Taking Progesterone Throughout Entire Cycle?

Amazigh

I've always read that if you are still menstruating, that you should cycle on and off progesterone.

I'm 51, still have periods, and taking about 200mg progesterone every day (without cycling). My periods still come, and they've actually normalized.

QUESTION: If I'm still getting my period as usual while taking this much progesterone, could that be an indication that my estrogen is still high? (I don't know my levels and i dont have easy access to DIY blood work here in NJ).

By the way the reason I'm taking this amount of progesterone is that I have multiple uterine fibroids (my uterus is the size of a 5 month pregnancy). I've been struggling with hormonal issues for the last 5 years, with clear high estrogen symptoms including super heavy periods, breast growth, and weight gain (among others).

I'm also taking other stuff to inhibit/counter the estrogen, including e, thyroid, etc.

tara

I'm 51, still have periods, and taking about 200mg progesterone every day (without cycling).
WHat form of progesterone, and how are you taking it?

I didn't take that much every day, but when I was using progesterone every day without cycling it didn't stop me menstruating.
I read something from Peat about taking progesterone continuously, especially larger amounts, can result in the liver becoming more efficient at removing it. If so, you may be getting less effect for that 200mg than someone else taking smaller amounts but cycling it?

OP
Amazigh

Amazigh

I'm taking the Idea Labs Progestene along with Progest-e.

The Electrical Body site says this:

"Around menopause, a 14 day use pattern, followed by 14 days of no use, seems reasonable unless symptoms such as hot flashes, recur when the oil is stopped. In that case, the person could try continuous use for a month or two, then a return to cycling."

Not sure how long it would be reasonable or advisable to take it the way I am for the fibroids, but I was going to try it for at least 2-3 months.

The reason I'm asking is that according to them, taking it continously causes a missed period supposedly:

"...the basic procedure should be to use it in sufficient quantity to make the symptoms disappear, and to time its use so that menstrual cycles are not disrupted. This normally means using it only between ovulation and menstruation unless symptoms are sufficiently serious that a missed period is not important to you."

tara

The reason I'm asking is that according to them, taking it continously causes a missed period supposedly:
Yeah. I didn't miss any periods for taking it continuously either.
But I don't know what the implications are for your situation. Speculating, there might be advantages to cycling in terms of restoring sensitivity to the hormone, unless stopping causes you more pain in between?

wild-bee

when I first started using it I didn't cycle and it took a long time to feel ok enough to takes breaks. I think the progesteroentherpay website says to use continuously for fibroids.
200mg (cream?) isn't much really, I thought I needed to use enough to get my periods to stop - my reasoning was that it would 'prove' I had overcome estrogen but the constant rubbing on cream was a nuisance and I didn't feel significantly better on higher doses to justify the cost. 300mg seems to be my sweet spot to combat anxiety

is a missed period important to you? I have tried and tried but only managed to delay for 12 days then it came anyway...