An Extension Of The 'Dressed To Kill… Yourself' Series: Footwear

Amazoniac

Right of the batch I must comment that this is not to disdain the psychological effect that dressing like a warrior has, but there's a foolish side of it that deserves mention.

One of the images below contains a casual boot, can you tell which is it?

upload_2019-11-30_20-38-4.png
upload_2019-11-30_20-38-14.png

That's the picture that I have in mind when I find guys wearing heavy-duty boots on urban areas whose surfaces are so smooth and leveled that they could be used as ice skating shoes instead.

As you know, boots are usually made for tough conditions, to prevent objects from piercing through sole, to be stabilizing on challenging terrains, protect from animals, be impermeable, and so on. These features are present at the expense of factors such as mobility, you'll be wearing an archaic orthopedic cast for most of your day. The exceptional products of this category are still inappropriate for what they're being used in cities.

It's worth being wary about their effects because it can be one more unnecessary (and avoidable) stress. However when taken into account how less potent you feel in not wearing them and the decrease in chances of procreation, the stress may be considered necessary.

- Work boot design affects the way workers walk: A systematic review of the literature

"Safety boots are compulsory in many occupations to protect the feet of workers from undesirable external stimuli, particularly in harsh work environments. The unique environmental conditions and varying tasks performed in different occupations necessitate a variety of boot designs to match each worker’s occupational safety and functional requirements. Unfortunately, safety boots are often designed more for occupational safety at the expense of functionality and comfort. In fact, there is a paucity of published research investigating the influence that specific variations in work boot design have on fundamental tasks common to many occupations, such as walking."

"Interactions among the supporting surface, shoe and human body create a three-part system whereby changes in footwear can influence walking (Frederick, 1986). Substantial research exists documenting how different non-work related footwear types influence biomechanical variables that characterise walking, such as kinematics (joint ranges of motion, segmental alignment and temporal-spatial patterns), kinetics (ground reaction forces, joint moments and plantar pressure distributions) and electromyography (muscle activity patterns). For example, numerous studies have identified differences in variables characterising walking between shod and barefoot conditions (Bishop et al., 2006; Bonacci et al., 2013; Shakoor and Block, 2006), shoes of varying sole hardness/texture (Demura and Demura, 2012; Hardin et al., 2004; Kersting et al., 2005; Nigg et al., 2003; Nurse et al., 2005; Wakeling et al., 2002), differences between standard and athletic shoes (Bourgit et al., 2008; Kong et al., 2009; Lee et al., 2011) and unstable footwear (Myers et al., 2006; Nigg et al., 2006; Scott et al., 2012)."

"Boot design can alter the way the foot moves while walking, affecting the way the ground reaction forces are distributed throughout the lower limb (Redfern et al., 2001). If the lower limb is forced to move in a way that opposes its natural structural alignment, excess strain can be placed on the supporting anatomical structures, such as the ligaments, tendons and muscles, to maintain equilibrium (Böhm and Hösl, 2010; Hamill and Bensel, 1996; Neely, 1998)."

"Walking in pull-up bunker firefighting boots (see Figure 4), compared to low-cut running shoes, significantly reduced ball of foot flexion-extension and ankle plantar flexion-dorsiflexion range of motion (in both directions) in the sagittal plane (8 male and 4 female firefighters; Park et al., 2015). Ball of foot and ankle range of motion are vital during walking as these movements facilitate push-off for pre-swing, clearing the ground during mid-swing and absorption of the ground reaction force during initial contact (Whittle, 2007). Limited range of motion during these phases could lead to an abnormal walking pattern where stumbling and falling are likely to occur, particularly on uneven surfaces typically seen in occupations where high shafted work boots are mandatory (Park et al., 2015)."

upload_2019-11-30_20-38-32.png

"Evidence is available that implicates boot shaft height influences foot mobility, and consequently stability, when individuals walk. Again, differences in boot design features other than shaft height were present and only limited biomechanical variables characterising walking were collected (see Table 2). For example, when 30 young participants (15 men; 25.5 ± 5.6 years of age; 77.8 ± 13.7 kg mass; 1.78 ± 0.06 m height and 15 women; 22.5 ± 1.6 years of age; 64.4 ± 4.1 kg mass; 1.63 ± 0.08 m height) marched and ran in several different types of work and leisure boots with varying shaft heights, footwear had a significant effect on the mobility of their feet (see Figure 4; Hamill and Bensel, 1996). When the participants wore a Nike cross trainer boot or a Reebok Pump boot they displayed significantly greater movement of their centre of pressure than when they wore other boot types (combat military boot, jungle military boot and Red Wing work boot)."

"The influence of boot shaft height on ankle stability, however, appears to be context specific. For example, elevating and tilting the narrow plank, in the study by Simeonov et al. (2008) described above, increased the participants’ rearfoot angular velocities, which were unexpectedly more pronounced while participants wore boots with a higher shaft compared to boots with a lower shaft height (Simeonov et al., 2008). The authors speculated this unexpected result was caused by an interaction of the higher boot shaft with the ankle joint when the plank was tilted, resulting in additional moments and lateral forces being generated, leading to instability. It was suggested that a higher boot shaft with more flexibility might dampen the generation of additional moments and lateral forces so when a boot shaft is tilted at an angle, i.e. when walking on a sloped surface, it would not have such a direct impact on ankle joint motion (Simeonov et al., 2008). Indeed, military and work boots with a higher boot shaft, compared to footwear with a low shaft, have been shown to limit ankle dorsiflexion, restricting ankle range of motion and, in turn, leading to slower times when study participants completed an agility course (Hamill and Bensel, 1996). Restricted ankle motion was thought to influence shank movement, therefore leading to slower performance times when participants planted their foot to change direction (Hamill and Bensel, 1996)."

"Manipulation of shaft stiffness in hiking boots (Böhm and Hösl, 2010; Cikajlo and Matjacić, 2007), military boots (Hamill and Bensel, 1996) and basketball boots (Robinson et al., 1986) has been found to significantly alter ankle range of motion. A more flexible shaft increased ankle range of motion during walking and a stiffer shaft reduced it. The amount of ankle range of motion allowed by a boot shaft appears crucial to both efficient biomechanics, as well as reducing lower limb injury occurrence. Although adequate ankle range of motion is vital to efficient gait, excessive ankle motion is potentially problematic because it causes the joint to rely on secondary anatomical structures, such as the muscles and ligaments, for support (Böhm and Hösl, 2010; Hamill and Bensel, 1996), increasing the risk of lower limb sprain/strain injuries (Neely, 1998)."

"There is relatively strong evidence suggesting that restricted ankle joint motion during walking can have negative implications for the more proximal joints of the lower limb, such as the knee."

"Boot mass is the most variable element of work boot design and can typically range between 1 and 4 kg (Chiou et al., 2012; Dobson et al., 2015; Garner et al., 2013; Nunns et al., 2012). The mass of a work boot is dependent on a multitude of design features such as the boot material, presence of a steel cap, height of the shaft, type of sole and other boot design features illustrated in Figure 1. Changing just one of these design features, even slightly, can have a substantial impact on boot mass, explaining the high variability in this design parameter."

"[..]heavier footwear has been shown to alter the way individuals walk, particularly kinematic parameters characterising walking and oxygen consumption (Jones et al., 1984; Majumdar et al., 2006)." "Increases in boot mass [appear] to cause a loss of control at initial contact and mid-swing, as well as requiring more energy to move the heavier boot (Chiou et al., 2012)."

"Walking on a treadmill in a heavier combat boot (1 kg) [] led to increased vastus medialis muscle activity over a 30 min time period when compared to a rain boot (0.80 kg) and Converse sneaker (0.71 kg; see Figure 4; Kim et al., 2015)."

"Energy expenditure while walking can increase by 0.7-1% for every 100 g increase in footwear mass (Jones et al., 1984)."

"Although boot mass differences are the most likely explanation for the reduced performances in postural sway reported by Garner et al. (2013), other boot design features such as differences in boot materials cannot be discounted as potential contributing factors. As discussed in previous sections of this paper, a rubber boot has a more flexible shaft than a leather boot. This between-boot difference in shaft stiffness can influence ankle motion and/or proprioception at the ankle joint and, in turn, influence lower limb mediated responses to postural sway." "Although research related to boot mass predominantly focuses on negative implications associated with heavier work boots, no study has investigated whether a work boot could be too light."

"Sole flexibility is the ability of the sole of a shoe to flex. The amount of flexibility in a work boot sole is primarily determined by the materials used to construct the layers of the sole, which will also determine its thickness, elasticity, texture and padding (Nigg et al., 2003; Nurse et al., 2005). An abundance of literature has documented the influence of variations in shoe sole flexibility on variables characterising gait (Demura and Demura, 2012; Hardin et al., 2004; Kersting et al., 2005; Nigg et al., 2003; Nurse et al., 2005; Wakeling et al., 2002) and oxygen consumption (Roy and Stefanyshyn, 2006)."

"Despite differences in boot mass, firefighter boots with a more flexible sole have been shown to result in significant reductions in absolute and relative oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production when participants stepped over obstacles compared to when wearing a boot with a less flexible sole (Chiou et al., 2012). The authors of the study speculated that a more flexible sole enhanced ankle joint movement and, subsequently, power generation, which ultimately reduced metabolic and respiratory cost. Dobson et al. (2015) also found that participants who walked in a boot with a more flexible sole required less muscle activity to maintain the same walking pattern than when they walked wearing a boot with a stiffer sole. These boots, however, again differed in mass, with the stiffer soled boot weighing more than the flexible soled boot (Dobson et al., 2015)."

"It is speculated that forefoot stiffness in certain work boots requires increased metatarsal flexion to accomplish enough power generation at toe-off to propel the body forward during walking (Hamill and Bensel, 1996)."

"The sole flexibility of army boots has further been associated with the occurrence of other lower limb overuse injuries. Compared to two athletic shoes (a cross-trainer and a running shoes), significantly greater impact loading was generated when participants wore an army combat boot with a stiffer sole (see Figure 4; Sinclair and Taylor, 2014). This greater impact loading in the army boot was accompanied by increased ankle joint eversion and tibial internal rotation. These kinematic variables that were associated with higher impact loading, ankle joint eversion and tibial rotation, have been identified as risk factors for developing musculoskeletal injuries such as plantar fasciitis and iliotibial band syndrome when individuals perform repetitive activities like prolonged walking and marching (Neely, 1998; Sinclair and Taylor, 2014)."​

@firebreather, you can find discussions specific to your case, there should be ways to minimize issues.

- A History of Medical Scientists on High Heels (it's impressive the number of publications available on this topic)

Last edited:

Noodlz2

When shoes are even a little too tight, especially width wise, cognition decreases because there's a constant low-grade anxiety in the background.

Wide shoes are pleasant. Flip flops are pretty great. Still waiting for an innovative shoe design that offers protection without sacrificing true flexibility and breathability.

Jennifer

Not sure if this is too off topic, but the first thing that came to mind when I read your title was Chinese food binding. Those are her toes she is pointing to, completely wrapped under the ball of her foot to fit into a 3 inch shoe.

image.jpeg

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

When shoes are even a little too tight, especially width wise, cognition decreases because there's a constant low-grade anxiety in the background.

Wide shoes are pleasant. Flip flops are pretty great. Still waiting for an innovative shoe design that offers protection without sacrificing true flexibility and breathability.
For those living in harsh climates other priorities will be at play that justify seeking boots, however these are evolving with improved techmology and the appearance of discreet options that confer protection without turning the person into a Transformer are not followed by men adopting them, they seek those that look sturdy in spite of alternatives being available with the same functionalities that are less compromising on the aspects that you mentioned. This makes me think that they're after an armor.

We don't need to develop our character, we can shortcut it with the red jacket à la Tyler Durden. This and the oversized boots get us close to a clown.
Not sure if this is too off topic, but the first thing that came to mind when I read your title was Chinese food binding. Those are her toes she is pointing to, completely wrapped under the ball of her foot to fit into a 3 inch shoe.

View attachment 15784
:yipes

It's the foot conforming to the shoe rather than the opposite.

- High heels as supernormal stimuli: How wearing high heels affects judgements of female attractiveness

"Relative to the flat heels condition the females in the high heeled shoe condition walked in a fashion more characteristic of female gait; the walkers in high heels took smaller more frequent steps, had less knee bend but had greater hip rotation and tilt."

"[..]wearing high heels makes women look more attractive by making them more feminine as the effect of heels was to exaggerate some sex specific elements of female gait including: greater transverse plane hip rotation (pelvic rotation); increased vertical motion at the hip in the coronal plane (lateral pelvic tilt); shorter strides and higher cadence (Murray et al., 1970; Troje, 2002; Cho, Park, & Kwon, 2004; Pollick et al., 2005)."

"The normal stimulus of a woman walking is exaggerated by the wearing of high heels producing a supernormal stimulus."​

There is a foolish side to this as well: artificial enhancement of features raises (tut) the expectations and it's only sustainable for as long as you keep them. However these can't be maintained all the time, for intimacy, you'll has to let go of the crutches, yet if the woman builted her identity based on them, I wouldn't be surprised if she experiences extreme insecurity or feelings of being illegit. Dropping them could give her less attention (more likely to be from not displaying preparedness instead of not being pretty) but there's the advantage of working as a filter to screen for those that are interested in her authentic version. On the other hand, there's the biological drive in wanting to have the most options possible to choose the best.

Crocs allow you to watch your children grow yet you'll always wonder how things would've been different if you had more options to choose from. High heels will make you doubt yourself but not the fetuses that you've produced, unfortunately you won't be there while they grow up; you've sacrificed thyself for them.

Postscript: the casual boot is the image on the right.

Last edited:

Occidencel

For those looking for a sturdy, safe, steel-toed athleisure option, I just purchased a pair of kevlar soled sneakers that don’t look far removed from standard modern Nikes. They are called the invincible shoe and go for $60 online. I’m happy with them.

I ALWAYS wore the most minimal Nike free option until switching to a nike roadracing flyknit shoe a few years ago. Throughout my life I refused to wear boots unless in harsh cold because of the limited range of motion- hiking in hiking boots is ridiculous since the boot will twist your entire leg when you step on a rock instead of letting your foot conform. I’ve always trained my agility and connection with the ground this way. I NEVER fall, even in slippery, muddy, rocky conditions, while my teammates would.

All that said, I now have a pretty hardcore pair of genuine military boots for poser fashion purposes. They're totally sick and girls love them.

For people who want to transition away from supportive footwear, which has no effect on your foot other than atrophy and reducing range of motion, I suggest very slowly jogging on hard ground- concrete, gym floor, wood, etc, to force yourself to remain fluid and bouncy. Your feet will be sore the first few times but that means its working. When I was growing up doctors told me “there are no muscles in the foot so we need to wear arch support.” Bogus. Theres just no money in people with strong healthy feet, so they lie to people to trick them into buying orthotics and expensive shoes. What a joke!

akgrrrl

Great topic to examine reasons why humans are willing to look ridiculous while sacrificing health. I spent 35 years dressing men and women in couture environments. I remain astounded how little ppl know about the textiles they choose and no idea how to care for them for wearing more than once. How wrong I am to think that learning the uses of different skins for shoes as well as newer synthetics would be semi important considering the financial investiture...at any rate, it appears I will be long gone before the oversize unlaced sport shoe, workboot, drone color clothing and baseball hat fade as manly apparel.

Jennifer

It's the foot conforming to the shoe rather than the opposite.
Yep! I was going to post a pic of pointe shoe feet too, but thought one frightening image was enough.
Amazoniac said:
Crocs allow you to watch your children grow yet you'll always wonder how things would've been different if you had more options to choose from. High heels will make you doubt yourself but not the fetuses that you've produced, unfortunately you won't be there while they grow up; you've sacrificed thyself for them.
LOL Umm...that's one possibility. There's also the possibility that the croc loving woman attracts her perfect mate despite her choice in footwear because heels aren't the only way, or even the most effective way, to attract men.

Wolf

Merrill trail running shoes are the only thing I wear. Winter or not.
If it's a heavy snow I'll wear waterproof boots, but that's like a few times a year to stop my feet from becoming soaked.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

LOL Umm...that's one possibility. There's also the possibility that the croc loving woman attracts her perfect mate despite her choice in footwear because heels aren't the only way, or even the most effective way, to attract men.
Successful men demand Prada, playing with her hair doesn't work if she's not wearing them, she's not worthy of consideration, not even when she's clever enough to adjust it during the conversation by making all hair strands mysteriously converge on her breasts (and reinforcing with hand movements), similar to what painters does.
Yep! I was going to post a pic of pointe shoe feet too, but thought one frightening image was enough.
Do you still dance ballet?
- Second-toe length and forefoot disorders in ballet and folk dancers
All that said, I now have a pretty hardcore pair of genuine military boots for poser fashion purposes. They're totally sick and girls love them.
:lol:

It's rôle playing, not much different than the person who dresses like an anime character.
But these have to be effective for people to use them.
Great topic to examine reasons why humans are willing to look ridiculous while sacrificing health. I spent 35 years dressing men and women in couture environments. I remain astounded how little ppl know about the textiles they choose and no idea how to care for them for wearing more than once. How wrong I am to think that learning the uses of different skins for shoes as well as newer synthetics would be semi important considering the financial investiture...at any rate, it appears I will be long gone before the oversize unlaced sport shoe, workboot, drone color clothing and baseball hat fade as manly apparel.
I didn't know it was possible to work from the womb.

Why are shoes with laces still being sold instead of donated to museums? People use whatever they want, but the standard has to be as simple as possible for them to ornament according to how much the person is willing to look like the chrismas tree preference.

This is what I usually wear:

upload_2019-12-3_8-32-28.png

Source: the internet.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Successful men demand Prada, playing with her hair doesn't work if she's not wearing them, she's not worthy of consideration, not even when she's clever enough to adjust it during the conversation by making all hair strands mysteriously converge on her breasts (and reinforcing with hand movements), similar to what painters does.
LOL I've used that technique (with my artwork, not flirting lol). Anyway, that's one kind of successful man, but not all. If it's midnight and the plumbing's leaking, your kind of successful calls for help and plans a remodel, while the other kind quickly fixes it himself and goes to bed where his very appreciative partner is waiting for him in her knockoff Pradas. :lol:
Interesting. I just checked and my second toes are the same length as my big toes. I still practice barre work periodically, but I don't train classical like I used to. I thought about taking classes again, but mainly lyrical, hip-hop and ballroom — ballroom might be slightly tough on the feet though because of the heels.
That's horrific
It really is. They're known as lotus feet. I learned about the foot binding practice while taking care of two girls who were adopted from China — their parents made it a point to teach them all about their Chinese heritage.

gaze

you may enjoy the "boulder boot" made by lems

wide, flat, sturdy, breathable, flexible, light weight.

boris

Love these Clarks desert trek. They have the best toe freedom I experienced so far :D. Not really suitable for snowy winters though.

513b5a5b40a5e32e02125305f52a2982--shoes-style-leather-shoes.jpg

Jennifer

This is what I usually wear:

Hehe! Those make me think of my tent booties — they're filled with down (were a gift) so it's like wearing clouds on my feet:
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Anyway, I meant to ask you, have you come across any similar research on flip flops? Is it mainly restrictive footwear that's an issue? I live in Reefs during the summer so...

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Hehe! Those make me think of my tent booties — they're filled with down (were a gift) so it's like wearing clouds on my feet:
View attachment 16116 View attachment 16115
Anyway, I meant to ask you, have you come across any similar research on flip flops? Is it mainly restrictive footwear that's an issue? I live in Reefs during the summer so...
Those look adorable.
Clouds remind me of Bee, that could've been confused with one.

Never came across, but you should be able to find minor changes in gait pattern. Some flip-flops have a wider strip and a tighter fit that minimize the compensation to prevent it from escaping.

There are enough sponsored posts in this thread to leave us confused on which ones to choose. For example, Kammas' product is so flexible that can be used as puppet to annoy people:

Lems-Shoes-Boulder-Boot-Aspen-Trail-Finder-Blog.jpg

Last edited:

Jennifer

Those look adorable.
Clouds remind me of Bee, that could've been confused with one.

Never came across, but you should be able to find minor changes in gait pattern. Some flip-flops have a wider strip and a tighter fit that minimize the compensation to prevent it from escaping.

There are enough sponsored posts in this thread to leave us confused on which ones to choose. For example, Kammas' product is so flexible that can be used as puppet to annoy people:

Lems-Shoes-Boulder-Boot-Aspen-Trail-Finder-Blog.jpg
Thanks! :) Yours look pretty adorable, too.

Oh yeah! Bee was definitely like a cloud, especially when he wasn't trimmed. Maltese are soft dogs to begin with, but he was extra soft because he never really grew out of his puppy fur — it was incredibly fine.

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you!

Oh wow! It is flexible. It's a nice looking shoe. Not as nice as yours, but I'd wear them if I were a guy.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Thanks! :) Yours look pretty adorable, too.

Oh yeah! Bee was definitely like a cloud, especially when he wasn't trimmed. Maltese are soft dogs to begin with, but he was extra soft because he never really grew out of his puppy fur — it was incredibly fine.

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you!

Oh wow! It is flexible. It's a nice looking shoe. Not as nice as yours, but I'd wear them if I were a guy.
I get strange effects from a pair of Adidas sandals, it has to be something being absorbed (but were washed in advance). I decided to try them again after our exchange ('nocantbe effect') and every time it's possible to reproduce: at first there's leg tingling, then there's a headache that subsides in place of confusion that intensifies with use. They're not extreme and stop if I put on socks. Wearing shoes is dangerous, should be regulated as drugs.

Last edited:

rei

barefoot shoes are a godsend i discovered quite recently. First 2 days felt weird and especially the first morning after using them the feet were sore. But it was just pain of reawakening muscles and movement that had calcified shut decades earlier from wearing boxy shoes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals