help to lessen the incidence of UTI? Just wondering out loud.
I think e-coli is a common culprit, mostly fecal. I don't think you need much of it getting in the wrong place to potentially cause trouble with UTIs. I doubt any diet would get e-coli down low enough to substantially reduce this hazard.

Ray isn't a fan but a gram of potassium iodide in water for a day or two kills these. I doubt it's long enough to suppress thyroid.

Urinating after sex helps.

If you are having intercourse with a man, having him lubricate his penis with Mct oil before entry helps a lot.

Apple cider vinegar orally, a tablespoon a few times a day helps a lot.

tara

accelerator

I used to get quite a lot of UTI's. Torture. Never managed to get rid of them without antibiotics. I tried once to use 'natural' methods, including cranberry extract, but got very sick. I think it can risk kidney damage if left unchecked for too long.
But once I started drinking cranberry juice regularly, it seemed to work really well for prevention (along with adequate hydration, hygiene, etc). After I started drinking about 100 ml commercial juice once or twice a day I never got another one.
Good luck to her.

What antibiotics did you use and how much did you take?

tara

What antibiotics did you use and how much did you take?
Sorry, too long ago, I don't remember. I just took the prescription I was given.

pepsi

I got the worst UTI the day after I went to a lake.
It was a warm lake and parts of it close to shore even had a bad smell.
Im sure it was full of all kinds of microscopic organisms brewing in that warm water.
I was in and out of that lake all day keeping the same damp clothing on in between swims.

I learned my lesson the next day when I had the most uncomfortable urinary feeling.
Dont sit around in damp clothing all day from an infested lake.

It went away on its own but I was also Peating at the time so I think that helped.

Ive been to beaches and sat around in damp clothing all day but never
experienced anything similar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals