Should I Rinse Cottage Cheese

sprinter

I know Ray Peat is not a fan of yogurt and recommends rinsing it due to lactic acid.

What about cottage cheese though?

I know cottage cheese is pretty simple to make and rinsing it is not that hard, but sometimes it is very convenient for me to eat it right out of the tub.

I use daisy brand 2% milk fat, ingredients: cultured skim milk, cream, salt, vitamin A palimate.

It is a little sour, but not as much as disgusting yogurt!

Still, I'm pretty sure I've come across recommendations in the Peat world to rinse cottage cheese. What is the reason for this...lactic acid? Does cottage cheese have much less lactic acid then yogurt?

How important is it to rinse cottage cheese?

loess

I hate the sour taste too. I wish I could find a nice clean source of farmers cheese made with milk from pasture-raised cows that didn't have cultures and added vitamins. I used to make it myself all the time, but that requires a functional kitchen space and enough room in the fridge to buy and store lots of milk. Neither of those are things that I have access to in my current living situation. So I have been buying cottage cheese and rinsing it. I don't know how much more lactic acid you really avoid by doing that but I seem to tolerate it much better than greek yogurt.

Birdie

I use the Daisy 2% and I rinse it. Tastes good that way too. By now I can't stand it unrinsed. But I'm eating a lot less of it these days because of that rinse step. I ate it every day for the first couple of years. Then went for a year without it. Now, it's occasional. I'm pretty sure Peat suggested rinsing it to remove lactic acid....

Elephanto

You should buy Quark cheese. It is exactly cottage cheese from which the whey fraction was strained out of. Whey is the acidic fraction, so this leaves only casein (good amino acids profile) and this cheese is usually 0% fat.

tara

How important is it to rinse cottage cheese?
Maybe depends how sensitive you are to lactic acid - I imagine most people wouldn't be bothered by the smaller amount left in regular cottage cheese. But if the system is struggling already, it may be worth the extra effort. And then there's whether you think it's worth it for the taste.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

You should buy Quark cheese. It is exactly cottage cheese from which the whey fraction was strained out of. Whey is the acidic fraction, so this leaves only casein (good amino acids profile) and this cheese is usually 0% fat.

That sounds wonderful. Is this widely available in the US? Can anyone recommend a good brand. I haven't seen it in stores, but I also haven't been looking for it.

Elephanto

That sounds wonderful. Is this widely available in the US? Can anyone recommend a good brand. I haven't seen it in stores, but I also haven't been looking for it.

It's widely available in Canada so I would assume in the US too. It's usually besides sour cream or cottage cheese.

Catcream

Cottage cheese and ricotta, by product with whey removed are really easy to make. There are lots of recipes online, it's a super simple process - bring 2litres of milk to 80 then add quarter of a cup of vinegar, stir, then let it sit for half an hour or sol. Strain through cheesecloth and then wash it for a few minutes under cold water( in the cheese cloth ) Add salt to taste and some milk. Then to make ricotta , take the stained leftover milk from the cottage cheese, heat to 200 and add half a tsp of citric acid and salt and pour through a sieve, no need to rinse. You can need the whey to the cat or make pancakes or something if you're not into them. Lots of better recipes online.

Sheik

I noticed I don't feel that great after eating cottage cheese (Daisy brand, no added vitamins). I think I'll try this.

Do I just throw it in the strainer and run water over it or....?

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Cottage cheese and ricotta, by product with whey removed are really easy to make. There are lots of recipes online, it's a super simple process - bring 2litres of milk to 80 then add quarter of a cup of vinegar, stir, then let it sit for half an hour or sol. Strain through cheesecloth and then wash it for a few minutes under cold water( in the cheese cloth ) Add salt to taste and some milk. Then to make ricotta , take the stained leftover milk from the cottage cheese, heat to 200 and add half a tsp of citric acid and salt and pour through a sieve, no need to rinse. You can need the whey to the cat or make pancakes or something if you're not into them. Lots of better recipes online.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

lvysaur

Paneer is a pretty good acid set, uncultured cheese

Catcream

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Haha. Maybe not.
I'm a cook , it doesn't seem like a big deal ! I live in New Zealand and our food is fairly safe here, cows mostly grass fed, organic foods are easily sourced but I still prefer to spend time creating as much food as from scratch as possible. And the cottage cheese is quite a quick process...:)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals