Taurine deficiency as a driver of aging

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@TAG145 and @Regina, I’m hoping y’all will share how you dose your dogs? I have 1000 mg capsules that are pretty big and both my dogs weigh 13-14 pounds. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Regina

@TAG145 and @Regina, I’m hoping y’all will share how you dose your dogs? I have 1000 mg capsules that are pretty big and both my dogs weigh 13-14 pounds. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I've been dumping the contents one 1000mg capsule into Phineas' dinner since we mentioned it for dogs here.
He weighs around 50 lbs.

Maybe sprinkle the contents of one of the halves into the two dogs dishes and pop the other half yourself?

Good luck!!

Mossy

They look quite benign to me, if not fresh and clean, as far as food from living animals go. Both in their raw and cooked forms.

P.S. I realize "clean" may be the wrong word for a shelled, sea creature, as it's my understanding that most are the cleaners of the ocean, As compared to a bloody piece of meat, "clean" came to mind.

Last edited:
It seems that taurine triggers the endogenous opioid system to increase growth hormone and prolactin.

My question Is, if one inhibits the endogenous opioid system just a little, will this prevent taurine from exerting this PRL promoting effect, and if so, will taurine supplementation still be beneficial.

The effect of taurine on growth hormone (GH) and prolactin (PRL) secretion was investigated in the urethane-α-chloralose anethetized rats, considering the interaction with endogenous opioid peptidergic system injection of taurine (0.25 and 1.0 μmol) stimulated GH and PRL secretion in a dose-dependent manner. However, 4.0 μmol taurine failed to show these effect. The intravenous infusion of naloxone (4 mg/kg b.w.) completely inhibited both the GH and PRL secretion induced by taurine (1.0 μmol). The combined treatment of taurine (1.0 μmol) and FK33-824 (Met-enkephalin derivative, 100 μg/kg b.w., i.v.) significantly increased GH and PRL responses induced by taurine or FK33-824 alone. These results indicate that taurine is an effective stimulator of GH and PRL secretion in rats, and that the mechanism of this action involves the opioid peptidergic system in the hypothalamus.

And this study that Dr. Yadav has done with his team hasn’t replicated in this other study where rats did not have extended lifespan with taurine

The dietary treatments had no significant effect on overall survival. The F344 rats were 18 months of age at the start of the study and median survival times after initiation of the diets were as follows; control, 241 days; taurine-free diet, 274 days; and taurine-supplemented diet, 245 days. Body weights (Fig. 1) exhibited a similar trend with the aged rats showing a progressive loss of body weight after they reached about 24 months of age, reflecting their declining general health status. The

Discussion​

These studies generated many new findings about taurine homeostasis in the aging F344 rat. The major finding was that the renal loss of taurine cannot explain the reductions in serum and tissue content of taurine. In fact, the extreme renal conservation of taurine is indicative of a taurine-deficient state (Rozen and Scriver, 1982, Dabbagh et al., 1991). Renal function was severely impaired as indicated by the urinary loss of protein, glucose, glycine and potassium; however, the renal adaptive

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
It seems that taurine triggers the endogenous opioid system to increase growth hormone and prolactin.

My question Is, if one inhibits the endogenous opioid system just a little, will this prevent taurine from exerting this PRL promoting effect, and if so, will taurine supplementation still be beneficial.

The effect of taurine on growth hormone (GH) and prolactin (PRL) secretion was investigated in the urethane-α-chloralose anethetized rats, considering the interaction with endogenous opioid peptidergic system injection of taurine (0.25 and 1.0 μmol) stimulated GH and PRL secretion in a dose-dependent manner. However, 4.0 μmol taurine failed to show these effect. The intravenous infusion of naloxone (4 mg/kg b.w.) completely inhibited both the GH and PRL secretion induced by taurine (1.0 μmol). The combined treatment of taurine (1.0 μmol) and FK33-824 (Met-enkephalin derivative, 100 μg/kg b.w., i.v.) significantly increased GH and PRL responses induced by taurine or FK33-824 alone. These results indicate that taurine is an effective stimulator of GH and PRL secretion in rats, and that the mechanism of this action involves the opioid peptidergic system in the hypothalamus.
Thanks, it probably explains the constipation for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals