What's your age?

37, female, breastfeeding

How did you find the forum?

google

How did you find Ray Peat's work?

googleing after new doc gave me hormone tests

How long have you been Peating?

haven't started, trying to figure it out

I am a 37 year old female, and I have probably been low thyroid my whole life. I went to an endo about 6 years ago and took levoxil per his instructions. Along the way, I had a vertical Sleeve gastrectomy and lost 165 lbs and felt great. I had a baby last year and am breast feeding. My parents followed the work of Broda Barns in the 60's and 70's so I decided to try and find a dr that was more in line with his work on thyroid. My tests came back and I am low thyroid, high cortisol in am, low in some vitamins etc. (I will post the details when the little on takes his nap).

So I was prescribed Armor thyroid, progesterone cream, estrogen cream, and a variety of nutritional supps including iodine (I will post the details at nap time). Since I am breast feeding a 14month old, I decided to google the estrogen and progesterone supps, and that is how I found out about Dr. Peat's work. I wasn't comfortable supplementing estrogen in the first place because it could effect my milk supply, and after reading some of Peat's writings I am even more uncomfortable with the estrogen (I'm not taking it).

The good news is my new doc thinks of himself as an advisor, rather than a "must follow" person so I think I can work with him to get what I need. The bad news is, I don't know what that is exactly.

Is there a "beginners guide to starting Peat"? I am quite busy with a little one, so while I usually love research, I would love to just cut to the chase. The food is one thing, but the daily habits (what time should I go to bed/get up? eat carrot salad? take the supplements?) and some other things I noticed- How do I know I need to take cream of tater in my OJ? How do I know if I need Mag. water? What is the best thyroid and where do I find it?

I have started the Armour and the progesterone cream and am noticing a difference. (about a week on both)

My head is spinning at the moment. Any help would be great.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
new2peat, :welcome

It sounds like you are already off to a great start. Find out what works best for you personally takes time to figure out and truthfully is probably never ending. Limiting PUFA as much as possible is key. Try to keep it under 4 grams a day. Make sure to get enough of high quality protein along with the right amount of carbs to balance it. For bed I think being in bed before 10 is best for me, but thats always hard to do. lol I tried the cream of tartar and it gave me heartburn. Milk and OJ have potassium in them. Good thyroid function is what controls magnesium so limiting PUFA will help that. Carrot salad is amazing. Coconut oil too. Make sure to get enough light, and fresh air. And try not to stress things too much. Peat is totally anti-stress. Just take it a day at a time and you will notice that the days start to get a little brighter. :)

See you around. :hattip

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals