Testosterone Replacement Therapy for women/menopause?

Philomath

I ran across this site while searching the effects of excess testosterone supplementation in women. It’s a group called Winona and they talk glowingly about the positive effects of TRT for women.

When testosterone levels drop the benefits of replacing the lost TRT are many. Testosterone levels in women help drive lIbido, sexual response, orgasm, and overall sexual satisfaction.2 Testosterone also helps improve lean muscle mass; these added muscles can increase metabolic rate and helps with weight loss.3 Replacing low testosterone to normal levels can also improve energy and decrease fatigue.4,5

Testosterone helps with brain function by improving concentration, clarity of thought, and overall cognition.6 Testosterone improves bone health and may be breast protective.1,3,6 Finally, testosterone replacement to your normal youthful levels has an anti-aging component for skin, hair, and nails and has been shown to improve the overall quality of life and a general feeling of wellbeing.5

We use DHEA, sometimes in combination with anastrozole, to gently and safely return testosterone to normal levels. DHEA is a testosterone precursor. The body naturally breaks down DHEA into a combination of estrogen and testosterone. This is a natural way to replace falling testosterone to normal levels without risking going too far and ending up with dangerously high testosterone levels. Anastrozole is a medication that can block the conversion of DHEA to estrogen. By adding anastrozole, more of the DHEA ends up as testosterone. This can give a slightly higher testosterone boost for women that need a bit more testosterone.”

I find it interesting that they mention taking an AI like anastraziole as being key, but portray it as a means of preventing “dangerously high levels of testosterone”. Obvious deference to their estrogen sugar daddys.

That said, I have 3 questions:
1. Is low testosterone as “detrimental” to women as it is to men?
2. Would DHEA supplementation along with a better/safer aromatase inhibitor (aspirin, aromisin, MB, ondasterone,) be recommended?
3. Is there a better/safer way to increase testosterone in women?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I used it some during the menopause transition and I’m glad I did. For some reason dhea would give me facial hair but small amounts of testosterone didn’t. I haven’t felt I’ve needed it in quite a while but I’m probably at 7 years post menopause now. It was definitely challenging for about 5 years though. I wish I had discovered Peat earlier in life because progesterone, thyroid and some idealabs products helped me tremendously but I still had a fairly rough menopause.

CMPnutrition

I used it some during the menopause transition and I’m glad I did. For some reason dhea would give me facial hair but small amounts of testosterone didn’t. I haven’t felt I’ve needed it in quite a while but I’m probably at 7 years post menopause now. It was definitely challenging for about 5 years though. I wish I had discovered Peat earlier in life because progesterone, thyroid and some idealabs products helped me tremendously but I still had a fairly rough menopause.
Hi @Blossom I would love to know specifically how you incorporated Testosterone. I am losing muscle quickly and am already peating (have been for a year), already on thyroid and progest e. I tried DHEA and gives me estrogen effects (sore breasts and facial hair). I want to try super low dose T just to rebuild muscle so I can prevent any more loss. Would love to hear any specifics, how you used (Troches or topical) where you sourced, etc. Thanks so much. It is hard to find good T info for women.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi @Blossom I would love to know specifically how you incorporated Testosterone. I am losing muscle quickly and am already peating (have been for a year), already on thyroid and progest e. I tried DHEA and gives me estrogen effects (sore breasts and facial hair). I want to try super low dose T just to rebuild muscle so I can prevent any more loss. Would love to hear any specifics, how you used (Troches or topical) where you sourced, etc. Thanks so much. It is hard to find good T info for women.
I just mixed the raw powder in dmso and applied it topically below my waist or on my upper thighs. I made mine to be equivalent to 300mcg per drop.

frannybananny

I just mixed the raw powder in dmso and applied it topically below my waist or on my upper thighs. I made mine to be equivalent to 300mcg per drop.
@Blossom, where do you get testosterone powder? Are you getting a lot of your supps from India or prescription?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@frannybananny, I really need to figure out sources for powders though especially for progesterone. I haven’t used testosterone much in the last couple of years so I’m not too worried about that in particular but if I find a decent source I’ll let you know. I did try a very small amount of my husband’s testosterone gel years ago and it was very hard to get it in a small enough amount in the gel. I accidentally got too much on my skin one day and I became very irritated- it definitely impacted my mood in a negative way. I’ve switched to dhea and it’s working well for me now. In the past it gave me some unwanted hairs but that hasn’t happened lately. Testosterone oddly never did that for some reason.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals