Suspected endometriosis - progesterone not helping...

I think I may have endometriosis despite using large amounts of progesterone! I am still waiting for a GP appointment but from my last experience, I do not have faith I will be taken seriously. This is the second month I have had sudden onset of excruciating pain on day 1 of my period - like the worst pain I have ever felt and its localised to my ovary area primarily on one side. It is the type of pain where you cannot think about anything else, makes me sweaty and want to vomit. I do not think its appendicitis, especially as it goes away after day 1 and its associated with menstruation. The last time it happened, I actually called the non-emergency line only to be told 'you know periods can be painful right? Take some co-codamol'. The NHS is USELESS unless you are actually about to die... even then...

Everything I read online, especially by @haidut , says this is estrogen driven and progesterone should help but I have been taking huge amounts of progesterone for months??? I have tried Progest-E but I feel better on a topical cream (its bioidentical, not progestin). I also take occasional cypro, aspirin and estroban.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what could be going on?! Or anything else I should try?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I would look into Vitamin A toxicity.

OP
curious_anthro
I would look into Vitamin A toxicity.
Thank you. Do you have any info on that correlation?

I saw someone post about altered vitamin A metabolism possibly having a link, but they mostly talk about a deficiency in the article

Momma

Post in thread 'Help For Endometriosis'
Help For Endometriosis

When i had it, it aligned with what Peat says above. I was protein deficient; nutrient and calorically deficient actually.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I hope you feel better, hang in there.

Doctors should be able to find out if you have endometriosis or not relatively easily with palpations and ultrasound tests. Try to see an OBGYN.

It could be anything, the pain you are describing.

Momma's post is helpful.

Momma

@Momma did you manage to get rid of the endometriosis symptoms when you aligned with Peat?
Yes i did. And was able to successfully get pregnant. It was hypothyroidism out of control. Once I addressed that, i healed. Peat is right.

Rafe

That pain sounds like fibroid cysts.

A sonogram should be able to see if that’s it. The usual medical treatments are surgery, but there is also dilation & curettage basically scraping the uterine lining (I’m not sure how that helps really), or the injection of chemicals that starve the blood supply to the cyst to get it to shrink.

Estrogen & serotonin would cause all types of fibrosis.

Lowering those with the usual goal of shifting out of a stress metabolism would be the main thing. But with the pain you’re having, if it’s fibroids, you could decide you need something medical.

OP
curious_anthro
Thanks so much everyone who has chimed in!

I have been working on all the above stated but I suppose I’m still in the thick of it. I have increased calories and eat adequate protein but it feels like a big boat turning, so to speak, with my thyroid/metabolism healing.

It’s so frustrating as I feel I am doing everything to support my body and prevent things like this happening. And so strange how out of the blue this is!

OP
curious_anthro
That pain sounds like fibroid cysts.

A sonogram should be able to see if that’s it. The usual medical treatments are surgery, but there is also dilation & curettage basically scraping the uterine lining (I’m not sure how that helps really), or the injection of chemicals that starve the blood supply to the cyst to get it to shrink.

Estrogen & serotonin would cause all types of fibrosis.

Lowering those with the usual goal of shifting out of a stress metabolism would be the main thing. But with the pain you’re having, if it’s fibroids, you could decide you need something medical.
That’s really helpful, thank you.

I’ve never understood what fibroids are. Definitely feels something like ovarian cyst, endometriosis or fibroids… but the doctor’s response last time was it’s probably just a “painful period”. It’s so incredibly disheartening when doctors don’t believe you.

L_C

I’ve never understood what fibroids are. Definitely feels something like ovarian cyst, endometriosis or fibroids… but the doctor’s response last time was it’s probably just a “painful period”. It’s so incredibly disheartening when doctors don’t believe you.
I have been taking progesterone for a few years anywhere between a few mg to 150 mg. Such a large dose I took only for a few days. It does take time to come out of the estrogen dominance.

Also, it helped to eliminate the foods that cause more harm than good. In my case it was dairy. Once I stopped eating that, my body started to normalize. Now, I feel like I dont need progesterone at all.

In addition, I found the book by Mason - Natural Health for women quite helpfull (unsure about the diet recommendation).

frannybananny

My horrible endometriosis started after my C-section to birth my son. After a few miserable years of excrutiating pain before and during my periods I finally started researching this and also joined the Endometriosis Foundation (lots of info there). I found that you can actually get endomtriosis from C-sections when the doctor might drop miscroscopic pieces of the uterus into the abdominal cavity, then every cycle leading to menstration the microscopic pieces of uterine grow and shed just like the uterus does. I also developed benign cysts on my ovaries which were very painful and had me in bed 5 days out of a month. After these cysts were diagnosed and they opened me up to make sure they were benign and removed them, the doctor suggested injections of Lupron to upset the FSH cycle and dry up all the remaining endo lesions. This worked like a miracle, no menstration cycle for 4-6 months then became regular again and had normal periods. We were trying to get pregnant again but that didn't happen.

Anyway, I just wanted to say if the pain gets too bad, check for ovarian cysts using ultrasound (very common with endo) and talk to your doctor about Lupron. You only get injections for 3-4 months, a blessed relief.....no estrogen circulating through your body.

OP
curious_anthro
My horrible endometriosis started after my C-section to birth my son. After a few miserable years of excrutiating pain before and during my periods I finally started researching this and also joined the Endometriosis Foundation (lots of info there). I found that you can actually get endomtriosis from C-sections when the doctor might drop miscroscopic pieces of the uterus into the abdominal cavity, then every cycle leading to menstration the microscopic pieces of uterine grow and shed just like the uterus does. I also developed benign cysts on my ovaries which were very painful and had me in bed 5 days out of a month. After these cysts were diagnosed and they opened me up to make sure they were benign and removed them, the doctor suggested injections of Lupron to upset the FSH cycle and dry up all the remaining endo lesions. This worked like a miracle, no menstration cycle for 4-6 months then became regular again and had normal periods. We were trying to get pregnant again but that didn't happen.

Anyway, I just wanted to say if the pain gets too bad, check for ovarian cysts using ultrasound (very common with endo) and talk to your doctor about Lupron. You only get injections for 3-4 months, a blessed relief.....no estrogen circulating through your body.
That is awful! I am sorry you had to endure that. How do you feel these days? Has the endo returned?

Lupron seems like a very powerful drug. Do you think it interfered with trying to get pregnant again? I am in the UK so not even sure what the standard is for treating endo here but even just getting a doctor to listen to you is really difficult.

OP
curious_anthro
I have been taking progesterone for a few years anywhere between a few mg to 150 mg. Such a large dose I took only for a few days. It does take time to come out of the estrogen dominance.

Also, it helped to eliminate the foods that cause more harm than good. In my case it was dairy. Once I stopped eating that, my body started to normalize. Now, I feel like I dont need progesterone at all.

In addition, I found the book by Mason - Natural Health for women quite helpfull (unsure about the diet recommendation).
Out of curiosity, how many years do you think it took you to feel like you got a handle on your estrogen dominance? Did anything else really help alongside the progesterone useage? And did you use progest-e?

L_C

Out of curiosity, how many years do you think it took you to feel like you got a handle on your estrogen dominance? Did anything else really help alongside the progesterone useage? And did you use progest-e?
If I stopped eating problematic foods, I would come out of the estrogen dominance much sooner, maybe within 7 months. But because it took me longer to figure out gut-hormone-diet connection, it took close to 2 years.

I used haidut's progestene which works great.

Progesterone was the only thing that helped. I did take (and still do) b- vitamins. I did take take tocovit as well but personally I never really felt much.

OP
curious_anthro
If I stopped eating problematic foods, I would come out of the estrogen dominance much sooner, maybe within 7 months. But because it took me longer to figure out gut-hormone-diet connection, it took close to 2 years.

I used haidut's progestene which works great.

Progesterone was the only thing that helped. I did take (and still do) b- vitamins. I did take take tocovit as well but personally I never really felt much.
That is very helpful information thank you!

How did you take progestene? Oral/topical?

Peachy

Have you looked into myo-inositol? It’s often recommended for endometriosis. Canteloupe is rich in it and there are also supplements. It may be helpful if you have symptoms of high androgens or insulin resistance (often the case with PCOS/endometriosis but not always, as I understand it).

OP
curious_anthro
Have you looked into myo-inositol? It’s often recommended for endometriosis. Canteloupe is rich in it and there are also supplements. It may be helpful if you have symptoms of high androgens or insulin resistance (often the case with PCOS/endometriosis but not always, as I understand it).

Thanks for this, I was actually considering getting back on it! I used to take it years ago when I was still on birth control and it did seem to help then.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals