An Extension Of The 'Dressed To Kill… Yourself' Series: Footwear

boris

I get strange effects from a pair of Adidas sandals, it has to be something being absorbed (but were washed in advance). I decided to try them again after our exchange ('nocantbe effect') and every time it's possible to reproduce: at first there's leg tingling, then there's a headache that subsides in place of confusion that intensifies with use. They're not extreme and stop if I put on socks. Wearing shoes is dangerous, should be regulated as drugs.

Plasticizers/softeners? I remember seeing a TV program years ago where they said that using a certain cheap tool with a soft rubberized grip for some minutes was as cancerous as smoking a couple thousand commercial cigarettes. Don't know how they came up with these numbers, but ever since then I try to avoid wearing or using soft rubber materials directly on my skin.

I also noticed my turtle would aggressively bite and throw around a plastic sandal from my mom, when he usually shows complete disinterest for inanimate objects. Must be a high amount of some substance like BPA that is similar to animal hormones in them.

Jennifer

I get strange effects from a pair of Adidas sandals, it has to be something being absorbed (but were washed in advance). I decided to try them again after our exchange ('nocantbe effect') and every time it's possible to reproduce: at first there's leg tingling, then there's a headache that subsides in place of confusion that intensifies with use. They're not extreme and stop if I put on socks. Wearing shoes is dangerous, should be regulated as drugs.
Plasticizers/softeners? I remember seeing a TV program years ago where they said that using a certain cheap tool with a soft rubberized grip for some minutes was as cancerous as smoking a couple thousand commercial cigarettes. Don't know how they came up with these numbers, but ever since then I try to avoid wearing or using soft rubber materials directly on my skin.

I also noticed my turtle would aggressively bite and throw around a plastic sandal from my mom, when he usually shows complete disinterest for inanimate objects. Must be a high amount of some substance like BPA that is similar to animal hormones in them.
That's a bit alarming (though, I can't help but giggle at the thought of a turtle throwing around a sandal). I'll have to pay attention for any negative symptoms the next time I wear my flippers, however, I'm constantly coming into contact with chemicals like carpet, vinyl and poly finished hardwood flooring, a mattress with flame retardant and many other off-gassing things so I might not notice. I'm almost certain my Reefs are made from PVC-free rubber, but I'm not sure what other chemicals may be added. I'm curious now if a chemical-free flip flop exists. Maybe cork?

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

That's a bit alarming (though, I can't help but giggle at the thought of a turtle throwing around a sandal). I'll have to pay attention for any negative symptoms the next time I wear my flippers, however, I'm constantly coming into contact with chemicals like carpet, vinyl and poly finished hardwood flooring, a mattress with flame retardant and many other off-gassing things so I might not notice. I'm almost certain my Reefs are made from PVC-free rubber, but I'm not sure what other chemicals may be added. I'm curious now if a chemical-free flip flop exists. Maybe cork?
- Synthetic Rubber | Industrial Rubber Goods
- An unknow object: the tire - Materials | Michelin

boris

Apparently mine isn't the only one. You can see similar behaviour at 0:53 1:46 . My turtle additionally bit it and threw it from side to side, but never went as far as those in the video...*cough* :lol:

Jennifer

Found some!

Natural rubber flip flops made in not Uganda:

Planet Flops - eco-friendly, natural rubber flip flops

And cork flip flops:

https://www.originalcork.com

Apparently mine isn't the only one. You can see similar behaviour at 0:53 1:46 . My turtle additionally bit it and threw it from side to side, but never went as far as those in the video...*cough* :lol:

See, Gustavo? The Croc can attract a mate. :rolling

Thanks for the laugh, boris! That was hilarious! I relate to the turtle butting his head against the clog. I feel like that most days. Haha!

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Found some!

Natural rubber flip flops made in not Uganda:

Planet Flops - eco-friendly, natural rubber flip flops

And cork flip flops:

https://www.originalcork.com

See, Gustavo? The Croc can attract a mate. :rolling

Thanks for the laugh, boris! That was hilarious! I relate to the turtle butting his head against the clog. I feel like that most days. Haha!
Jennifer, I think that it's a matter of deciding how to die. Fake rubber, it will be plasticized; natural rubber, latex is a defensive plant response (you know the severe reactions to gloves reported); and cork seems alright, but it will house germs that eventually infiltrate through the skin leading to low-grade inflammation and finally death.
- Laticifers, Latex, and Their Role in Plant Defense

Buying a few slaves to carry you barefoot could work, but it would be annoying to convince that you're not disrespecting human rights.

This leaves us with wearing grass-fed socks to isolate ourselves from this toxic world, levitate or living in a sterile bubble (provided that it's made of glass).

upload_2020-2-7_8-10-31.png

Source: the internet.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Jennifer, I think that it's a matter of deciding how to die. Fake rubber, it will be plasticized; natural rubber, latex is a defensive plant response (you know the severe reactions to gloves reported); and cork seems alright, but it will house germs that eventually infiltrate through the skin leading to low-grade inflammation and finally death.
- Laticifers, Latex, and Their Role in Plant Defense

Buying a few slaves to carry you barefoot could work, but it would be annoying to convince that you're not disrespecting human rights.

This leaves us with wearing grass-fed socks to isolate ourselves from this toxic world, levitate or living in a sterile bubble (provided that it's made of glass).

View attachment 16593
Source: the internet.
Hehe! I'm imagining the turtles going "Whee!"

I could probably convince my next partner to give me piggyback rides everywhere but it would only be fair to return the favor since a solid relationship is built on equal give and take, and with enough helium, levitation may be possible but it would require constant replenishing, and there's far too many stones being cast to live in a glass bubble so that option is out too, however, cork may still be a possibility...

Cork contains the antimicrobial substance suberin but even if it didn't, we could spray our flippers down periodically with a homemade mist containing an antimicrobial essential oil such as rose, vanilla, orange oil etc. in witch hazel. I did this with my hiking gear—it's really wet here so I spent a lot of time hiking in the rain and the mist kept it from smelling musty. An added bonus is how good our feet will smell. :)

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Hehe! I'm imagining the turtles going "Whee!"

I could probably convince my next partner to give me piggyback rides everywhere but it would only be fair to return the favor since a solid relationship is built on equal give and take, and with enough helium, levitation may be possible but it would require constant replenishing, and there's far too many stones being cast to live in a glass bubble so that option is out too, however, cork may still be a possibility...

Cork contains the antimicrobial substance suberin but even if it didn't, we could spray our flippers down periodically with a homemade mist containing an antimicrobial essential oil such as rose, vanilla, orange oil etc. in witch hazel. I did this with my hiking gear—it's really wet here so I spent a lot of time hiking in the rain and the mist kept it from smelling musty. An added bonus is how good our feet will smell. :)
You can domesticate the guy by treating with kisses for every ride.

What I had in mind is the material being porous (especially if it's an agglomerate rather than a solid block).

upload_2020-2-7_19-35-12.png

But I agree, it's the least deadly option so far.

Below they compared cork with a lady named Eva, whose immune system isn't compromised. Less cork plates were necessary to apsorp a fixed volume of bacterial culture, is it due to the porosity?

- Evaluation of antimicrobial properties of cork

upload_2020-2-7_19-35-5.png

Jennifer

You can domesticate the guy by treating with kisses for every ride.

What I had in mind is the material being porous (especially if it's an agglomerate rather than a solid block).

But I agree, it's the least deadly option so far.

Below they compared cork with a lady named Eva, whose immune system isn't compromised. Less cork plates were necessary to apsorp a fixed volume of bacterial culture, is it due to the porosity?

- Evaluation of antimicrobial properties of cork

LOL I better make them good kisses then so the appeal doesn't wear off. I suppose if it does, I could always dangle a carrot in front of him. It would probably have more of an effect on a Peaty man, though.

Yep, that's what I thought you meant—its porosity. I'm thinking if moist conditions breed microbes, a person whose feet don't sweat much would accumulate less and a person whose feet do sweat a lot (and possibly diabetics) would benefit from open shoes, assuming it's warm enough outside to do so? Socks would retain sweat and microbes, especially if worn for an extended period of time, so we either die from chemicals coming into contact with our skin or being consumed by our own filth. Is there a chance we're overreacting? :doctor: Nah!

Very interesting. I hate to say I walk all over Eva and keep her in my closet.

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac

when are you releasing your book, extinguishing the fires of heels?
Poisoning from Outfits, with a chapter revealing William Gates' next evil mission.

Your children buying a 'World's Greatest Dad' shirt and asking you to try it before washing may be an attempt to trick you into death, perhaps under the influence of your ex-wife that once worked with William. What should be done in these cases is to take it and throw it on the ground, tell the kid to find a naive entertainer instead. We ain't gonna be part of this system, maan.

- Concentrations of bisphenol A and parabens in socks for infants and young children in Spain and their hormone-like activities

"A large number of chemicals (~1900) are used in industrial textile production, and many of these (~165) are classified as potentially toxic to humans and/or the environment, including antioxidants, plasticizers, dyes, flame retardants, surfactants, and pesticides (Lacasse and Baumann, 2004; Swedish Chemicals Agency, 2013). These chemicals are used in several processes (e.g., fiber and tissue preparation, washing, dyeing, and finishing) to achieve a variety of effects, including softening, stiffening, wrinkling, shrinking, UV resistance, antifading, repellence (against water, oil, stains, etc.), non-slip finishing, anti-microbiotic finishing, and antistatic protection (Baker, 1975; Papaspyrides et al., 2009; Swedish Chemicals Agency, 2013). Some of these chemicals may remain within the final textile product, either intentionally or unintentionally, and wearers of the product, including children, can be directly or indirectly exposed to them. In fact, several recent studies have demonstrated the presence of BPA and other bisphenols, parabens, benzophenones, benzothiazoles, benzotriazoles, antimicrobial compounds (triclocarban), phthalates, and flame retardants in textiles and clothing from various countries (Avagyan et al., 2013, 2015; Li and Kannan, 2018; Liu et al., 2017; Negev et al., 2018; Xue et al., 2017). Among these, Xue et al. (2017) detected the presence of BPA in 82% of infant sock samples at a mean concentration of 366 ng/g, finding the highest BPA concentrations (up to 13,300 ng/g) in socks made of polyester and spandex ["or elastane"]. Likewise, Liu et al. (2017) studied different items of infant clothing and found that socks were responsible for the highest proportion of dermal exposure to benzotriazoles and benzothiazoles. In another study, BPA and the parabens MPB and PPB were detected in pantyhose samples at concentrations of 100–600 ng/g, finding the greatest concentrations of bisphenols and EPB in the samples with highest spandex content (Li and Kannan, 2018)."

"The present study evidenced for first time in Europe the wide presence of BPA in textile samples from socks marketed for infants and young children in Spain. It is noteworthy that 15 out of 96 samples (16%) had BPA concentrations above 1000 ng/g (or 1 μg/g) and more than one-third had a concentration above 0.1 μg/g."

"This is also the first study to determine the combined hormonal activity of extracts from consumer textile products. Interestingly, estrogenic and anti-androgenic activities were found in the sock samples with highest concentrations of BPA."

"The source of BPA in the present textile samples cannot be readily identified, given that the highest concentrations of BPA were observed in socks with no or scant polyester content and high % cotton. It is possible that BPA was introduced to improve the performance and durability of the socks."

"Moreover, BPA derivatives are employed as an intermediate chemical in the manufacture of antioxidants and dyes (Xue et al., 2017) that are added to fibers to prevent photo-degradation and to color the original raw material, respectively. In this context, Česen et al. (2018) reported higher concentrations of BPA and other bisphenol residues in wastewater samples from two textile cleaning companies than in those from other industrial activities. They suggested that BPA may originate from textile packaging and that bisphenols are washed during textile cleaning into the sewerage system. Furthermore, recycled plastic bottles made of polyethylene and polycarbonate are increasingly used by the textile industry to produce polyester fibers (Al-Salem et al., 2009; Rochman et al., 2013). Hence, the source of BPA in socks containing polyester may be recycled plastic bottles used as raw materials in its production."

"BPA and bisphenol B are known to be employed as “proton donors” in color developers. However, there was no clear association of BPA concentrations with the color of the socks, suggesting that the presence of BPA in these items was not related to fiber dyeing. Regarding the country of origin, it is very likely that the fiber in the socks from store 1 derived from an Asian country (e.g., China), which may have contributed to the high BPA concentrations observed. In this regard, Li and Kannan (2018) reported that the highest concentrations of all studied EDCs were in pantyhose samples from Asian countries. In addition, our findings indicate that BPA is not yet being replaced by BPA analogues (e.g., bisphenol S) in socks made in Spain, Italy, or Turkey. In Japan, where the use of BPA has been restricted in many consumer products since 2001, elevated concentrations of BPS and other BPA analogues have been found in pantyhose (Li and Kannan, 2018), as well as in thermal paper receipts (Liao and Kannan, 2011)."

"The mean dermal exposure dose to BPA from the socks in our study was 19.6 pg/kg/day and was higher in those marketed for older children. The mean dose estimated by Xue et al. (2017) from textile products and clothing for infants was several-fold higher (222 pg/kg/day), being highest in products for newborns aged<1 month (248 pg/kg/ day). The dermal exposure dose from socks was several-fold lower for parabens than for BPA. Although the estimated dermal exposure doses were relatively low in our study, various factors should be taken into account. For instance, socks produce direct dermal exposure because they are worn in contact with the skin, and absorption may be increased by high temperatures and body moisture from the feet. In addition, infants and small children may be directly exposed to the chemicals in socks by putting them (or their feet) in their mouth. In addition, toxic chemicals can transfer from contaminated to uncontaminated clothes during washing and can disperse from textile fibers into indoor air, where they can bind to dust particles and cause indirect exposure though the inhalation and ingestion of dust. In this respect, indoor dust is believed to be the main route for the exposure of young children to brominated flame retardants and perfluorinated compounds (Björklund, 2011), EDCs commonly present in household textiles."​

Perry Staltic

I worked with a guy who wore cowboy boots. CAD operator. I asked him if his toes were pointed. He said yeah.

Perry Staltic

Those types of clogs made from EVA are the sshitt. Most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

Luann

All the ladiez of my family love our barefoot shoes)

Ed. I hope you talk about pants next Amazoniac :) Low / tight pants are so bad for the walking motion in general! Scrubs are forever.

PhoenixGaia

Not sure if this is too off topic, but the first thing that came to mind when I read your title was Chinese food binding. Those are her toes she is pointing to, completely wrapped under the ball of her foot to fit into a 3 inch shoe.

View attachment 15784
I find this is disgusting... sometimes I wonder where civilization leads (both western and eastern)

Luann

I wish there was an official category for this stuff! Biomechanics / kinesiology / postural research is so relevant to this forum, and to anyone looking to improve their health or recover from trauma. Would be great to have a designated spot for our discoveries. Or, someone could create a mega-thread sort of thing?

pro marker

i read once that the reason the whole world ended up going from logical roomy shoes too narrow toes, was that the french made it trendy. no idea how true that is.
why the hell do the dutch wear those ridiculous shoes though?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals