Aspirin may reverse NAFLD/fibrosis by reducing fat accumulation, inflammation

haidut

Forum Supporter
Another great win for aspirin, especially considering the prevalence of NAFLD, NASH, fibrosis/cirrhosis and even liver cancer. This post comes mere minutes after the post on a single tablet aspirin (300mg) daily putting a terminal liver cancer in remission. This study below used a low-dose (81mg) aspirin, but given the benefits of the "high-dose" (300mg) in the prior study I don't see a reason not to try higher doses for even stronger effects in NAFLD/NASH/fibrosis cases.

Low-Dose Aspirin Reduces Liver Fat, Inflammation Markers
"...Patients with metabolic-associated steatotic liver disease (MASLD, formerly NAFLD) without cirrhosis who took daily low-dose aspirin in a double-blind randomized trial demonstated significant reductions in liver fat content over 6 months compared with similar patients who took a placebo, study results show. "In MASLD without cirrhosis, low-dose aspirin, 81 milligrams daily, led to decreases in liver fat and improved markers of hepatic inflammation and fibrosis," reported Robert M. Wilechansky, MD, a transplant hepatology fellow at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. "It was safe and well tolerated in this study, but we would like to see larger, longer-term clinical trials to test the efficacy of aspirin for improving histology and preventing adverse outcomes in MASLD," he said here at The Liver Meeting 2023: American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)."

"...Aspirin was also associated with significantly greater reductions in liver transaminase levels and liver stiffness by VCTE. About one third of patients in each study arm had at least one adverse event. There was only one aspirin-related adverse event (heartburn) that led to discontinuation. There were no serious bleeding events in either arm. "We're going to have to consider stratifying by aspirin use now in our trials," said Mark Hartman, MD, from Eli Lilly & Co. in Indianapolis."

Ismail

Absolutely amazing! Another win for aspirin!

Thank you for always summarising these studies and pulling out the “nuggets”, much appreciated.

@haidut just out of interest, do you still take aspirin? If so, how much and how often?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Absolutely amazing! Another win for aspirin!

Thank you for always summarising these studies and pulling out the “nuggets”, much appreciated.

@haidut just out of interest, do you still take aspirin? If so, how much and how often?

Yes, I do, usually a regular (325mg) tablet daily but sometimes I skip days b/c I forget taking it. It seems to synergize with the 500mg niacinamide I take with it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@haidut have you seen any studies on aspirin regarding ALDH and/or bile flow?

InChristAlone

Finally got my husband off aspirin. It wasn't doing much other than maybe being a weak aromatase inhibitor as he has a lot of fat in his gut, but never increased his extremely low testosterone or helped him lose weight. Or helped his lipid panel. Or lowered his fasting blood glucose. When he was taking over 500 mg was when he was at his most unhealthy. I seriously wonder about these studies. It's not a miracle drug. It could maybe keep you alive, but won't cure anything.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Finally got my husband off aspirin. It wasn't doing much other than maybe being a weak aromatase inhibitor as he has a lot of fat in his gut, but never increased his extremely low testosterone or helped him lose weight. Or helped his lipid panel. Or lowered his fasting blood glucose. When he was taking over 500 mg was when he was at his most unhealthy. I seriously wonder about these studies. It's not a miracle drug. It could maybe keep you alive, but won't cure anything.
I am still on the fence about aspirin. When I would take it back in the toxic Peat days it would always make my dermatitis much much worse, and I mean like really really bad worse. So I am wondering if it did that by increasing the detox, or did it do that because it made my liver back up or I just do not know really. And as we know, B vitamins are simply antidotes to toxins, and as we know, @haidut's study showed that B1, B3 and B7 along with Aspirin knocked out a tumor. Like Dr. Smith says tumors are nothing more then bags of toxins, so basically they injected the mouse with toxins and the B combo with Aspirin cleared it. Basically @haidut proved parts of #toxicbiletheory correct with his study. So I am wondering, if maybe, just maybe, aspirin is the next key to the toxic bile theory that will speed up the detox process.

My main concerns with aspirin are how does it effect bile flow, and how does is effect the ALDH pathways as we know that is paramount for toxic bile theory. I am hoping Dr. Smith will look into this and I am also hoping @haidut can help us find more clarity on this.

IVILA

I am still on the fence about aspirin. When I would take it back in the toxic Peat days it would always make my dermatitis much much worse, and I mean like really really bad worse. So I am wondering if it did that by increasing the detox, or did it do that because it made my liver back up or I just do not know really. And as we know, B vitamins are simply antidotes to toxins, and as we know, @haidut's study showed that B1, B3 and B7 along with Aspirin knocked out a tumor. Like Dr. Smith says tumors are nothing more then bags of toxins, so basically they injected the mouse with toxins and the B combo with Aspirin cleared it. Basically @haidut proved parts of #toxicbiletheory correct with his study. So I am wondering, if maybe, just maybe, aspirin is the next key to the toxic bile theory that will speed up the detox process.

My main concerns with aspirin are how does it effect bile flow, and how does is effect the ALDH pathways as we know that is paramount for toxic bile theory. I am hoping Dr. Smith will look into this and I am also hoping @haidut can help us find more clarity on this.
It makes my dermatitis worse too. Especially around the eyes for some reason. Not exactly sure why but as I experiment with a higher dose, the dermatitis clearly gets evidently worse the next day in the mirror.

InChristAlone

Yeah I don't know about the studies. Of course if someone has a tumor that's a different story. But for those us with no cancer do we take it in the hopes it will prevent cancer?
In the case of my husband, he was heading towards diabetes. He just told me his hunger is finally decreasing. I have him taking charcoal and eating beans. It's the hunger that keeps people on the road to metabolic syndrome. He could never control his hunger. The aspirin did seem like an antidote to the Peat diet lol!!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It makes my dermatitis worse too. Especially around the eyes for some reason. Not exactly sure why
The dermatitis is retonoic acid, which is "Vitamin A". It is the "vitamin A" that is leaching through the skin and burns the skin on the way out. So it would seem, that Aspirin increases the detoxification of "vitamin A", and at an incredibly accelerated rate. I just wish I could understand how it is doing in.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
In the case of my husband, he was heading towards diabetes.
Well we know the "vitamin A" causes insulin resistance in the liver so basically it causes diabetes. There have been at least 2 people who have come off their insulin in the low toxin groups.

tallglass13

I have stopped Aspirin , d/t it still being an NSAID. NSAID's , like Iburophen, but includes Aspirin, block Specific Prostaglandins that are responsible for proper blood flow and artery health. One of the Prostaglandin PI 3, also known as Prostacyclin, it our natural blood thinner. In the ER, we use Prostacyclin or TPA to break up clots during an acute ischemic stroke. Using asprin at 81mg has a blood thinning effect, but it also has a vasoconstricting effect collaterally.

1993 Feb;87(2):583-9.
doi: 10.1161/01.cir.87.2.583.

Effect of aspirin on coronary collateral blood flow​

J D Altman 1, D Dulas, T Pavek, R J Bache
Affiliations expand

Abstract​

Background: Although aspirin exerts beneficial antiplatelet activity in patients with coronary artery disease, cyclooxygenase blockade produced by aspirin causes a potentially deleterious effect by interrupting endothelial production of prostacyclin. Collateral vessels that develop in response to coronary occlusion display prominent endothelial cell proliferation and undergo vasoconstriction in response to indomethacin. This study was performed to test the hypothesis that cyclooxygenase blockade with aspirin would cause constriction of coronary collateral vessels and that such vasoconstriction would be reversed with nitroglycerin.
Methods and results: Collateral vessel growth was induced by embolic occlusion of the left anterior descending coronary artery in dogs. Four to 6 months later, coronary collateral flow was measured as retrograde flow from the cannulated collateral-dependent artery. Aspirin (1 mg/kg i.v.) caused 70 +/- 8% blockade of the increase in coronary blood flow produced by intra-arterial arachidonic acid and decreased retrograde flow from 37 +/- 7 to 28 +/- 7 ml/min (p < 0.03). Increasing the dose of aspirin to 15 mg/kg i.v. caused 91 +/- 3% blockade of the response to arachidonic acid and further decreased retrograde flow to 21 +/- 4 ml/min (p < 0.01). After aspirin administration, nitroglycerin (150 micrograms/min i.c.) reversed the collateral constriction and increased retrograde flow to 37 +/- 10 ml/min (p < 0.01).
Conclusions: These data suggest that products of cyclooxygenase metabolism cause tonic vasodilation of well-developed coronary collateral vessels. Blockade of cyclooxygenase with even low-dose aspirin caused collateral vessel constriction with a decrease in collateral blood flow. However, nitroglycerin was able to fully reverse aspirin-induced collateral vasoconstriction and restore flow to the control level.

IVILA

The dermatitis is retonoic acid, which is "Vitamin A". It is the "vitamin A" that is leaching through the skin and burns the skin on the way out. So it would seem, that Aspirin increases the detoxification of "vitamin A", and at an incredibly accelerated rate. I just wish I could understand how it is doing in.
I think it's unwise to just say "Vitamin A". I think it could be high bilirubin leaching into the blood from the liver cholestasis along with many other toxins built up. Is it the detoxification or is it that there are now more load on the liver, that the only way out is scratching the skin and getting it out that way?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Conclusions: These data suggest that products of cyclooxygenase metabolism cause tonic vasodilation of well-developed coronary collateral vessels. Blockade of cyclooxygenase with even low-dose aspirin caused collateral vessel constriction with a decrease in collateral blood flow. However, nitroglycerin was able to fully reverse aspirin-induced collateral vasoconstriction and restore flow to the control level.
Ouch.
Is it the detoxification or is it that there are now more load on the liver, that the only way out is scratching the skin and getting it out that way?
And that is the million dollar question right now.

InChristAlone

I have stopped Aspirin , d/t it still being an NSAID. NSAID , like Iburophen, but includes Aspirin, block Specific Prostaglandins that are responsible for proper blood flow and artery health. One of the Prostaglandin PI 3, also known as Prostacyclin, it our natural blood thinner. In the ER, we use Prostacyclin or TPA to break up clots during an acute ischemic stroke. Using asprin at 81mg has a blood thinning effect, but it also has a vasoconstricting effect collaterally.

1993 Feb;87(2):583-9.
doi: 10.1161/01.cir.87.2.583.

Effect of aspirin on coronary collateral blood flow​

J D Altman 1, D Dulas, T Pavek, R J Bache
Affiliations expand

Abstract​

Background: Although aspirin exerts beneficial antiplatelet activity in patients with coronary artery disease, cyclooxygenase blockade produced by aspirin causes a potentially deleterious effect by interrupting endothelial production of prostacyclin. Collateral vessels that develop in response to coronary occlusion display prominent endothelial cell proliferation and undergo vasoconstriction in response to indomethacin. This study was performed to test the hypothesis that cyclooxygenase blockade with aspirin would cause constriction of coronary collateral vessels and that such vasoconstriction would be reversed with nitroglycerin.
Methods and results: Collateral vessel growth was induced by embolic occlusion of the left anterior descending coronary artery in dogs. Four to 6 months later, coronary collateral flow was measured as retrograde flow from the cannulated collateral-dependent artery. Aspirin (1 mg/kg i.v.) caused 70 +/- 8% blockade of the increase in coronary blood flow produced by intra-arterial arachidonic acid and decreased retrograde flow from 37 +/- 7 to 28 +/- 7 ml/min (p < 0.03). Increasing the dose of aspirin to 15 mg/kg i.v. caused 91 +/- 3% blockade of the response to arachidonic acid and further decreased retrograde flow to 21 +/- 4 ml/min (p < 0.01). After aspirin administration, nitroglycerin (150 micrograms/min i.c.) reversed the collateral constriction and increased retrograde flow to 37 +/- 10 ml/min (p < 0.01).
Yeah my husband also has high blood pressure though he can control it with litres of water. Not good if it was contributing to the constriction of his blood vessels. I was honestly seriously worried about his heart health. He's only 42. I'm glad he's off of it for now. The detox diet so far is doing good things. I am really hesitant to add much else other than niacin which I haven't started him on yet.

IVILA

Ouch.

And that is the million dollar question right now.
The thing is, scratching and unclear skin usually is a negative sign. I usually scratch my skin when I'm super stressed and have an adrenaline/serotonergic response.

Don

Maybe your on to something with bile flow, as aspirin can triggers reflux in people.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Maybe your on to something with bile flow, as aspirin can triggers reflux in people.
Interesting. I am thinking about embarking on a low dose aspirin experiment to see how I respond.

Peater

I think it gave me really bad heartburn at night BUT I was also dealing with another issue at the time without realising what was causing it. But even then, it definitely correlated to aspirin powder use. However that it may well be OK now. I don't want to throw another supplement back on the pile at the moment though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals