Taurine deficiency as a driver of aging

Nokoni

Studying various animals, Singh et al. found that the amount of the semi-essential amino acid taurine in circulation decreased with age (see the Perspective by McGaunn and Baur). Supplementation with taurine slowed key markers of aging such as increased DNA damage, telomerase deficiency, impaired mitochondrial function, and cellular senescence. Loss of taurine in humans was associated with aging-related diseases, and concentrations of taurine and its metabolites increased in response to exercise. Taurine supplementation improved life span in mice and health span in monkeys.

Nfinkelstein

I've been benefiting from taurine supplementation myself, it seems to improve sleep for me.

OP
Nokoni

Nokoni

I've been benefiting from taurine supplementation myself, it seems to improve sleep for me.
Likewise, but only because it seemed to be a GABA agonist without addiction issues, and I had a vague idea that that was a good thing. This study gives me more concrete reasons. I've been taking 2 quarter-teaspoons daily (I forget how many mgs that is) for quite a while, but now I'll probably increase that.

TheSir

Even 200mg throws me into depression and despair for a few hours. Wonder what's up with that

EustaceBagge

Even 200mg throws me into depression and despair for a few hours. Wonder what's up with that
It probably gets you out a stress state exposing your vulnerabilities. If you boost metabolism and consume a meal/carbs with the taurine, over time the sedating effect will dampen.

miquelangeles

I never liked taurine either. It's synthetic and full of impurities. Clams and octopus contain 500mg of taurine per 100g. It is water soluble and most of it leaches into the cooking water so it's best to avoid buying precooked which is often what most restaurants serve because it comes in frozen packs. There are also studies with hot water extract of octopus showing benefits.

OP
Nokoni

Nokoni

I never liked taurine either. It's synthetic and full of impurities. Clams and octopus contain 500mg of taurine per 100g. It is water soluble and most of it leaches into the cooking water so it's best to avoid buying precooked which is often what most restaurants serve because it comes in frozen packs. There are also studies with hot water extract of octopus showing benefits.

Whoa. I live with two Asian women who would look at that image and go yum-yum. But they are relegated to the back yard with a hot plate in the dead of winter when they want to cook something that looks like that. My standard for palatability is a hamburger, and it falls off rapidly from there. You couldn't get a gram of that past my palate with a tube while in a coma. But I do look forward to being reincarnated as someone who looks at that and thinks “food”. Until then, however, it's all yours. And my wonderful housemates' :)

TheSir

It probably gets you out a stress state exposing your vulnerabilities. If you boost metabolism and consume a meal/carbs with the taurine, over time the sedating effect will dampen.
Back when I was majorly stressed it indeed evened the edge out well. Now that I'm exhausted and leaning towards depression to begin with, it seems to slow me down further and excessively.

miquelangeles

Whoa. I live with two Asian women who would look at that image and go yum-yum. But they are relegated to the back yard with a hot plate in the dead of winter when they want to cook something that looks like that. My standard for palatability is a hamburger, and it falls off rapidly from there. You couldn't get a gram of that past my palate with a tube while in a coma. But I do look forward to being reincarnated as someone who looks at that and thinks “food”. Until then, however, it's all yours. And my wonderful housemates' :)
Lol. If I were you, I would take advantage of the opportunity and have them cook it twice a week. Give it another chance and see how it makes you feel? Maybe you'll acquire a taste for it. Taurine is considered a longevity vitamin.

OP
Nokoni

Nokoni

Lol. If I were you, I would take advantage of the opportunity and have them cook it twice a week. Give it another chance and see how it makes you feel? Maybe you'll acquire a taste for it. Taurine is considered a longevity vitamin.
You're probably right. It would definitely make them happy, and probably make me healthy. Buuut. The reincarnation approach seems more likely.

John mcclain

Do what carnivore folk do...eat lots of meat taurine is always topped up...stop taking synthetic crap

ddjd

Taurine 100% slows down or can completely stop male pattern baldness.

Imagine if all those people on rogaine, minoxidil or propecia just took taurine

ddjd

fascinating. link?
look no further than our very own haidut

Nfinkelstein

look no further than our very own haidut

wow thanks, that thread was from before my time here. reading it now --- Haidut said, re dosage for hair, "5g oral taurine daily".

ThinPicking

Back when I was majorly stressed it indeed evened the edge out well. Now that I'm exhausted and leaning towards depression to begin with, it seems to slow me down further and excessively.
Do you normally drink any water on the average day and how much?

Taurine is awesome.

David PS

per
wow thanks, that thread was from before my time here. reading it now --- Haidut said, re dosage for hair, "5g oral taurine daily".
The 5 grams was memorable. However, still within a range used by others.
Oral taurine at doses of 375 to 8,000mg/day (16 to 150 mg/kg/day) was administered to six patients with mixed seizure disorders refractory to standard anticonvulsant treatment.

Milk has a great deal of taurine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals