Not a "male" hormone - testosterone (T) beneficial for female heart health

haidut

Forum Supporter
It always feels good to read an article on a scientific discovery and have one of the authors put on his Peat-y hat and quote Peat directly. I am joking, of course, but the study below and the statements from its lead author do sound like Peat had a significant participation in the study write-up, as well as in the education of its authors. Namely, the study discusses the strong inverse correlation between androgens, such as T and DHEA, and cardiovacular disease risk, especially in post-menopause women. Just as importantly, the benefits of higher androgens were progressive and started manifesting themselves as low as the 25% percentile of the range for each steroid. And perhaps most surprisingly, the study found that while low androgens did result in much higher CVD risk in women, lower estrogens (estrone) did not. So much for the mainstream hypothesis of "the estrogen deficiency of menopause, causing chronic diseases"...Now, I may actually email the authors and suggest that in their next study they test not estrone (which doctors think is the predominant serum estrogen in menopausal women), but rather estrone sulfate (E1S), which has been shown to serve as the most reliable biomarker of total-body estrogenic reserves/load. I'd venture a guess that if E1S was measured instead, the relationship with CVD would have been positive (contributing) and not negative/inverse (protective).

DEFINE_ME
Testosterone could be beneficial for women

"...Australian researchers are challenging the notion testosterone is a "male" hormone that is bad for women. Higher testosterone may actually protect older women from cardiovascular disease, a Monash University study released on Tuesday has found. Researchers measured blood testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and oestrogen levels in thousands of healthy women over 70 with no prior cardiovascular disease events. Older women with low blood testosterone and DHEA concentrations, but not low oestrogen, were found to have "twice the risk of a cardiovascular event" such as a heart attack or heart failure than those with higher testosterone. "The apparent protective effects of testosterone and DHEA appeared to emerge early, with the higher three quartiles for each hormone tracking together," the research paper stated. It is the largest prospective longitudinal study of its kind of women 70 and older and dispels the myth that a higher concentration of testosterone in the blood was associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease in older women. "We need to stop thinking about testosterone as a 'male' hormone that is bad for women. It is an important human hormone for both women and men," study lead Professor Susan Davis said."

LeeLemonoil

Impressive Resume.
Props for Peatfessor Davis.

Professor Davis has made a leading contribution to the understanding of the role of androgens and oestrogens in multiple non-reproductive target tissues including the brain (cognition, mood, sexual function), cardiovascular system (lipids, vascular function and coagulation) and other tissues (fat, muscle, joint cartilage and bone). She has published over 450 peer-reviewed manuscripts, has been an invited lecturer to over 200 international conferences and presented 100 distinguished plenary lectures.
Prof Davis has received numerous national and international prestigious research awards. These include the Australian Endocrine Society Senior Plenary Award (2019) and Life Membership (2020), Distinguished Service Award and Life Membership of the International Menopause Society (2020) and the International Excellence in Endocrinology Laureate Award of the Endocrine Society USA (2015). In 2021 Prof Davis was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to medicine, to women's health as a clinical endocrinologist and researcher, and to medical education.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Very interesting! How can women safely increase their testosterone?

DHEA, in small amounts of no more than 5mg per dose, gets converted mainly into T in women. Virtually all studies with women and oral DHEA show increase in serum T, while for males serum androgen values usually do not change with physiological doses (<15mg daily), but metabolites of DHT sharply rise.

freyasam

DHEA, in small amounts of no more than 5mg per dose, gets converted mainly into T in women. Virtually all studies with women and oral DHEA show increase in serum T, while for males serum androgen values usually do not change with physiological doses (<15mg daily), but metabolites of DHT sharply rise.
Thanks haidut. Now I want to try DHEA. I suspect I might have low T as a woman because of the massive belly fat I can't seem to lose no matter how optimized I get my diet and thyroid supplementation.

psans

Thanks haidut. Now I want to try DHEA. I suspect I might have low T as a woman because of the massive belly fat I can't seem to lose no matter how optimized I get my diet and thyroid supplementation.
I would also recommend a detox with flushing niacin

dr wu got amazing results with niacin on soldiers that had gulf war syndrome

kind of sucks niacin therapy was invented by the king if the hucksters ,arch scientologist L Ron Hubbard ,but I guess even a broke clock is right twice a day,and even a stupid moron like L Ron is right once or twice a lifetime

niacin therapy you start at 250-500 mg and wlrk your way up to 5-10 grams for 3-6 months

there is a huge component to obesity that has much more to do with how toxic we are,than calories in and calories out

im assuming you avoid PUFAs as much as reasonable and make an effort to replace those PUFAs with saturated fats , especially high sat fat coconut oil?

best of luck

I hope you find something that helps

RePeatRePeat

@haidut Do you think a regimen of 5mg oral DHEA twice daily (late afternoon and before bed) plus Pansterone 5 drops at night applied to the labia majora or perhaps to the inguinal areas would work to quickly start raising a post menopausal woman's testosterone? Or would Gonadin be a better route? Some other combo? I am open to whatever will work.

The heart benefits are important to me (seeing a cardiologist next week) but I am also looking to increase my muscle mass as I lost a substantial amount over the last 5 years. Never thought sarcopenia would get me as I have an active job - but I think a period of very high stress did me in. Even though I am working out again and eating plenty of protein (including Perfect Amino tablets) I can only get stronger SMALL/skinny muscles. The worst is my arms which once were very well developed. Now the skin just hangs in a wrinkly mess over small muscles.

I'm.No.One

But what if a non menopausal woman already has good DHEA levels but rock bottom T?

apr

Hey. Did it help with the belly fat?

Matestube

@haidut Do you think a regimen of 5mg oral DHEA twice daily (late afternoon and before bed) plus Pansterone 5 drops at night applied to the labia majora or perhaps to the inguinal areas would work to quickly start raising a post menopausal woman's testosterone? Or would Gonadin be a better route? Some other combo? I am open to whatever will work.

The heart benefits are important to me (seeing a cardiologist next week) but I am also looking to increase my muscle mass as I lost a substantial amount over the last 5 years. Never thought sarcopenia would get me as I have an active job - but I think a period of very high stress did me in. Even though I am working out again and eating plenty of protein (including Perfect Amino tablets) I can only get stronger SMALL/skinny muscles. The worst is my arms which once were very well developed. Now the skin just hangs in a wrinkly mess over small muscles.
I would say there is probably more benefit in taking any dose of DHEA than not taking it at all.
That being said, it has its negatives : as a male, any dose of transdermal DHEA makes me irritable and makes my sleep very agitated and unrestful.

Beastmode

Older email exchange with Peat, but might be relevant to the conversation. Of course, Peat might say something completely different now in an email, given the context of the study.

ME:
When is it a viable option for a woman to supplement with testosterone (i.e- testosterone base dissolved in vitamin e?)

I've heard of the pellots that are being pushed at anti-aging clinics for women, but those seems just as dangerous as injecting testosterone.

PEAT:
Women are even more likely to turn it into estrogen, if they are in a low thyroid, inflammatory state.

freyasam

Hey. Did it help with the belly fat?
I've only been taking it about 6 weeks so a little early to tell what it will do long-term. It did seem to help lose about half of an inch of belly fat. But I have way more than that to lose. It seemed to be very helpful in the beginning with mood and fayigue, and then the effects decreased. As a woman I am taking it with 200mg of progest-e at the same time so it doesn't convert to estrogen. 5 mg DHEA.