Genetic Entropy - Can Random Mutations And Selection Create Information?

Gone Peating

Genetic Entropy was written by John Sanford, a plant biologist who worked at Cornell University. Before his more recent writings Sanford was famous for patenting the "gene therapy gun" that has allowed scientists to create GMOs. (Obviously, now we know this was not a very good idea but the scientist's original intentions were not necessarily bad.) This thread is not about GMOs I only brought up his background to provide some information on who he is and his credibility - please do not begin discussing GMOs I only want to discuss "genetic entropy".

This is one of the most logical, well-written books I have been fortunate to come across. I don't want to make this post too long but I do want to try to do justice to Sanford's book (I strongly believe everyone here should read it as you will know within the first two chapters whether or not you think his central argument is right or wrong, it is only $10). I believe you all should read it because if Sanford is correct that life could not have evolved by natural selection acting on random mutations, then it would have enormous implications for our worldview and how we see one another and all of life around us. At no point in his book (only in the prologue and epilogue) does Sanford bring in religious ideas to bolster his argument, it's all arguing based on science and logic.

Sanford's main argument boils down to this: random mutations and natural selection (how most people today claim life came to be) can never result in the creation of information, and even if they could, they cannot slow down the degradation of genomes or genetic entropy. Mutation can only result in a loss of information, sometimes this loss of information (how GMO corn came to be which just caused the loss of gene that resulted in modern corn being lower in phytic acid and thus sweeter) can be seen to have beneficial effects from our view BUT IT IS STILL A LOSS OF GENETIC INFORMATION NONETHELESS. He calls the general acceptance of the modern view of evolution "The Primary Axiom" and claims that even though evolution by natural selection as an explanation for the origin of life makes sense IN THEORY, the evidence for how it would go about creating life (genetic information) and maintaining life (mutations can be both good and bad) just simply are not there.

From Sanford's website:

"Genetic entropy is most easily understood on a personal level. In our bodies there are roughly 3 new mutations (word-processing errors), every cell division. Our cells become more mutant, and more divergent from each other every day. By the time we are old, each of our cells has accumulated tens of thousands of mutations. Mutation accumulation is the primary reason we grow old and die. This level of genetic entropy is easy to understand.

There is another level of genetic entropy that affects us as a population. Because mutations arise in all of our cells, including our reproductive cells, we pass many of our new mutations to our children. So mutations continuously accumulate in the population – with each generation being more mutant than the last. So not only do we undergo genetic degeneration personally, we also are undergoing genetic degeneration as a population. This is essentially evolution going the wrong way. Natural selection can slow down, but cannot stop, genetic entropy on the population level."

This brings us to his first point, even though mutations could result in beneficial results mutations are almost always negative (they are typically what he terms "near-neutral" mutations in that they usually don't have any effects on our fitness, if you get a random mutation you don't grow a third eyeball-usually nothing happens). But that near-neutral quality of the vast majority of mutations makes them that much deadlier - it's how they are able to accumulate in a species' genome undetected generation after generation.

Natural selection does not sit there with a magnifying glass proofreading all of the little mutations that occur in each animal. Natural selection does not work at the level of the genome, but at the level of the organism. It either accepts or rejects the whole organism/genome - it does not accept/reject certain genes (its ability to accept/reject animals is even overblown, most of life's ability to survive and reproduce is mostly down to luck and he demonstrates this mathematically citing multiple models/experiments). And each organism that natural selection selects for (yes, even the cream of the crop, the Apollo Creeds and the Dolph Lundgrens) come with their own set of mutations that they will pass on to their children and their children will pass those on in addition to mutations they accumulate to their children and so on.

"Apart from intelligence, information and information systems always degenerate. This is obviously true in the human realm, but is equally true in the biological realm (contrary to what evolutionists claim). The more technical definition of entropy, as used by engineers and physicists, is simply a measure of disorder. Technically, apart from any external intervention, all functional systems degenerate, consistently moving from order to disorder (because entropy always increases in any closed system). For the biologist it is more useful to employ the more general use of the word entropy, which conveys that since physical entropy is ever-increasing (disorder is always increasing), therefore there is universal tendency for all biological information systems to degenerate over time - apart from intelligent intervention."

Now, the genome is almost inconceivably complex - it fits more information into a space smaller than a speck of dust than we can fit into all the supercomputers in the world. Keep in mind that when it comes to mutations while a point mutation might not seem like a big deal it really is when you consider how the genome is read. The genome is not read merely like we read a book; it is also read in reverse and the genome even moves into three dimensional shapes to be read. So evn thogh yu can see what this sentence means with those three point mutations, imagine how much more difficult it would be with the sentence also needing to be read in reverse or if somehow we could invent a three dimensional language - the negative effects of the mutation would be compounded dramatically.

If we think of each genome as a nearly perfect set of instructions to build that particular organism, what is the likelihood that random blips in the instructions will lead to the creation of new and better instructions? What is the likelihood that random letter changes in the instruction manual for an airplane would eventually over time lead to the creation of a spaceship? I think that even if you gave that instruction manual a billion years the answer would still be basically zero.

This has not even been a great showcase of what is in his book. Before I read Sanford's book I really had no dog in the fight - I accepted evolution was true and didn't think much of it, but now I realize most of my acceptance of it as true was taken on faith. I can remember back to an evolution course I took in college when the professor was teaching us about Darwin's finches on the Galapagos and how after droughts only those with a certain size beak survived and reproduced. I told her that made sense, but a certain beak size or a certain color scheme on a parrot being selected for seems a lot different than a flagellum coming to form over time (seeing as each individual part of it is essentially useless on its own and if each individual mutation isn't beneficial then how would all 20 or 30 necessary to form the flagellum have been consecutively selected for)? She replied that it was a good question but that given enough time evolution could do it and I just needed to trust her. Sanford also discusses the typical "give it millions and millions of years" argument and shows that it too is a largely inadequate explanation.

That's enough text for now, this was more to peak curiosity than to serve as an argument against evolution - for that you really will need to read the book! I promise, within the first two chapters he will have made his central thesis and you will pretty much know whether you think his argument is sound or not. Hope this was not too long and boring! I also don't really want to argue about this unless you have read at least the first two chapters of his book, so please don't start attacking me for being "anti-science" or "creationist" or something like that until you have read the book. Thank you!

Last edited:

DrJ

As something of a counterpoint, you might be interested in Guenter Albrecht-Buehler's work on 'Functional Anarchy of Genomes':

http://www.basic.northwestern.edu/g-buehler/genomes/genome.htm

He basically argues that the nature of the genome is roughly self-stable, that only certain mutation directions are stable (on a pretty short time scale), and that if a new stable direction is achieved through mutation you get a new 'order'.

It would not really be a Darwinist interpretation, however, as in this paradigm natural selection is only a 'late-comer' effect to guiding the genome direction, and that the nature of the genome itself probably has a much more important role in the direction of mutations available to be 'selected for' and is thus more fundamental to the path that the genome can take vs. random mutations with 'natural selection' (more function of environment).

Noodlz2

This line of thought was explored in the most recent episode of the Uncommon Knowledge program hosted by Stanford's Hoover Institution.

Everyone's credentials are very impressive, a point raised to defend the topic and vouch for the quality of the discussion.

David Berlinski, one of the people interviewed, is in another episode on the same topic.

revenant

Interesting topic.

I think our current understanding of evolution doesn't sufficiently explain everything. The idea that nature weeds out bad mutations and favors the good, and then complexity emerges by adding mutation upon mutation, sounds good but seems to have some holes in the theory.

Insect metamorphosis, for example (see Does Darwin's Evolution Theory explain metamorphosis caterpillar to butterfly? | Page 1 | Naked Science Forum for a short discussion on the topic). Yes, there is an evolutionary advantage to metamorphosis, but how did it evolve in the survival of the fittest? How is it "fitness" to turn into mush and die? Surely the first mutations had to just cause the caterpillar to die. No single mutation could be responsible for complete metamorphosis.

LeeLemonoil

Thanks OP for bringing this up, will read the book.

Some perspective is needed in climate-change hysteria. Entropy. The Ecosphere is degenerating and humans are never able to understand, let alone influence the forces and mechanisms at play to either stop CC nor to have influenced that ultracomplex system in a manner that would justify calling the main thrust of climate change as „anthropogenic“.

Things wane, wither, die because of entropy. That’s why AMPK cellular pathway, autophagy and so forth have some good effects on temporary health. Build back and reorganize before entropy sets in again.
The universe expands and collapses then rebangs all over again. Elon musk thinks we are in a computer simulation .... Coffee break!

OP
G

Gone Peating

As something of a counterpoint, you might be interested in Guenter Albrecht-Buehler's work on 'Functional Anarchy of Genomes':

http://www.basic.northwestern.edu/g-buehler/genomes/genome.htm

He basically argues that the nature of the genome is roughly self-stable, that only certain mutation directions are stable (on a pretty short time scale), and that if a new stable direction is achieved through mutation you get a new 'order'.

It would not really be a Darwinist interpretation, however, as in this paradigm natural selection is only a 'late-comer' effect to guiding the genome direction, and that the nature of the genome itself probably has a much more important role in the direction of mutations available to be 'selected for' and is thus more fundamental to the path that the genome can take vs. random mutations with 'natural selection' (more function of environment).

That sounds interesting I'll add it to my reading list thank you

OP
G

Gone Peating

Ah no, won’t read the book... the guy believes the earth is 100k years old.

He didn't start out presupposing that, he was initially an atheist

He came to believe it after years of research and thinking, he cites a lot of evidence to show that the history of life and of our genetic code is much shorter than we might think

My atheist friend who I suggested this book to completely agrees with Sanford that the "primary axiom" of Darwinian evolution is false. I believe he is also still an atheist

OP
G

Gone Peating

Interesting topic.

I think our current understanding of evolution doesn't sufficiently explain everything. The idea that nature weeds out bad mutations and favors the good, and then complexity emerges by adding mutation upon mutation, sounds good but seems to have some holes in the theory.

Insect metamorphosis, for example (see Does Darwin's Evolution Theory explain metamorphosis caterpillar to butterfly? | Page 1 | Naked Science Forum for a short discussion on the topic). Yes, there is an evolutionary advantage to metamorphosis, but how did it evolve in the survival of the fittest? How is it "fitness" to turn into mush and die? Surely the first mutations had to just cause the caterpillar to die. No single mutation could be responsible for complete metamorphosis.

This is a very good point. Nobody in the thread provided a good response imo, it was either "given enough time evolution can do anything" or just insulting the OP

LeeLemonoil

He didn't start out presupposing that, he was initially an atheist

He came to believe it after years of research and thinking, he cites a lot of evidence to show that the history of life and of our genetic code is much shorter than we might think

My atheist friend who I suggested this book to completely agrees with Sanford that the "primary axiom" of Darwinian evolution is false. I believe he is also still an atheist

There‘s a lot valid and diverse critic to many aspects of canonical Darwinism - to me, an indication that it cannot stand in its entirety without it becoming a dogma.

I‘ve no stake in the debate to justify atheism or faith / being religious with sciencetific theories.
I think there is much evidence that life on earth is certainly older than 100k years .
And someone turning from Atheist to such an extreme position, is not seldomly a reason for being sceptic. Late converts are often zealots that twist reality to their narratives. But I cannot know in case of Sanford without reading his work of course. No insult intended to him or you!

LeeLemonoil

Note: I don’t consider intelligent design an extreme position. But the „young earth“-branch or what it is called.

OP
G

Gone Peating

Note: I don’t consider intelligent design an extreme position. But the „young earth“-branch or what it is called.

There‘s a lot valid and diverse critic to many aspects of canonical Darwinism - to me, an indication that it cannot stand in its entirety without it becoming a dogma.

I‘ve no stake in the debate to justify atheism or faith / being religious with sciencetific theories.
I think there is much evidence that life on earth is certainly older than 100k years .
And someone turning from Atheist to such an extreme position, is not seldomly a reason for being sceptic. Late converts are often zealots that twist reality to their narratives. But I cannot know in case of Sanford without reading his work of course. No insult intended to him or you!

Look, you can't just label it "an extreme position" without having read what he said. That's as foolish as someone in the 1800s hearing about Darwin's book and saying "I would never read such an extreme position".

He makes a very compelling case that our genetic code is much younger than we think.

Sanford is hardly someone I would label a zealot fanatic - his ability to make points logically and concisely is almost unmatched by anyone I have ever read period, especially in comparison to other scientists

LeeLemonoil

„Young Earth creationism (YEC) is a form of creationism which holds as a central tenet that the Earth and its lifeforms were created in their present forms by supernatural acts of a deitybetween approximately 6,000 and 10,000 years ago.“

I don’t doubt Sandfords substantial intelligence and intellect. And when he uses those capacities to „make points logically and concisely“ in defense of an extreme position like YEC, those points might be well put in the context of their inner logic.

The position in itself remains an extreme position, against overwhelming evidence to be false. If one cannot accept ones own position to be grotesquely wrong and disproven and make elaborate attempts to hold it up nonetheless - that’s, to me at least, zealotish.

OP
G

Gone Peating

„Young Earth creationism (YEC) is a form of creationism which holds as a central tenet that the Earth and its lifeforms were created in their present forms by supernatural acts of a deitybetween approximately 6,000 and 10,000 years ago.“

I don’t doubt Sandfords substantial intelligence and intellect. And when he uses those capacities to „make points logically and concisely“ in defense of an extreme position like YEC, those points might be well put in the context of their inner logic.

The position in itself remains an extreme position, against overwhelming evidence to be false. If one cannot accept ones own position to be grotesquely wrong and disproven and make elaborate attempts to hold it up nonetheless - that’s, to me at least, zealotish.

It's not like he started out with that "extreme position" and set out to prove it. He arrived at the conclusion after all the years of his research.

Also the idea that "extreme positions" must always be rejected is a bit of an extreme position itself

LeeLemonoil

&
It's not like he started out with that "extreme position" and set out to prove it. He arrived at the conclusion after all the years of his research.

Also the idea that "extreme positions" must always be rejected is a bit of an extreme position itself

The last bit doesn’t apply to me or what I’ve written I‘m sorry. I‘m very open to novel ways of thinking especially in physiology, I give many thoughts the benefit of the doubt.

A belief that the earth is no older than 10000 years though leaves no option than rejection. It’s wrong and that’s it. I imagine Sandford arrived at that „conclusion“ out of fear. A guy who obviously found many indications for the princip of entropy seeked refuge from that thought in a belief of a higher entity / deity. Some higher being that eventually could stop or save humans from the forces of entropy. That’s a contradiction in itself and borders on schizophrenia.

Literally

It’s wrong and that’s it.

You just don't get it, @LeeLemonoil. God put the fossil record there to fool us.

(kidding of course)

I looked at Sanford recently and from what I recall, his ideas around genetic information theory can easily be disproven by modern simulations in the areas of genetic algorithms, genetic programming, evolutionary computation, etc. It's absolutely possible to "create" information using stochastic methods based on evolution. When someone says a thing isn't possible, but it's possible even with mathematical toy versions of a concept, any credibility is lost.

It also seems disingenuous to suggest that these ideas just came out of his research, when IIRC Sanford has a religious background. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but he wouldn't be the only one to take a pre-established religious notion and try real hard to find a theory that fits it. That YEC isn't even directly supported by the Bible, no one seems to care. It's cherished dogma.

Incidentally, David Gelertner rejects a young earth theory, and also does not believe that an intelligent design theory necessarily follows from his criticism of evolution. Gelertner's does not have biology training btw and it shows. He hasn't been able to publish in science journals, rather he has gotten into political journals with this stuff. There's nothing even new to his arguments, they are log debunked.

Last edited:

LeeLemonoil

I‘ve given up on those kind of guys. As I said, they are, if they aren’t zealots, fearful, petty characters.
Everybody knows how easygoing adopted and alluring theories about transcendent deities, realism etc. are, especially if some „scientists“ gives a good explaination that is congruent at a first glance. Especially when you’re young.

Well, I’m not that young anymore. And I’m not a coward. We all die. If there is another form of existence, well thank god (!), if not. That sucks. What can we little suckers do about how we will be received in a potential other dimension. Nothing. Human ethics are a sad endeavour.

I have an IQ over 145. That doesn’t necessarily amount to anything. But I have come to like the thought of being able to wipe the intellectual floor with most clever types that spin the big ideological wheel, let alone the Sandfords of the world that find „proof“ of god in pseudo-scientific rationals.
Those sicken me, to be frank. Bah.

Literally

Personally I do believe in God. It's one reason that bad science by religious people really bothers me... when smart people dig into these arguments, they often end up rejecting God.

I think most people can agree that if there is a God, he didn't mean his existence to be easily observable. It would be super easy for him to have a YouTube channel for instance, or you know, just appear in the sky. I believe there is a mystical component to people's existence... sometimes they have an opportunity to see what isn't readily apparent in general.

LeeLemonoil

I‘m not against a belief in god. But as you say, god is beyond our rational, logical grasp. But also the mystic route is to be sceptically observed. Many mystical experiences come down to physiological phenomenons.
We sometimes feel god, we sometimes feel boundless emptiness. Acceptance and humility are the pathes I feel the most spiritual upon. And that’s seldom enough.

OP
G

Gone Peating

You just don't get it, @LeeLemonoil. God put the fossil record there to fool us.

(kidding of course)

I looked at Sanford recently and from what I recall, his ideas around genetic information theory can easily be disproven by modern simulations in the areas of genetic algorithms, genetic programming, evolutionary computation, etc. It's absolutely possible to "create" information using stochastic methods based on evolution. When someone says a thing isn't possible, but it's possible even with mathematical toy versions of a concept, any credibility is lost.

It also seems disingenuous to suggest that these ideas just came out of his research, when IIRC Sanford has a religious background. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but he wouldn't be the only one to take a pre-established religious notion and try real hard to find a theory that fits it. That YEC isn't even directly supported by the Bible, no one seems to care. It's cherished dogma.

Incidentally, David Gelertner rejects a young earth theory, and also does not believe that an intelligent design theory necessarily follows from his criticism of evolution. Gelertner's does not have biology training btw and it shows. He hasn't been able to publish in science journals, rather he has gotten into political journals with this stuff. There's nothing even new to his arguments, they are log debunked.

1) He dedicates a long chapter to these modern simulations that you mention, and discusses all of the ways that scientists use presuppositions in their models that are highly unrealistic. He then walks you through his own models that have corrected for these unrealistic assumptions. You can find the exact software that they use for their simulations online Mendel's Accountant | Home

2) Once again, saying Sanford "has a religious background" is not really true. It's not like he was a creationist or even a Christian and then sought out scientific evidence to justify that belief. He began formulating all of these ideas and arguments while he was still an atheist. It was only years later that he became a Christian.

3) I agree about Gelernter, he doesn't really add much, but then again his area of expertise (computer science) is a bit unrelated. That has nothing to do with Sanford and Genetic Entropy though

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals