Salt

aleksfidurski

Pink salt = high iron content = PUFA oxidation catalysts

PUFA in room temperature spontaneously oxidises. Safflower oil placed in a bottle, connected with a tube to another bottle with water. Over a few hours, the oil was respiring - sucking in the water because the oil was consuming oxygen. Oxygen was combining with the unsaturated fats and in the process forming lipid peroxides. Which are toxic free radicals.

It happens faster in our bodies because of the higher temperature. And we have catalytic amounts of iron and heavy metals floating around to accelerate the reactions.

Dr. B

Pink salt = high iron content = PUFA oxidation catalysts

PUFA in room temperature spontaneously oxidises. Safflower oil placed in a bottle, connected with a tube to another bottle with water. Over a few hours, the oil was respiring - sucking in the water because the oil was consuming oxygen. Oxygen was combining with the unsaturated fats and in the process forming lipid peroxides. Which are toxic free radicals.

It happens faster in our bodies because of the higher temperature. And we have catalytic amounts of iron and heavy metals floating around to accelerate the reactions.
Safflower oil is mostly mufa or no?
Ive seen some labels of chips with canola or safflower or sunflower oil and the label reads, 1g saturated, 1g pufa, 5g mufa… its similar to what ive seen on olive oil

sunny

Ray Peat did not like the Himalayan specifically for the pink color- iron residues. He talked about it in an interview.

aleksfidurski

Safflower oil is mostly mufa or no?
Ive seen some labels of chips with canola or safflower or sunflower oil and the label reads, 1g saturated, 1g pufa, 5g mufa… its similar to what ive seen on olive oil
I'm just quoting one of Ray's interviews. He did that experiment himself.

Dr. B

Ray Peat did not like the Himalayan specifically for the pink color- iron residues. He talked about it in an interview.
If you have a low iron diet- or dont eat meat or liver at all, would pink salt be fine in that case? I think Peat said on a milk only diet you would need to supplement iron eventually but otherwise would get most of your nutrients. He said he would prefer mixing cheese into the diet for more salt. So on that sort of diet would it be fine to use pink salt.

Also there’s something called redmonds real salt or something but that also has pink and red colors in it.

bookshelf

It seems like every salt has something wrong with it. Has anyone found the (no such thing as) "perfect" salt?

Mossy

It seems like every salt has something wrong with it. Has anyone found the (no such thing as) "perfect" salt?
Maybe I don't understand the question, and I assume by now you've run across this on RPF, but the bare-bones ("perfect"?) salt recommended by Peat is canning salt:
1689757837647.png

bookshelf

Maybe I don't understand the question, and I assume by now you've run across this on RPF, but the bare-bones ("perfect"?) salt recommended by Peat is canning salt:
View attachment 53111
No, you understood it and yes, I am very familiar with RP and this forum. In sifting through posts, articles, literature, etc., it just seems as though every salt has an issue. For instance, this site doesn't rate pickling salt very high: How much Lead is in salt? Which salt is safest to use for cooking? Is Himalayan salt safe?. I think everything (not just salt) is contaminated (no drama intended, just facts) but trying to find one (a source) that is from a relatively clean source and accountably reliable is a lot harder than it looks.

Dr. B

No, you understood it and yes, I am very familiar with RP and this forum. In sifting through posts, articles, literature, etc., it just seems as though every salt has an issue. For instance, this site doesn't rate pickling salt very high: How much Lead is in salt? Which salt is safest to use for cooking? Is Himalayan salt safe?. I think everything (not just salt) is contaminated (no drama intended, just facts) but trying to find one (a source) that is from a relatively clean source and accountably reliable is a lot harder than it looks.
The pink salt is advertised as uncontaminated, deep in the ground, millions of years old etc. does it have any issues besides the iron content? Also there are shades of the himalayan pink salt, some of them are very whitish pink in color and some are darker pinks

Mossy

Dare I say, I would take a single anti-pickling salt perspective with a grain of salt. But, if accurate, that is an obvious concern.

sunny

Here are two Peat clips giving his opinion of Himalayan and Celtic salt. Type Himalayan salt in the search on the link.

sunny

Dr. B

The celtic salt being high in heavy metals etc is because of the ocean contamination, for the same reason seafood and oysters may not be so safe now. It still seems like pink salt either himalayan or the redmonds pink salt are the safest. The white processed salts can have fillers and things added to them anyway.

Dr. B

The pink salts are supposedly contaminated by nature, everything else like the sea salts are contaminating by man.

bookshelf

The celtic salt being high in heavy metals etc is because of the ocean contamination, for the same reason seafood and oysters may not be so safe now. It still seems like pink salt either himalayan or the redmonds pink salt are the safest. The white processed salts can have fillers and things added to them anyway.

Not to be a debbie-downer but honest to pete, what ISN'T contaminated anymore? Seriously. Every-stinking-thing...the water, air, soil, food, "medicine", supplements, nothing is off limits anymore.

Sorry, just so done trying to find the "perfect" anything.

peter88

This woman tests everything for Lead.

She tested Morton’s Canning and Pickling salt. It’s Not safe. I’m certain the negative effects people are getting form salt is due to how contaminated it is with heavy metals

1. Morton Table/Pickling Salt: <2,000 ppb

At this point I don’t know what kind of salt to use. All sea salts cause me issues whether it’s from metals or my shellfish allergy. Mortons on the other hand seems to be high in lead yet Peat recommends it.

peter88

I would listen to Hal Huggins starting at 36:00 about Morton's Pickling Salt vs Sea Salt. I didn't find any reputable source to show that Morton's Pickling Salt has the contamination mentioned here. Also she says they didn't respond to her inquiry.

What do you think of this? https://www.copecompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Morton-Cullinox-Sell-Sheet.pdf

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals