Taurine deficiency as a driver of aging

Mabeco

Whoa. I live with two Asian women who would look at that image and go yum-yum. But they are relegated to the back yard with a hot plate in the dead of winter when they want to cook something that looks like that. My standard for palatability is a hamburger, and it falls off rapidly from there. You couldn't get a gram of that past my palate with a tube while in a coma. But I do look forward to being reincarnated as someone who looks at that and thinks “food”. Until then, however, it's all yours. And my wonderful housemates' :)

for a Portuguese man, that is a treat… I definitely recommend trying it!

Mauritio

That hair loss study was in C. elegans . Just saying.

For me taurine does not seem to benefit my hair sadly. But I feel more androgenic and very chill, to the point where I feel a little stoned and get nothing done. GABA agonism.
Therefore it combiens well with caffeine or nicotine and I seem to be able to tolerate more of those (red bull anyone?). It also seems to make me gain weight because it lowers blood sugar so much and increases apetite.

I havent tried a topical solution for hair loss yet, but that migth work.

Ismail

That hair loss study was in C. elegans . Just saying.

For me taurine does not seem to benefit my hair sadly. But I feel more androgenic and very chill, to the point where I feel a little stoned and get nothing done. GABA agonism.
Therefore it combiens well with caffeine or nicotine and I seem to be able to tolerate more of those (red bull anyone?). It also seems to make me gain weight because it lowers blood sugar so much and increases apetite.

I havent tried a topical solution for hair loss yet, but that migth work.
How much were you taking?

I get the same feeling, ie feeling like I’m a little stoned etc

Regina

I never liked taurine either. It's synthetic and full of impurities. Clams and octopus contain 500mg of taurine per 100g. It is water soluble and most of it leaches into the cooking water so it's best to avoid buying precooked which is often what most restaurants serve because it comes in frozen packs. There are also studies with hot water extract of octopus showing benefits.

Dayam. I want to be invited to that party!

Mauritio

Mauritio

Oh wow; that’s a relatively small amount compared to some of the recommendations I’ve seen.

I took 2g 🙄😬🙊
Yeah and just an hour ago I felt really agitated and looked kind of puffy and bloated, took just 70 mg of taurine and shortly after lots of rumbling in my gut i passed some bile containing stools and felt calm and less water retention. I also noticed an improvement in my hair quality wich I hadnt seen before.
Seems like Taurine is one of those substances that offer benefits at wide variety of dosages, similarly to pregnenolone.

Mauritio

I personally get insomnia from taurine. Definitely makes me calmer, but ruins sleep.
Interesting, I got the best nights sleep in a while from taurine. Restful and many dreams.

I think people should experiment with the dosage quite a bit.
Those GABA receptors function in a U-shaped curve (and you might have to take a possible rebound into account), so you get a different effect from it depending on where on the curve you are at any given moment in time.

David PS

Here is the full text document (13 page pdf).

I was surprised to learn that Taurine increased bone mass in female mice. The higher level of taurine resulted in a greater in increase in the femur and spine.

1689242570463.png

Last edited:

Mauritio

Here is the full text document (13 page pdf).

I was surprised to learn that Taurine increased bone mass in female mice. The higher level of taurine resulted in a greater in increase in the femur and spine.

View attachment 52832
Thanks for sharing.
That is an increase of about 60-70% in bone density(or thickness?) ! The HED is about 6g/day.
"Taurine also cured osteoporosis and suppressed ovariectomy￾induced body-weight gain in a rodent model of menopause (fig. S2, E to G)."

Taurine also increased grip strength ,wich correlates with Testosterone levels and increased energy expenditure:
"Taurine-treatedmice consumed more oxygen, generated more carbon dioxide, and had higher respiratory exchange ratios and energy expenditures even
though their total activity was decreased compared with that of controls..."

Last edited:

David PS

Thanks for sharing.
That is an increase of about 60-70% in bone density(or thickness?) ! The HED is about 6g/day.
"Taurine also cured osteoporosis and suppressed ovariectomy￾induced body-weight gain in a rodent model of menopause (fig. S2, E to G)."

Taurine also increased grip strength ,wich correlates with Testosterone levels and increased energy expenditure:
"Taurine-treatedmice consumed more oxygen, generated more carbon dioxide, and had higher respiratory exchange ratios and energy expenditures even
though their total activity was decreased compared with that of controls..."

Your welcome. I am not certain why there is extra text in your quote that did not appear in your response. I am at 8g/day with no ill effects.

The human equivalent dose (HED) may be less than that depending on age. My age is off the chart below.
1689257957778.png

Haidut states that saturated fat, Phosphatidylcholine (PC) and taurine are needed for cardiolipin, which is a fundamental lipid in the inner mitochondrial membrane. Defects in that membrane can lead to lack of ATP building capacity and in the end, to the mitochondria destruction.

39:31 - The composition of cardiolipin and Alzheimer’s

Edit:MitoLipin - Liquid Saturated Phosphatidylcholine (PC) Mix

Last edited:

David PS

Mauritio

Your welcome. I am not certain why there is extra text in your quote that did not appear in your response. I am at 8g/day with no ill effects.

The human equivalent dose (HED) may be less than that depending on age. My age is off the chart below.
View attachment 52833

Haidut states that saturated fat, Phosphatidylcholine (PC) and taurine are needed for cardiolipin, which is a fundamental lipid in the inner mitochondrial membrane. Defects in that membrane can lead to lack of ATP building capacity and in the end, to the mitochondria destruction.

39:31 - The composition of cardiolipin and Alzheimer’s

Edit:MitoLipin - Liquid Saturated Phosphatidylcholine (PC) Mix
I was editing the last part in, so maybe thats why.

Interesting defects in the membrane or too high of a peroxidation index can also cause oxidative stress. And the unsaturation of the membranes correlates with the life expectancy of the animal. So lower unsaturation--> lower peroxidation--> less oxidative stres. (Valentine and Valentine have some great chapters on that in their book "human longevity")

Taurine seems to intervene in the self reinforcing oxidative stress cascade in at least two points: firstly by rebuilding cardiolipin and secondly by lowering oxidative stress via anti-oxidant enzymes.

Ismail

Mauritio

Mauritio

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals