Taurine deficiency as a driver of aging

Mauritio

David PS

Jam

:eek:

Prematurely born infants are believed to lack the enzymes needed to convert cystathionine to cysteine, and may, therefore, become deficient in taurine. Taurine is present in breast milk, and has been added to many infant formulas, as a measure of prudence, since the early 1980s. However, this practice has never been rigorously studied, and as such it has yet to be proven to be necessary, or even beneficial.[23]

I was born 2 months premature...

Mauritio

Taurine might also be important for Vitamin A transport, espceially as a newborn. So low taurine migth cause a functional vitamin A deficiency:

"In the first days after lactation, taurine levels are particularly high (see Meister, 1965; Sturman and Hayes, 1980). In particular, taurine exceeds other amino acids in human milk by 4–200 times (Takanami and Miura, 1963; Sturman and Hayes, 1980). The need for high taurine levels in these cases may be due to the ability of taurine to facilitate vitamin A transport by forming a sulfoether of taurine with vitamin A, which may provide the infant with the necessary amount of available vitamin A during this intense phase of growth."
- Taurine as a universal carrier of lipid soluble vitamins: a hypothesis - Amino Acids

Jam

Just bought close to a kg of TauPowder for €50, not too shabby.

Mossy

Interesting. I was a premie as well. Without comparison, taurine was the first supplement that made me feel normal when I first fell chronically ill. Granted, I get side effects from it, or I'd have been taking it on a regular basis. Taurine from food makes me feel good as well, but it's much more expensive.

Mossy

Jam

What do you notice exactly?
I'm assuming he means the crazy libido I'm getting after my first 1500mg yesterday, and I already have a high baseline. I can understand how it could be distracting... :hairpull

TAG145

Forum Supporter
Taurine resolved our dogs Dilated Cardiomyopathy. We were feeding grain free dog food and our normally very active dog started to stop and lay down on walks. This was at the same time FDA put out a warning about "boutique" type dog foods causing DCM. Half her meal was this grain-free kibble brand they warned about, other half was raw. At the advice of her cardiologist we started her on 1000mg taurine plus standard kibble with whole grains. A year later her heart was back to normal. Also giving taurine to the other dogs, one that is older than her seems to be doing very well for his age and his breed. It just seems supplementing taurine is keeping them young, but there is no true evidence other than her echocardiograms showed improvement after taurine & diet change. I don't think the science is settled on why there was a spike in dogs with DCM and grain-free diets.

Regina

Taurine resolved our dogs Dilated Cardiomyopathy. We were feeding grain free dog food and our normally very active dog started to stop and lay down on walks. This was at the same time FDA put out a warning about "boutique" type dog foods causing DCM. Half her meal was this grain-free kibble brand they warned about, other half was raw. At the advice of her cardiologist we started her on 1000mg taurine plus standard kibble with whole grains. A year later her heart was back to normal. Also giving taurine to the other dogs, one that is older than her seems to be doing very well for his age and his breed. It just seems supplementing taurine is keeping them young, but there is no true evidence other than her echocardiograms showed improvement after taurine & diet change. I don't think the science is settled on why there was a spike in dogs with DCM and grain-free diets.
Thx for the tip. I'll add taurine today.

Ben.

I'm assuming he means the crazy libido I'm getting after my first 1500mg yesterday, and I already have a high baseline. I can understand how it could be distracting... :hairpull

wow... i took up to 15grams a day for a while ... cant say it did something like that for me but my baseline was ***t ... boron / lugols however seem to increase libido/male performance for me.

Comstock

Does anyone have a go to food source for Taurine? Seems like it's mostly in seafood, which I'm trying to avoid because of heavy metals. Maybe Turkey thighs based on this article? Not sure about the pufas though

Jam

wow... i took up to 15grams a day for a while ... cant say it did something like that for me but my baseline was ***t ... boron / lugols however seem to increase libido/male performance for me.
Yeah, I think it's the boron in your case. I have been taking 150mg of iodide daily for years but when I take a knife-tip of borax (few times per week) my libido noticeably increases. And now I am taking the taurine on top of boron, that may not be a good idea (or maybe it is, depending :P) as the boost in libido is extreme.

Last edited:

Hermes

@Jam 150mg iodide? Didn't you mean 150mcg? Just to make sure I understand your dosage.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals