Protein deficiency

iLoveSugar

Has anyone dealt with protein deficiency? What are some common symptoms of chronic deficiency?

Curt :-)

Yup, big time.
I used to be a major cardio junkie. That, in combination with a low protein, diet ruined me. I stopped doing cardio at about age 20. I'm 26 now and still trying to recover.
The symptoms are analogous with the symptoms of hypothyroidism and high serotonin etc; non existent libido, absolutely no ability to focus on a task (seriously embarrassing at work), high energy but crappy sleep (high stress hormones), no appetite but craving food for stimulation, massive cravings for salt, apathy, disinterest, no motivation.
Two things that never happened to me, even at my worst point; depression and weight gain. I guess I was lucky on that front.
Dr Peat has saved my life :):

I don't really count but probably around 100 or so grams. I probably should have a little more.
Another major turning point for me was piling on the salt and stopping drinking all that water. As soon as I changed that, I slept through the night for the first time in years. And that's when I was like "Ok, this Peat guy is interesting" :):

OP
I

iLoveSugar

So if I am only getting between 30 and 70 g a day, could that be a big-time problem for me?

I believe so. That's really not that much. I think malnourished people need even more.

It's a pain trying to get lots of protein from milk and cheese so I use a scoop of whey with salt two to three times a day. The big man has recommending against whey, opting for fresh milk or cheese, but I'm having great results. I know plenty of peeps that are doing very well on meat only protein sources, so I think adequate protein is far more important than being fussy with the source.
My 2 cents

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I agree with curt. I personally do best with about 100 grams protein daily but I'm recovering from previously being malnourished. I had a hard time tolerating many foods for a while but just kept trying my best. No matter how you slice it we have to eat well to heal in my experience.

@bingding, sorry! I did reply but I just noticed it didn't go through.

I wouldn't recommend salty water. I don't think hypo people need much water, if any, if you drink milk and juice. I always put salt in milk and juice, and pile it on solids. Meats, eggs and rice are good carriers, taste-wise.

BingDing

Thanks, Curt. I think I need more solid food, a little salt in juice is OK but it's not enough. Been using raw eggs in my orange julius; fried eggs and potatoes with salt sounds pretty good.

I did make one minor advance. Eating potato chips cooked in olive oil I realized I could dump a tablespoon of salt into the bag. As a side snack with sugared milk or a yoghurt smoothie should be a decent balance of macros, I suppose.

You'll know when you go too far the other way with the liquid-salt ratio; you'll get thirsty. I hadn't been thirsty in YEARS until I started doing this. It was like "Ohhh, THIS is what thirst feels like- I remember this!" haha! xx

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals