The Travis Corner

G Forrest

@Travis - is there any reason for you personally why you wouldn't consume A2 milk and/or goat milk/cheese, if the BCM-7 effect is mitigated with these products? Or are there other factors for you in avoiding dairy altogether? (i.e. the estrogen and acne issues)

Thanks!

Travis

Thanks for all the information Travis.

Im curious of your thoughts on the synergysm of tobacco and coffee.

Nicotine [Through A Peat Prism?]

I feel that the tobacco slows the body while the coffee speeds up the intestinal movement.
Muscle relaxation from nicotine being beneficial in the context of focusing on increasing mental capacity of course, and increasing the laxative capabilities of both.
It certainly can have a relaxing effect, and I think this is explained by the nitric oxide (ṄO) gas. I really think this could actually depend on the γ-tocopherol concentration in the lungs, which has the unique ability among vitamin E congeners to absorb nitrogen radicals onto it's ring. This has been shown in vitro, and also nitrated metabolites have been detected in the urine (after the vitamin E 'tail' is cleaved off). It protects against lung cancer in rats, much more so than α-tocopherol, so its ability to trap (filter) ṄO seems the only logical mechanism. Alpha-tocopherol can almost certainly displace γ-tocopherol from the cell membrane, so γ-tocopherol concentrations are found with great variability among people. I think perhaps the ability of tobacco to cause a relaxing effect could be determined in part on the γ∶α membrane ratio in the lungs, as well as smoking velocity and technique of course.

Nicotine on the other hand indisputably works on the acetylcholine receptors, where it acts to increase nerve potential. It consistently increases word recall in laboratory experiments, as it does reaction time in monkeys and humans. Nicotine perhaps is best seen as a cholinergic stimulant, and antagonists of the acetlycholine receptor (i.e. mecamylamine) have the opposite effect.

But dopamine is also a stimulant neurotransmitter, and could work by donating electrons (becoming the indolic dopachrome in the process). Dopamine is antagonized by endogenous opiate peptides, or the endorphins, such as β-endorphin and the enkephalins. In every case, these are short peptides usually between five and seven amino acids long—although they're precursor peptides are longer—which end in tyrosine: The N-terminal tyrosine is the 'active end,' and these peptides do fulfill the 'opiate rule' (a non-reducible chemical requirements for opiate activity). Dopamine itself begins with tyrosine, and still retains much of its structure. The similarity between the the endorphin 'active end' and dopamine could underlie their antagonism, which seems to be a unique and consistent interrelationship. Prolactin release is kept in-check by dopamine, and the the ability of exorphins to release prolactin is often explained simply through dopamine antagonism. Coffee has an anti-opiate, and thus could logically be expected to increase dopamine over and above what could be expected from caffeine alone—that is, if you could expect any at all from that.

Walker, J. "Identification of coffee components that stimulate dopamine release from pheochromocytoma cells (PC-12)." Food and chemical toxicology (2012)

The title informs this is, in fact, the case. I wonder if he's going to implicate caffeoyl quinide, the notorious anti-opiate, towards this effect.. .

This is a somewhat disappointing article, but he did show that coffee diluted 1∶100 and 1∶10000 had released dopamine from neural cells. I found it disappointing because when he'd tested individual coffee molecule types, he didn't test for the antiopiate; he didn't even mention caffeoyl quinide once in the article, and this had been published in 2012. Nonetheless, the parent compound of caffeoyl quinide—chlorogenic acid (2)—was used and found to be the most effect. This is perhaps not surprising at it's very similar to dopamine (9) itself, as can be seen below:

dopamine.png

Upon roasting: chlorogenic acid (9) loses one molecule of H₂O from the quinic acid ring, which forms yet another ring with the acetyl group—being perhaps reminiscent of the bicyclic ring of cocaine and morphine. Caffeoyl quinide is just as potent as naloxone in antogonizing to μ-opiate receptor, and I think that it likely contributes to coffee's biological effects. And as can be seen above, the ester hydrolysis of the more ubiquitous chlorogenic acid would lead to a molecule very similar to dopamine (IUPAC name: 3,4-dihydroxyphenethylamine) itself—this being called 3,4-dihydroxyphenylpropanoate by Sigma–Aldrich and dihydrocaffeic acid by others.

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Regional foods certainly do shape health, but I think a more appealing book could be one about how food has evolutionarily directed phenotypical changes of Homo sapiens throughout the millenia—or had induced the appearance and differentiation of distinct race. Not many people will argue the first obvious example, what perhaps could be our Chapter I, of the decreased melanin production always found in temperate regions; this is of course on account of the reduced need to synthesize melanin for the absorption of ultraviolet radiation, otherwise damaging. Another way to see this phenomenon could be an adaption which has allowed for increased photo-catalyzed deoxycholesterol ring-scission, to vitamin D₃, ensuring adequate production of that hormone under nearly any lighting conditions. Light determines skin shade, and shade partially determines race.

Serotonin increases growth hormone, and growth hormone increases stature. This can be plainly seen in cases of acromegaly, often caused by a pituitary tumor. Brain serotonin is of course a direct function of the Fernstrom ratio, dependent on dietary tryptophan, as this would naturally be dependent both on the amount and the character of a person's regional food.

Arachidonic acid can potentially affect race phenotype through the formation of the hormonal prostaglandins, and can often influence the posture of the race's older members through arthritis—also a function of high uric acid—but this is bordering on pathology and not on general race characteristics. But most certainly, linoleic acid can influence the brain: Cannabinoid receptors are found almost exclusively in the nervous system where their main ligand is 2-arachidonylglycerol and arachidonic acid ethanolamine (anandamide).

Oleamide is a powerful modulator of at least three separate serotonin receptors, increasing serotonin's response over 500% at low nanomolar concentrations. This can be be made only through oleic acid, although endogenous de novo synthesis of this fatty acid is possible through the activity of stearolyl–CoA dehydrogenase. This enzyme has been found unpregulated sevenfold by estradiol, making oleamide potentially accountable for the generally increased serotonergic efference found in both Italians and females (and especially Italian females). The Italian Penninsula is uniquely characterized by the olive tree; the Hass avocado, only recently, has also given the oleamide psychology to the Yucatán Peninsula.

Does oleic acid at the right dose spark imagination, emotion, and dedication to poetry and art? Did the proto-endocannabinoid linoleate contribute the the Neanderthal's supposed thick-headedness?

After the readers' attention has been guaranteed: immunogenic peptides, histamine psychology, and the schizophrenic phenotype can be brought into the historical picture. Histamine tends towards social isolation, want, irritation, and vindictive personality; the can be seen as attributes of industry, tools, and German psychology. Necessity is the mother of invention, and histamine could be the aunt of necessity. Analogous to serotonin, histamine is an endogenous neurotransmitter yet it appears to operate on a separate level; I don't think these two neurotransmitters can be synchronized with eachother, with perhaps serotonin tending more towards the art–verbal cultural personality and histamine more towards the physical–mathematical.

I think such a book could be more approachable to younger readers—and hence much easier to write (lol)—on account of disease being, and even the topic of disease, both foreign and disagreeable to most teenagers and young adults; certainly not something to rain on the parade thrown by the 21st century (First World), characterized by a steady stream of most often distracting electronic entertainment and more pleasure food than a person knows what to do with.
Note: this wasn't taken from his website, it was a private class.

Travis

Thank you for the comprehensive list of Foods and unit breakdown - appreciate it!
I'm glad we don't have to worry about any aluminum; but I had used about eight mini-tea bags of yerba maté in the French press yesterday, and now I am too really starting to wonder exactly what is contained within that plant. I think it made me feel a bit . . . unsettled; but as this was the first time I had consumed a good deal of it I cannot say for certain whether the yerba maté was responsible, the garlic I'd consumed (which I don't usually consume), or just random neurochemical fluctuations.

Travis

@Travis - is there any reason for you personally why you wouldn't consume A2 milk and/or goat milk/cheese, if the BCM-7 effect is mitigated with these products? Or are there other factors for you in avoiding dairy altogether? (i.e. the estrogen and acne issues)

Thanks!

Well, I did buy ¹⁄₂ pounds of raw goat cheese a few weeks ago and had perceived what I'd thought were subtle opiate effects—but perhaps those goats had a bit too much of the A1 casein isoform. I do find cheese a bit habit-forming, and had wanted more the next day (but the grocery store is 50 miles away, so I didn't go out and buy any more). But maybe I'll try it again with the Romano they also sell at the same store made with raw sheep milk (but very salty and hard), and just might pick some up when I go shopping today.

The hormones do show their effect after a few months of consumption. This is of course dose-dependent, and wouldn't necessarily be perceptible for everyone. This could depend on body surface area, expression of sex steroid-binding protein, and even intestinal bacteria—certain ones actually capable of metabolizing steroids, reducing the first-pass absorption but also enterohepatic reabsorption.

I really only mind the opiate effects to the extent that they interfere with motivation. If I didn't have to do so much I'd probably be eating cheese shredded over steamed broccoli, and all that. Androgenic steroids can certainly increase skin oil production, a classic effect, but I also think that skin oil can be kept fluid enough—by eating certain other oils—to not clog pores. This effect of dairy appears to be dependent on a few minor androgens—i.e. the androstenediones—found in much higher amounts than testestosterone, so they don't appear on every analysis; it can also be caused by the IGF-1 in milk, perhaps working synergistically with the androgens, as these both actually converge at the same molecular pathway: They both induce either the activity or expression of steroid regulatory element binding protein (SREBP), which is a transcription factor that binds DNA and determines in part which enzymes are created. This transcription factor—steroid regulatory element binding protein—induces the expression of enzymes which accelerate skin oil production and also tend to make it more viscous (decreases free fatty acids while increasing tryglycerides, sterol-, and wax esters).

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Our endogenous chitinase enzyme which can degrade chitin, the polysaccharide constituting near-exclusively the exteriors of crustaceans and fungi—entirely absent in all invertebrates (that is, those without fungi)
Our brain curator mentioned that some fruits such as bananas express those enzymes when threatened. If pesticides get rid of incests, a plant that was grown with them should contain less plant toxins. If they happen to develop in the future products that can attack pests without leaving harmful residues for humanoids, that might be a good thing.

CLASH

@Travis
Can you speak more about the increased oleic acid, oleamide and serotonin efference in italians?
If I understood you correctly due to the the increased consumption of oleic acid in olive oil, italians have an increased responsiveness to serotonin due to oleic acids transformation to oleamide and subsequently oleamides effect on serotonin’s effect on the cell. With this in mind, would it thus be prudent for an italian to avoid olive oil/oleic acid to decrease the responsiveness of serotonin? After generations of oleic acid consumption and the increase of serotonins effects on the cell by the transformation product of oleic acid; oleamide, wouldnt you expect the body to have adapted to become less responsive to serotonin?
Also along this line do you think that perhaps the human body has become adapted to some extent to the modern diet over the past few generations (with the exception of PUFA of course). By modern diet I am reffering to the increase in caloric consumption with less nutrient density? I have met quite a few, apparently healthy people, who seem to subsist fine on soda, gatorade, beer, red meat, wendys and entennmans pound cake (the case study in point is in his 40’s, african american, sub 10% bodyfat, full head of hair with color, takes no meds, works night shift and smokes ciggarettes). Also my dad’s gf’s grandfather is 84 with full head of hair with color, works 50 hours a week in construction and survives on cokes, pork, lard and white rice (he is phillipino, doesnt eat coconut oil, takes no meds, lives in the phillipines). Is this perhaps adaption to modernization of food?

X3CyO

Goat cheese with fig jelly, and rosemary crackers are awesome.

raypeatclips

I posted before asking if the opiate effects from cheese could result in less coordination of movements and slow limbs, well this site suggests that yes:

Opioid use is also associated with psychomotor impairment, an overall slowing of a person’s physical movements and loss of coordination
The Effects of Opiates on the Body
It may sound far fetched to check a site named "drugabuse.com" for the effects of cheese but I reported those effects after consuming a good amount of feta cheese regularly for dinner and vefore knowing they were side-effects of opiate use. Symptoms were mainly seen in the first part of the day. For those who play an instrument or need dexterity with their fingers it is even easier to notice. A few mornings my limbs were definitely slow-motionesque, tying shoe laces becomes more difficult and time consuming.

cheeseabuse.com

Have you tried drinking any amount of coffee with the cheese, and noticing how your reaction changes?

Wagner83

cheeseabuse.com

Have you tried drinking any amount of coffee with the cheese, and noticing how your reaction changes?
I usually eat fatty food for dinner
but it may help get back on track quicker in the morning, Eating the cheese daily has made it worse but I don't know if other things are involved. I guess I could try strong decaffeinated coffee with it!

Last edited:

Travis

@Travis
Can you speak more about the increased oleic acid, oleamide and serotonin efference in italians?
If I understood you correctly due to the the increased consumption of oleic acid in olive oil, italians have an increased responsiveness to serotonin due to oleic acids transformation to oleamide and subsequently oleamides effect on serotonin’s effect on the cell. With this in mind, would it thus be prudent for an italian to avoid olive oil/oleic acid to decrease the responsiveness of serotonin? After generations of oleic acid consumption and the increase of serotonins effects on the cell by the transformation product of oleic acid; oleamide, wouldnt you expect the body to have adapted to become less responsive to serotonin?
Also along this line do you think that perhaps the human body has become adapted to some extent to the modern diet over the past few generations (with the exception of PUFA of course). By modern diet I am reffering to the increase in caloric consumption with less nutrient density? I have met quite a few, apparently healthy people, who seem to subsist fine on soda, gatorade, beer, red meat, wendys and entennmans pound cake (the case study in point is in his 40’s, african american, sub 10% bodyfat, full head of hair with color, takes no meds, works night shift and smokes ciggarettes). Also my dad’s gf’s grandfather is 84 with full head of hair with color, works 50 hours a week in construction and survives on cokes, pork, lard and white rice (he is phillipino, doesnt eat coconut oil, takes no meds, lives in the phillipines). Is this perhaps adaption to modernization of food?
Did I hear that correctly? Could you elaborate on this '84 [year-old] with full head of hair with color, works 50 hours a week in construction [sic] and survives on cokes, pork, lard and white rice'?

CLASH

This is my dads Gf’s grandfather. According to her he is in his 80’s, owns a construction company in the phillipines and works with the construction workers building the houses (he recently built a house for my dad’s gf’s mother in the philippines). His diet is fatty pork meat, lard, coca cola, broken white rice (basically really short grain white rice), And periodically some fish if thats whats at the house (she says no more than 2x per week because he really prefers pork) and periodically fruit that grows on trees in the backyard if its really ripe and in season. She says that they tried to switch him to vegetable oil and fish because its healthier but he wouldnt give up lard. She says he eats 3 meals a day, each meal consist of a 12oz cane sugar coke, some white rice and the fattiest parts of pork (his favorite is fatty pork stomach). She also said that during one of the period during one of the wars, he survived on white rice and canned beef for rations. She also tells me that they dont really use coconut oil in her area. People use mostly lard or vegetable oils, but alot of people cant afford the oils (they are for the rich) so they stick mostly with lard. As for her grandfathers appearance, he still has his hair and the top still has its black color with only some small whitening on the sides. He is very thin, not an ounce of fat on him from the pictures she showed me. She says he doesnt take any medicine because he doesnt believe in it, except for random herbal concoctions from the backyard for cough or things like that. The only problem she said he is, is sometimes his gets an upset stomach now in his 80’s but besides that he doesnt really have any issues. She says he still climbs the ladder and the trees to work on the roofs of the houses he builds. He owns his construction company but his main profession is as an architect I think so he draws up the plans and manages the construction site. I’m not sure ifhe smokes or not.

Wagner83

What are the pigs fed? The physical activity probably helps, I'm curious what the amino-acids ratios and hormones are present in the parts of the animal he eats. Otherwise it looks rather high-carb, easily digestible without too much fat, a stimulating environment despite the age of being retired in a lot of countries. He is his own boss (more or less) too.

G Forrest

@Travis
I have met quite a few, apparently healthy people, who seem to subsist fine on soda, gatorade, beer, red meat, wendys and entennmans pound cake (the case study in point is in his 40’s, african american, sub 10% bodyfat, full head of hair with color, takes no meds, works night shift and smokes ciggarettes). Also my dad’s gf’s grandfather is 84 with full head of hair with color, works 50 hours a week in construction and survives on cokes, pork, lard and white rice (he is phillipino, doesnt eat coconut oil, takes no meds, lives in the phillipines). Is this perhaps adaption to modernization of food?

These are two very different diets: the former sounding like the SAD diet, the ladder (with the exception of coke), resembles closer to a traditional filipino diet. This doesn't sound like all that bad a diet - plenty of carbs, protein, and minimal polyunsaturated fat. Almost inline with Peat. He's probably also getting some good collagen with the pork, along with good, ripe tropical fruits that you mentioned. Sounds like he is also avoiding many of the pastries and desserts that cause problems in a modern filipino diet. Plus if he is in construction, he is probably getting a good amount of vitamin D, and if he's still working it's probably enjoyable work for him.

Sobieski

This is my dads Gf’s grandfather. According to her he is in his 80’s, owns a construction company in the phillipines and works with the construction workers building the houses (he recently built a house for my dad’s gf’s mother in the philippines). His diet is fatty pork meat, lard, coca cola, broken white rice (basically really short grain white rice), And periodically some fish if thats whats at the house (she says no more than 2x per week because he really prefers pork) and periodically fruit that grows on trees in the backyard if its really ripe and in season. She says that they tried to switch him to vegetable oil and fish because its healthier but he wouldnt give up lard. She says he eats 3 meals a day, each meal consist of a 12oz cane sugar coke, some white rice and the fattiest parts of pork (his favorite is fatty pork stomach). She also said that during one of the period during one of the wars, he survived on white rice and canned beef for rations. She also tells me that they dont really use coconut oil in her area. People use mostly lard or vegetable oils, but alot of people cant afford the oils (they are for the rich) so they stick mostly with lard. As for her grandfathers appearance, he still has his hair and the top still has its black color with only some small whitening on the sides. He is very thin, not an ounce of fat on him from the pictures she showed me. She says he doesnt take any medicine because he doesnt believe in it, except for random herbal concoctions from the backyard for cough or things like that. The only problem she said he is, is sometimes his gets an upset stomach now in his 80’s but besides that he doesnt really have any issues. She says he still climbs the ladder and the trees to work on the roofs of the houses he builds. He owns his construction company but his main profession is as an architect I think so he draws up the plans and manages the construction site. I’m not sure ifhe smokes or not.

Call me racist, but I think people of Sub Saharan descent (particularly West African) age very very well. I'd say from around the age of 20 to 60 years old Black people superficially age very little compared to Caucasians. For the example of the older Filipino gentleman, he eats a diet that is easily digestible, plenty of carbs, saturated fats and protein, and little PUFA.

CLASH

@Sobieski
I would have to agree with you based on my experiences. I wouldnt call it racism though, just basic observation. My point in bringing up thier diets was to exemplify those points exactly. Plenty of easily digested carbs, plenty of saturated fats (not low fat) and adequate protein seems to be the key. The other important observation is a lack of toxins. From my experience and reading it seems most plants whether fruit or vegetables contain a pretty good quantity of toxins which include the antioxidants. I personally havent been able to eat most fruits or vegetables without feeling pretty terrible compared to my current baseline, that includes juices of fruits of varying fruits, raw whole fruits both ripe and unripe and vegetables cooked and raw with the excepion or carrots. It seems, in my experience, that peoples preferences arent generally for most fruits and vegetables. Furthermore, from my experiences, a decent amount of people I know actually feel better without most fruits and vegetables (and grains). For me personally a higher saturated fat diet from red meat and red meat in general has restored alot of my health and function. Also cane sugar soda has been something that has really helped me out along with rays recommendation of the raw carrot (one of the few fibers that doesnt bother me). If dairy didnt have the opiate effect on me so strongly I think that would be a great option as well.

EIRE24

@Sobieski
I would have to agree with you based on my experiences. I wouldnt call it racism though, just basic observation. My point in bringing up thier diets was to exemplify those points exactly. Plenty of easily digested carbs, plenty of saturated fats (not low fat) and adequate protein seems to be the key. The other important observation is a lack of toxins. From my experience and reading it seems most plants whether fruit or vegetables contain a pretty good quantity of toxins which include the antioxidants. I personally havent been able to eat most fruits or vegetables without feeling pretty terrible compared to my current baseline, that includes juices of fruits of varying fruits, raw whole fruits both ripe and unripe and vegetables cooked and raw with the excepion or carrots. It seems, in my experience, that peoples preferences arent generally for most fruits and vegetables. Furthermore, from my experiences, a decent amount of people I know actually feel better without most fruits and vegetables (and grains). For me personally a higher saturated fat diet from red meat and red meat in general has restored alot of my health and function. Also cane sugar soda has been something that has really helped me out along with rays recommendation of the raw carrot (one of the few fibers that doesnt bother me). If dairy didnt have the opiate effect on me so strongly I think that would be a great option as well.
I am the opposite. Red meat has not been successful for me at all and it seems that maybe it has to do with too low stomach acid. I suspect though am not sure I suffer from h pylori at the moment and anytime I eat a steak it absolutely kills me. Well cooked vegetables seem to increase my well being, I dont eat much fruit so I cannot comment on wether or not this has the same outcome as the well cooked vegetables.

Travis

I have tried to switch over from coffee to yerba mate several times over the last 2 years, mainly because of the high b1 and b6 content, always with the same effect. After a few days I will start to get sharp chest pains that keep getting worse the longer I drink the yerba mate daily. I don't have this problem with coffee at all. Have you or anyone else noticed the same?
I figured it could be from one of the other xanthines besides caffeine that is present in higher amounts in yerba mate compared to coffee. Theobromine or theophylline perhaps?

'Xanthines show the expected potencies as displacers in striatal and cortical membranes, with theophylline > paraxanthine > caffeine > theobromine.' ―Daly⁽¹⁾

I think you're right about a methylxanthine (very likely theophylline) being responsible, on account of this one best fitting the evidence. Due to the similarity between the catecholamines and caffeic acid, I had looked into these. Yerba maté has a high concentration of caffeic acids, much more so than coffee due the effect roasting has on them (the majority are transformed into inactive species—although, much of what remainsare active anti-opiates). Even the more powerful caffeic acid metabolites, such ferrulic acid (O-methylated caffeic acid), are really only stimulants at mega-dose levels. Perhaps a small part of the the total stimulant effects of both tea and yerba maté can be attributed to the caffeic acid congeners (the non-quinides), but they appear as a whole much less active gram-for-gram than the methylxanthines (and the caffeic acid quinides). So despite their relatively high concentrations and similarity to L-dopa, they are generally only attributed an 'antioxidant' role—probably rightly so.

xanthine.png

Considering the xanthine ring above, a person will realize that there are fifteen unique methylxanthines which are possible. Of these fifteen, only three are found in yerba maté: caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline. This probably has something to do with the selective plant enzymes which progressively methylate the xanthine ring. Many methylxanthines have been found to bind with high affinity to adenosine reptors, which isn't surprising on account of xanthine's similarity with adenosine. Of the three that are found in yerba maté, theophylline always binds the strongest:

theo.png

I suppose you could think that the adenosine receptor prefers xanthines having unmethylated №7 nitrogens—which it could perhaps bind though either π-stacking (with the imidizole moiety) or though a simply hydrogen bond—but solubility could also play a role:⁽²⁾

theo2.png

Theobromine is the least-soluble methylxanthine, a fact which could contribute to it's capacity to diffuse towards the adenosine receptor. The differential bioactivities could have almost as much to do with distribution as with the adenosine receptor itself. Theobromine may not be absorbed as well on account of its lower water solubility, and could also have less plasma solubility (perhaps adhering to lipoproteins a bit more). But despite whichever way it tends to distribute within the body, theophylline always bind to isolated adenosine receptors more strongly than does either caffeine or theobromine. Judging by the graph below, it can displace (IC₅₀) adenosine derivatives at a roughly 5× less concentration than caffeine can (and ~20× times less than theobromine):

theo3.png
theo4.png

John Daly states the IC₅₀ values as follows, and also gives a short introduction to the adenosine receptors:

'The rank order of potency for methylxanthines versus binding of 1·nM [³H]cyclohexyladenosine in membranes from eight rat brain regions is theophylline (IC₅₀, 20–30·μM) > paraxanthine (IC₅₀, 40–65·μM) > caffeine IC₅₀, 90–110·μM) > theobromine (IC₅₀, 210–280·μM).' ―Daly⁽¹⁾

'The rank order of potency of methylxanthines versus activation of adenylate cyclase by 1·μM 2-chloroadenosine in rat striatal membranes is theophylline (IC₅₀, 20·μM) > paraxanthine (IC₅₀, 40·μM) > caffeine (IC₅₀, 80·μM) >> theobromine (IC₅₀, over 1000·μM).' ―Daly⁽¹⁾

'Indeed, the mild central alerting effects of caffeine probably occur at brain levels of 10·μM or less, while the more profound central stimulant, somnolytic, and anxiogenic effects probably occur at brain levels ranging from 20 to 50·μM (see LaChance, 1982). The convulsant activity of caffeine probably requires levels in brain in excess of 200·μM. Caffeine and theophylline at micromolar concentration have now been found to block interaction of adenosine with its extracellular receptors (see Daly, 1981a). Such adenosine receptors govern a variety of physiological functions and appear to represent likely loci for the expression of pharmacological activity of caffeine and theophylline. Two major classes of caffeine-sensitive adenosine receptors have been defined. These are the A₁-adenosine receptor, which is inhibitory to adenylate cyclase, and the A₂-adenosine receptor, which is stimulatory to adenylate cyclase. The A₁-receptor has a higher affinity for adenosine and adenosine analogues than the A₂-receptor. Both major classes of adenosine receptors occur in brain, and both are antagonized by caffeine and theophylline. The A₂-stimulatory receptor has been studied extensively in brain slices (Daly, 1977). This receptor occurs in all brain regions and is remarkable since accumulations of cyclic AMP elicited via this A₂-receptor can be greatly potentiated by adrenergic and histaminergic receptor agonists, particularly in slices from cerebral cortex and hippocampus (Daly et al., 1981 b).' ―Daly⁽¹⁾

The methylxanthines inhibit AMP cyclization in the same order and to the same degree that they bind to adenosine receptors. This leaves no doubt that methylxanthines are truly and fundamentally adenosine receptor antagonists.

theo5.png

As generally being 4–5× more potent than caffeine on the adenosine receptors, it should be no surprise that theophylline has been used in medicine. It has been historically used in asthma congestive heart failure:⁽³⁾

theo6.png

'When the drug concentration progressively exceeds 20 milligrams per liter, atrial tachycardia and then ventricular arrhythmias and more likely to be observed.' ―Piafsky⁽³⁾

'The A₂ system in slices shows an inhibition profile with xanthines typical of that seen in other systems, with theophylline > paraxanthine > caffeine > theobromine.' ―Daly⁽¹⁾

'Ventricular arrhythmias secondary to theophylline intoxication constitute one of the life-threatening effects of overdose.” Hall et al reported ventricular tachycardia in four of 22 patients with theophylline toxicity over a wide range of serum theophylline levels. Paloucek and Bodvold, in a cumulative review of published cases of theophylhine toxicity, reported ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation in 20 percent of patients with intentional overdose and 5 percent of patients with iatrogenic toxicity. This potential for ventricular arrhythmias is one reason why supportive care of patients with theophylhine toxicity includes vigilant ECG.' ―Bender⁽⁴⁾

theo7.png

So a person is almost forced into believing that theophylline would be primarily responsible for yerba maté's cardiac effects. But theophylline hasn't been reported in some assays, leading many to disregard it.

'The fact that theophylline has been difficult to find in varying tests on Mate may be due to theophylline metabolism into caffeine and theobromine.' ―Heck⁽⁵⁾

Theophylline is the theobromine precursor, lacking only one methyl group—the final methyl group yields caffeine. It's concentration might depend on the age of the plant, for one, and perhaps even on things such as temperature and rainfall. There could be effects stemming from one-carbon availability (the 'methyl pool' of the plant). Caffeine always appears to outnumber it's precursors and can perhaps be seen as the final product; caffeine is fully-saturated with N-methyl groups.

theo8.png
Capillary electrophoresis–UV absorption spectra

The above theophylline concentration is more ambiguous than the others since its peak (3) co-elutes with the most interfering species, limiting resolution by obscuring the peak's bottom. But the integrated peak area (concentration) can still be estimated based upon its height and its predicted shape, and theophylline's peak does appear every bit as salient as theobromine's for this particular infusion. The methylxanthines above had been extracted using distilled water, so this is a realistic representation of a home yerba maté infusion. (Discerning readers may note the methylxanthine elution order is different than their water solubility order given in Image III, above. This somewhat unexpected result is likely on account of them having added sodium borate and sodium dodecyl sulfate before the electrophoresis step.)

'theophylline can release catecholamines from the adrenal medulla.' ―Piafsky⁽³⁾

'With A₂-receptor systems, theobromine is much less potent than caffeine.' ―Daly⁽¹⁾

Theobromine is certainly the kitten of the bunch, the little brother of the methylxanthine family. Since any food with theobromine can also be expected to have caffeine in higher concentrations, it's probably never worth considering. Theophylline on the other hand is much more potent than caffeine and could thus have substantial effects at lower concentrations. I think you'd expect yerba maté's methylxanthine profile to be somewhat variable. A person aiming to limit theophylline intake could perhaps try other brands grown in different geographical regions.

[1] Daly, J. "Subclasses of adenosine receptors in the central nervous system: interaction with caffeine and related methylxanthines." Cellular and molecular neurobiology (1983)
[2] Martin, A. "Extended Hildebrand solubility approach: methylxanthines in mixed solvents." Journal of pharmaceutical sciences (1981)
[3] Piafsky, K. "Dosage of theophylline in bronchial asthma." New England Journal of Medicine (1975)
[4] Bender, P. "Cardiac arrhythmias during theophylline toxicity." Chest (1991)
[5] Heck, C. "Yerba Mate Tea (Ilex paraguariensis): a comprehensive review on chemistry, health implications, and technological considerations." Journal of food science (2007)

Travis

@Sobieski
Despite your assumed and never explicityly specified 'toxins,' herbivorous animals do generally live longer than carnivorous ones. This can be be easily verified by anyone, should they time to compare lifespans between the two.

raypeatclips

Despite your assumed and never explicityly specified 'toxins,' herbivorous animals do generally live longer than carnivorous ones. This can be be easily verified by anyone, should they time to compare lifespans between the two.

Of all the centenarian reports I've read, none are springing to mind that mentioned being vegetarian and vegan. They all seem very relaxed with diet and eat fairly "normally" i.e a bit of meat, a bit of vegetables, a bit of dairy, a bit of wheat (bread, desserts etc) Perhaps I am just forgetting the vegetarian/vegan reports I will read up on them again.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals