Autism As Neurodegenerative Disorder

Lucha

Good day to everybody who reads.

Several days ago i made quite a stupid post about taurine and meldonum for autism and adhd. Some answers put me on a right way. Thank you very much.

So, i have a three years daughter with SMA deletion. It is not full disease but a part of it (more information about symptoms in that post). At the same time she has ADHD and possible beginning of autism. I read about adhd and autism as a complex of metabolic disorders and now try to name them can help to find an optimal decision. I think it may be helpful for us and for somebody else.

Looks like too many names for just a few conditions. For now it seems very similar to diabetes (unopposed glucagon, iron overload), in publications i saw cases of comorbidity SMA and diabetes 1.

Many information about role of serotonin on the forum but still cannot understand is it main player or just effect (one of symptoms) of condition. Would be appreciate for any thoughts.

To begin with...

Evidence of neurodegeneration in autism spectrum disorder

"Evidence of neurodegeneration in the brain in ASD includes: (1) neuronal cell loss, (2) activated microglia and astrocytes, (3) proinflammatory cytokines, (4) oxidative stress, and (5) elevated 8-oxo-guanosine levels. The evidence from this review suggests that neurodegeneration underlies the loss of neurological function in children with ASD who have experienced regression and loss of previously acquired skills and abilities, and that research into treatments to address the issue of neurodegeneration in ASD are warranted."

Then, is SMA (like others neurodegeneration) is an insulin resistance...

Glucose Metabolism and Pancreatic Defects in Spinal Muscular Atrophy

"Here, we demonstrate in an SMA mouse model a dramatic cell fate imbalance within pancreatic islets, with a predominance of glucagon-producing α cells at the expense of insulin-producing β cells. These SMA mice display fasting hyperglycemia, hyperglucagonemia, and glucose resistance. We demonstrate similar abnormalities in pancreatic islets from deceased children with the severe infantile form of SMA in association with supportive evidence of glucose intolerance in at least a subset of such children."

Increased IGF-1 in muscle modulates the phenotype of severe SMA mice. - PubMed - NCBI

"We hypothesized that increased expression of IGF-1 specifically in skeletal muscle would attenuate disease features of SMAΔ7 mice. SMAΔ7 mice overexpressing a local isoform of IGF-1 (mIGF-1) in muscle showed enlarged myofibers and a 40% increase in median survival compared with mIGF-1-negative SMA littermates (median survival = 14 versus 10 days, respectively, log-rank P = 0.025). Surprisingly, this was not associated with a significant improvement in motor behavior."

IGF-1R Reduction Triggers Neuroprotective Signaling Pathways in Spinal Muscular Atrophy Mice. - PubMed - NCBI

"Recent evidence of IGF-1 axis alteration in spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), a very severe neurodegenerative disease affecting specifically the motor neurons, have triggered a renewed interest in insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) pathway activation as a potential therapeutic approach for motor neuron diseases. The present study challenges this point of view and brings the alternative hypothesis that reducing rather than enhancing the IGF-1 signaling pathway exerts a neuroprotective effect in SMA. Furthermore, the present data substantiate a newly emerging concept that the modulation of IGF-1 receptor expression is a key event selectively determining the activation level of intracellular pathways that lie downstream of the receptor. This aspect should be considered when designing IGF-1-based treatments for neurodegenerative diseases."

Correlation of insulin resistance and motor function in spinal and bulbar muscular atrophy. - PubMed - NCBI

"Revised amyotrophic lateral sclerosis functional rating scale (ALSFRS-R) correlated positively with HDL-C, but negatively with HOMA-IR. Through stepwise multiple regression analysis, we identified HOMA-IR as a significant metabolic determinant of ALSFRS-R. In biochemical analysis, we found that decreased expressions of insulin receptors, insulin receptor substrate-1 and insulin receptor-β, in autopsied muscles and fibroblasts of SBMA patients. This study demonstrates that SBMA patients have insulin resistance, which is associated with the disease severity. The expressions of insulin receptors are attenuated in the skeletal muscle of SBMA, providing a possible pathomechanism of metabolic alterations. These findings suggested that insulin resistance is a metabolic index reflecting disease severity and pathogenesis as well as a potential therapeutic target for SBMA."

Elevated plasma glucagon in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. - PubMed - NCBI

"...glucagon levels were elevated in all ALS patients compared with controls: at fasting (237 +/- 111 versus 108 +/- 46 pg/ml, p less than 0.01) and 1/2 hour (389 +/- 94 versus 133 +/- 68 pg/ml, p less than 0.001), and 2 hours postprandial (379 +/- 75 versus 108 +/- 53 pg/ml, p less than 0.001)."

...and iron overload...

Survival Motor Neuron (SMN) protein is required for normal mouse liver development

"The pronounced dark-red phenotype in SMA liver is consistent with the observed increase in RBC as a result of on-going erythropoiesis and iron overload, which is necessary for erythroblast maturation51. Therefore, iron accumulation and accompanying decrease in Ireb-2 mRNA expression in SMA liver are a likely outcome of persistent active erythropoiesis at later stages of development. Ireb-2, which is a key regulator of vertebrate cellular iron homeostasis37, is significantly reduced in embryonic stem cells with low SMN protein38. Further, motor neurons from Ireb-2−/− mice display increased ferritin and impaired mitochondrial function resulting in motor neuron degeneration52. We show increased hepatic iron and significant a reduction in Ireb-2 mRNA in SMA liver, which taken together with mitochondrial dysfunction in SMA53,54,55, suggests that iron dysregulation may be important in motor neuron degeneration, and a candidate for further study in SMA."

Brain iron and ferritin in Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases.

"The results indicate a significant selective increase of Fe3+ and ferritin in substantia nigra zona compacta but not in zona reticulata of Parkinsonian brains, confirming the biochemical estimation of iron. No such changes were observed in the same regions of DAT brains. The increase of iron is evident in astrocytes, macrophages, reactive microglia and non-pigmented neurons, and in damaged areas devoid of pigmented neurons. In substantia nigra of PD and PD/DAT, strong ferritin reactivity was also associated with proliferated microglia".

Last edited:

alywest

Hi Lucha, I am really interested in what you have been posting because I have a 4 1/2 year old son with autism. Not exactly the same issues but I am interested in nutritional support and Ray Peat's ideas, partially because I also have metabolic issues (hypothyroidism, estrogen dominance, high serotonin, etc.)

The first things that stood out to me were from your previous post where you outline your daughter's diet, and you also mentioned that she has some low thyroid issues. Cabbage is actually thyroid suppressive, but as you have thoroughly cooked it it's probably not as bad as raw cabbage. But it's something to think about.

Iron is another thing that I have been concerned about as my OB-GYN had me taking high doses of iron during my pregnancy with him, and I know I overdid it for myself as well. For adults it's easy because we can get blood drawn if we're desperate enough but for kids doing the Vitamin E as I saw you were is the best thing. Transdermal is probably the best route, but will she allow you to rub it on her gums or the roof of her mouth? Same with progesterone, it's supposed to absorb easier through the thinner membranes.

I'm also interested in trying taurine for my son. Have you tried it yet or had any noticeable results? The other thing that I have successfully given my son is cyproheptadine, as it seems to be the wonder drug for autism and a lot of things in general. I give him 2 drops of Haidut's (idealabsdc.com) in his morning juice. Also, is apple juice the only type of juice your daughter will drink? For some reason OJ is supposed to be the best, but also tart cherry juice. I think that apple juice has too much pectin? I'm not sure but I only use it occasionally. Maybe if your daughter has a hard time with store bought OJ you might try fresh squeezing an orange or two to see if she likes it. The fresh squeezed is definitely a lot milder tasting.

I know it's really difficult to eliminate foods that you know your child will eat, especially if they're really picky eaters! I struggle so much with this. Now that he's in preschool I fill his lunchbox with such random things that I know his teacher thinks I'm crazy, although I have told her I'm cutting out all starch. After all of my research since finding Peat it seems that the elimination of starches is key in reducing the particular strains of bacteria that are so prevalent in the intestines of children with autism (up to 10,000 x higher!) Check out this website for more info, I think it could be key in preventing autism if your daughter is showing certain signs: LPS and Autism

aquaman

I know this is an old thread. Have you seen Ray’s latest newsletter on autism ? May help a lot. Basically what he suggests is the exact opposite of what the doctors suggested from your first thread. Especially about contact when crying. In peat world, crying would reflect a stress.. possibly low blood sugar.

The food seems a bit low for a 3.5 year old. have you tried other foods? Like more cooked fruits.

Also why does she go to bed after 10pm? Seems very late.

I will send some quotes from the autism newsletter later if I can

What country do you live in? Do her symptoms get better in summer?

Edit: for reference, the doctor comments were:
“Doctors say: "Her health is normal. She just has adhd (may be autism in future), no sugar, no sweets, more water, more grains, don't speak to her when she cry, close her in her room when she doesn't want to sleep and so on... Be strict."”

Last edited:

Terma

Activation of 5-HT2 receptors (not sure about the others) leads to activation of pro-inflammatory markers. However it also leads to increased Cortisol, which can fight effects/forms of inflammation effectively, and then compromise the system in a different way. So it's a mixed bag. And from personal experience, sometimes you think you're dealing with inflammation response but it was that way for too long and you've gotten immune tolerant instead (and some pathogens trigger this), and this may be only partly due to Cortisol. Also high serotonin will just take away from glucose oxidation in general in most cells.

Both inflammation and cortisol (often through cortisol) will lead to diabetes and high glucose.

IGF-1 is thought to lower something important in muscle a little that I forgot what it was, lol. It definitely can help glucose regulation (it's not named insulin-like growth factor 1 just to mislead us, although some things are, like Sonic hedgehog - Wikipedia). If this happens enough in brain, it could be significant from that alone, nevermind skeletal. I don't know. But I forgot what it was, and now I can't find the study and I can't do this during the week.

However there are also differences in effects between systemically-admistered/vehicled IGF-1 and local cellular IGF-1 production (from those excerpts, I think those studies seem to know the difference) so careful how you interpret that. [e.g. cow dairy does autism little good, more the opposite for whatever reason(s), immune I imagine]

SMA specifically I haven't really read about, though.

olive

Not exactly peat friendly but try sulforaphane. It’s found in vast amounts in broccoli sprouts. You can sprout broccoli seeds yourself quite easily and is a lot more economical than buying the sprouts from a store.

olive

Not exactly peat friendly but try sulforaphane. It’s found in vast amounts in broccoli sprouts. You can sprout broccoli seeds yourself quite easily and is a lot more economical than buying the sprouts from a store.

It’s the most effective thing I’ve found for treating autism. There’s a large amount of research in progress reporting excellent results.

Collden

There is a recent book that draws parallels between autism, epilepsy, migraines, schizophrenia and alzheimers disease and hallucinatory drugs and argues that these all share similar cognitive symptoms and involve similar neurodegenerative processes that impair the ability of the brain to filter and organise sensory inputs to construct reality. AFAIK it identifies abnormal glutamate signalling as a common factor in these diseases that impair processing of sensory input.

It seems likely that a problem with metabolising glucose and generating energy could be involved in all of these diseases. Its similar to why spiritually inclined people like to fast since the lack of energy weakens the brains organising functions and facilitates hallucinatory states of mind.
https://www.amazon.com/Opening-Doors-Perception-Cosmic-Awareness/dp/1780289081

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals