Talc in Aspirin

loess

I'll have to try that. I'm probably worrying over nothing here, but with the baking soda I'm a little wary of the whole milk alkali syndrome deal? Though I've only started reading about it in the last day so I am mostly uninformed.

I rinse my mouth and gargle with 1/2 tsp of baking soda after most meals, especially after OJ in an effort to protect my tooth enamel from any further damage than I've already done. I destroyed my teeth in my fruitarian days eating very little protein, not enough calories overall and letting lots of citrus juices sit on my teeth for long periods of time after eating. So with this daily routine of the rinsing/gargling and using the baking soda to dissolve the aspirin, is that enough NaHCO3 to cause any concern with regard to milk consumption? I drink a lot of milk.

Dan W

Loess, J. is definitely the one knowledgeable about milk alkali syndrome, but I wouldn't be worried in your position: you're not actually ingesting that much alkaline material, just enough to cancel out the acidity of the aspirin.

loess

I tried it out and it worked pretty well! There were only a few aspirin crystals that I could see that didn't get dissolved. I'm sure I'm splitting hairs on milk alkali syndrome, it's fine. I just have a tendency to triple check myself on these things so I don't end up in bad shape.

loess

Hmm. For some reason I haven't been able to replicate the results that I got the first time, or else I wasn't looking closely enough the first time. I use about 1/3 tsp of baking soda to about 1/4 tsp of aspirin, added to 1/4 oz of water. I let it bubble and do its thing for a good 10 minutes. Some of the crystals look like they maybe broke in half but there's a lot of them that are still there...

loess

a-HA. Figured out what my problem was. HOT water (or milk or juice or whatever) with the baking soda is the key to a happy aspirin dissolving experience.

Ben

loess said:
Hmm. For some reason I haven't been able to replicate the results that I got the first time, or else I wasn't looking closely enough the first time. I use about 1/3 tsp of baking soda to about 1/4 tsp of aspirin, added to 1/4 oz of water. I let it bubble and do its thing for a good 10 minutes. Some of the crystals look like they maybe broke in half but there's a lot of them that are still there...
How have your results been using this method, and how much have you been using? I think what I was doing wrong was mixing aspirin and baking soda in cold juice, which led to stomach aches and possibly some temporary stomach lining damage. Actually it didn't mix at all. So I might try out mixing aspirin and baking soda in some hot water and letting it stand like you said. Do more of the crystals dissolve if you let it stand? Also, what do you mean by 1/4 oz of water? 1/4 fl oz is 1/64 an average 16 oz bottle of water.

jyb

Indeed, in cold liquid it won't dissolve much. It should be clear from tasting it. Why not dissolve it in boiling water first, wait a few minutes, then filter any solids bits or talc remaining?

Alternatively, baking soda too but I didn't know there was an advantage - boiling water should already dissolve most of it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals