Aspirin And ACE Inhibitors

messtafarian

This is a pretty thorny problem.

I've finally gotten a diagnosis of left ventricular hypertrophy through an ecohcardiogram. Because of this the doctor has added another drug to my regime called Lisinopril -- this is an ACE inhibitor to go along with my calcium channel blocker. I dropped the calcium channel blocker for a while to see if I could fix it on my own using Peat; and I have to say I really had some success but every once in a while my blood pressure would spike and really worry me. So I went back on the blocker and then had a real scare in the ER where my blood pressure really just hit outrageous scary numbers.

The next day, (today); I woke up and applied everything I knew. I took 1/4 teaspoon progest-e; 4 grams of chewable calcium; 2 grams of "orange juice pills" with dolomite for potassium; 100 mg of magnesium, Vitamin K -- and had tortilla chips with SALT; plus a couple cups of sugary coffee. I also took two regular aspirin, and my calcium channel blocker.

When I went to the doctor my blood pressure, in multiple readings, averaged 125/80 and I actually felt really great -- calm, with energy.

She then told me about the hypertrophy and prescribed Lisinopril.

I am really on the fence about this. According to the attending cardiologist, if I take this medication and am seriously compliant, it is possible that the hypertophy will resolve -- in other words my ventricle will go back to normal. Plus, if I don't take it -- well, I could have a stroke or a heart attack. It's possible.

The problem is that this drug somehow interacts somewhat badly with aspirin, which I want to keep taking almost more than I want to take the lisinopril, because I *absolutely believe* in its protective powers. Taking aspirin with the ACE not only doesn't work -- they also antagonize each other, or so the literature theorizes. But aspirin is also protective against all kinds of other inflammatory conditions and I was happy about taking it -- in fact I wanted to work up to taking even more of it since all I've been getting for six months is one dose of radiation after another. I am worried about getting cancer and I have no doubt whatsoever that aspirin is chemopreventive.

However I am also sort of over my head reading the literature here. Maybe I'm wrong -- maybe I can keep taking aspirin or maybe it will still have protective effects despite the ACE inhibitor. Is anybody into these studies at all or; does anyone have any insight into ACE inhibitors and their interactions with Peat recommendations?

Thanks in advance for replies, this is a tough one.

haidut

Forum Supporter
messtafarian said:

I've finally gotten a diagnosis of left ventricular hypertrophy through an ecohcardiogram. Because of this the doctor has added another drug to my regime called Lisinopril -- this is an ACE inhibitor to go along with my calcium channel blocker. I dropped the calcium channel blocker for a while to see if I could fix it on my own using Peat; and I have to say I really had some success but every once in a while my blood pressure would spike and really worry me. So I went back on the blocker and then had a real scare in the ER where my blood pressure really just hit outrageous scary numbers.

The next day, (today); I woke up and applied everything I knew. I took 1/4 teaspoon progest-e; 4 grams of chewable calcium; 2 grams of "orange juice pills" with dolomite for potassium; 100 mg of magnesium, Vitamin K -- and had tortilla chips with SALT; plus a couple cups of sugary coffee. I also took two regular aspirin, and my calcium channel blocker.

When I went to the doctor my blood pressure, in multiple readings, averaged 125/80 and I actually felt really great -- calm, with energy.

I am really on the fence about this. According to the attending cardiologist, if I take this medication and am seriously compliant, it is possible that the hypertophy will resolve -- in other words my ventricle will go back to normal. Plus, if I don't take it -- well, I could have a stroke or a heart attack. It's possible.

The problem is that this drug somehow interacts somewhat badly with aspirin, which I want to keep taking almost more than I want to take the lisinopril, because I *absolutely believe* in its protective powers. Taking aspirin with the ACE not only doesn't work -- they also antagonize each other, or so the literature theorizes. But aspirin is also protective against all kinds of other inflammatory conditions and I was happy about taking it -- in fact I wanted to work up to taking even more of it since all I've been getting for six months is one dose of radiation after another. I am worried about getting cancer and I have no doubt whatsoever that aspirin is chemopreventive.

However I am also sort of over my head reading the literature here. Maybe I'm wrong -- maybe I can keep taking aspirin or maybe it will still have protective effects despite the ACE inhibitor. Is anybody into these studies at all or; does anyone have any insight into ACE inhibitors and their interactions with Peat recommendations?

I have good news for you. Taurine has the same effects as the pharma drug your doctors prescribes. Also, it synergizes really well with aspirin rather than antagonize it. Here are some studies for your doctor to review.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10949914
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9635024
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 013-1507-z

I used to have such scary blood pressure spikes as well. After a month of 15g of taurine daily it resolved for good! Years later I have no more blood pressure issues. Taurine works wonders for cardiac and liver issues.

tomisonbottom

I have good news for you. Taurine has the same effects as the pharma drug your doctors prescribes. Also, it synergizes really well with aspirin rather than antagonize it. Here are some studies for your doctor to review.

Interaction between the actions of taurine and angiotensin II. - PubMed - NCBI
Taurine improves angiotensin II-induced hypertrophy of cultured neonatal rat heart cells. - PubMed - NCBI
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 013-1507-z

I used to have such scary blood pressure spikes as well. After a month of 15g of taurine daily it resolved for good! Years later I have no more blood pressure issues. Taurine works wonders for cardiac and liver issues.

Wow, that's amazing.

Did that much taurine make you sleepy?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Wow, that's amazing.

Did that much taurine make you sleepy?

Yes, it did for the first week and then it went away. But I don't think anybody need this high a dose. Subsequent human studies showed that as "little" as 1.5g lowers blood pressure.

accelerator

What did you end up doing?

Jing

15 grams all at once or spread throughout the day?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals