T3/T4 Supplementation Sore Throat

Soren

Forum Supporter
Have been on t3/t4 for a couple of months all been going fine until last week when I started to get a sore throat.

I stopped taking t3/t4 and within a couple of days my sore throat had gone. Then last night to test my hypothesis I took a small dose of t3/t4 and woke up with a sore throat again.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Dotdash

Could be taking too much. Same thing happened to me. I emailed Dr Peat and he suggested taking smaller amounts at a time or lower the dose entirely. It also could be the type you are taking does not agree with you. I've tried several different ones and have settled on Nutrimeds as being the most effective for me.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
t
Could be taking too much. Same thing happened to me. I emailed Dr Peat and he suggested taking smaller amounts at a time or lower the dose entirely. It also could be the type you are taking does not agree with you. I've tried several different ones and have settled on Nutrimeds as being the most effective for me.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if it is the dose, I was only taking 3mcg of t3 and 6mcg of t4 (tyromix), twice a day once in morning and once at night. And when I tried it again i only had one dose yet I still got a sore throat.

I'm wondering if it could be a normalisation of the thyroid and only temporary but I am worried that it could be a stress reaction of some kind or something more sinister. How much were you taking?

Dotdash

I was taking 1/4 tablet of cynoplus 2x daily. Within an hour of each dose my throat swelled and was inflamed. I cut it back to 1/8 tablet 3x daily and the swelling/inflammation stopped. I don't use cynoplus/cynomel any longer as I do not have a prescription for either one. Much experimenting landed me at Nutrimeds. Tyromix just may not be right for you.

Not knowing what one should feel when taking thyroid is a problem many, including myself, experience. So much focus on temps and pulse that nothing is said about the throat area and how it should respond. I defer to Dr Peat's recent newsletter about the fallacy of the idea: No pain, no gain. That is a misleading concept that circulates freely. Where else in our body would we tolerate a feeling of inflammation and consider it okay? We understand the concept of inflamed tissues when they are healing - but just how long should that continue? At some point in time we would consider continued redness/inflammation a signal something has gone wrong in the healing process. We would consider infection has taken place or some other caustic irritation reaction. Hope these ideas help.

Dotdash

You might also read the thread titled "Sore Throat + Resurgence of Hypothyroid Symptoms". The comments by "diokine" are very good for thought.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Red light shone on the thyroid does the same to a few of us.

for me red light shone on the thyroid 3 times a week doesn't so far seem to have the same sore throat effect, i think similar to supplemental t3 and t4 a lot depends on the dose.

Jsaute21

for me red light shone on the thyroid 3 times a week doesn't so far seem to have the same sore throat effect, i think similar to supplemental t3 and t4 a lot depends on the dose.
I haven't noticed the exact correlation you observed but i am very frustrated with getting two bad colds this winter since starting t3/t4. Frustrating because many other health markers have improved since i have begun supplementation. My fiance commented how strange it is that i have gotten sick twice this winter. She has never seen me sick twice in a winter before, and come to think of it, i never have been.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals