Taurine May Exacerbate Psoriasis!

bodacious

Paper here: Taurine intolerance in psoriasis

Extension of cutaneous lesions and increased scale loss occurred with high taurine intake. Under identical conditions of dietary taurine supplementation, activation of joint lesions took place, with diminished joint mobility and elevation of the blood sedimentation rate.

Thoughts anyone?

NathanK

What's the connection with psoriasis and sulpher metabolism?

Kidneys and liver is where I'd start to look if there are signs of taurine toxicity.

Diokine

Taurine is intimately involved in calcium homeostasis. Eicosanoids are inflammatory mediators that are implicated in psoriasis (along with prostaglandins.) These inflammatory mediators are also regulated by calcium. Is it possible that increased intracellular calcium levels (from taurine supplementation) lead to increased activity from eicosanoids? This effect would be greatly enhanced in subjects that have high FFA oxidation and PUFA levels.

Kasper

I think one of taurine main effect is actually that it blocks the increase of intra cellular calcium.

Parsifal

I've been supplementing and did not notice an increase in psoriasis, but maybe it could be that taurine increases testosterone a lot which could be converted to oestrogen?

OP
bodacious

bodacious

Ok thanks for the data :)

I haven't noticed a dramatic change in my skin with taurine but I have a few other things going on anyway so it wouldn't be a fair test.

Drareg

Taurine is shown to increase prolactin,this might explain.
It's great stuff but it does effect libido most likely in those who may already have above range prolactin.

OP
bodacious

bodacious

Taurine is shown to increase prolactin,this might explain.
It's great stuff but it does effect libido most likely in those who may already have above range prolactin.
Wow! Really!? Can you link a reference for this please?

Drareg

It's spoken about in this thread ,the research is below.
It's frustrating because it does have a calming effect,less reaction to stress,quitens the mind.

I think other substances do this also,it could be the dose of things that influence prolactin,maybe smaller amounts is neccessary throughout the day? I thinking epigenetics is at play here also,some on here report no effect on libido.

Some claimed prolactin is needed for neurogenesis,I'm not sure how accurate that is, Peat believes it's an old hormone.

Taurine More Effective Than Finasteride For Hair Loss

Effect of taurine on growth hormone and prolactin secretion in rats: possible interaction with opioid peptidergic system. - PubMed - NCBI
Effects of taurine on seizures and growth hormone release in epileptic patients. - PubMed - NCBI

docall18

Paper here: Taurine intolerance in psoriasis

Extension of cutaneous lesions and increased scale loss occurred with high taurine intake. Under identical conditions of dietary taurine supplementation, activation of joint lesions took place, with diminished joint mobility and elevation of the blood sedimentation rate.

Thoughts anyone?

Taurine can block a lot of the effects of PUFA and effectively help neutralise it.

Low PUFA intake/availability can lead to Essential Fatty Acid deficiency. Symptoms of this are dermatitis issues (ie. psoriasis).

Possibly the taurine is causing EFA deficiency.

Ray Peat believes 'EFA Deficiency' is just a deficiency of zinc or b6.

Try extra zinc (picolinate) and P5P b6 if you either take taurine/Vit E/Coconut Oil/Aspirin or restrict PUFA.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals