The Science Speaks For Itself - A Newbie Here :)

Justysmom

Hi

I spent the last few days reading everything I could get my hands on that was "Ray Peat" It all just makes sense and if only everyone would follow this protocol the Docs and Big Pharma would be out of business but I digress...

I think I have the grasp of what and what not to eat but my only dilemma is that I am by choice and for ethical reasons a vegetarian. I love potatoes though which is good and dairy so hoping that would give me enough protein without having to add gelatin. I am wondering if there are others on the forum with the same dilemma? Would love to hear how you deal with this.

My issue is not so much thyroid (seems to be working well so far) but rather estrogen dominance since going in to menopause and have ordered the Progest E but really want to follow the rest of the protocol so I can feel at my best. This looks like an awesome forum with a lot of knowledgeable people posting, so glad to be a part of it.
Cheers,

Monicka

J

j.

I guess take a bunch of supplements for the nutrients you don't get due to not eating animals.

Vitamin mk4, for example, which is obtained via nutrition exclusively from animals, is made however in laboratory from some parts of the tobacco plant, if I recall correctly, so in this case the vitamin k won't be made from animals sources, even though traditionally we only get it from animals. I think some others to watch out for are vitamin A and B12.

Mittir

Estrogen blocks thyroid function. If you have estrogen dominance it is very likely you have
low thyroid function. He also does not like people calling his recommendations as protocol.
He makes recommendation based on scientific studies. He has not written any official diet book yet.
He once commented on Indian vegetarian diet. He thinks a vegetarian diet based on
dairy and fruits is really healthy. You will need a good source of vitamin A. He recommends
egg yolk for vitamin A. He also said that fruits can be a good source of protein too.
Depending on variety ,Guava can have 2.5 percent protein.
Daily raw carrot salad with some coconut oil and vinegar is very helpful
at lowing estrogen. Grassfed milk has better vitamin content than grainfed.
Potato juice can be a good source of protein and vitamins, about 2.5 percent protein.

OP
J

Justysmom

"He also does not like people calling his recommendations as protocol."

Gotcha on the protocol term - like I said just a newbie trying to find my way so Iearning as I go :) Thanks everyone for the advice - much appreciated.

marcar72

I would think "Peating" vegetarian style would be very doable so long as you're a lacto-vegetarian which it seems you are. Gelatin is mainly used to balance out the amino acid profiles of muscle meats, but some people take it just for the protein itself. Ray Peat himself has said gelatin is not needed for milk protein as the other nutrients help with that. (I've always assumed the vitamin b6 in milk converts the tryptophan to b3 mostly) The only thing I can think of for a vegetarian would be to substitute a lot of quality dark chocolate for liver and oysters and to avoid most vegetables oddly enough. :lol: If I were to go this route I'd see myself drinking 3 to 4 quarts of lowfat milk a day(or cheese equivalent), a quart of OJ a day, a banana or two a day(more b6), and probably 100 grams of 85% dark chocolate a day for the most part. Heck with just a couple changes I'd be there myself. (if I nix the liver/occasional steak for chocolate, nixed the gelatin, and nixed 2 raw egg yolks/day)

Jenn

You can live very well on just potatoes and coconut oil and salt. A little boring, but you would be getting all the nutrition you needed. You might have to eat 10lbs a day to get enough protein, unless you supplemented with cheese or other dairy.

I am an ex vegan. I raise my own milk/meat now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals