Magnesium deficiency?

Curt :-)

I don't really know. Back in the day, high cortisol, poor sleep etc, were typically indicative of a mag deficiency. But I know know that it's more complicated than that.
Peat has said that sodium, potassium and magnesium are all interchangeable to some extent. Salt definately allows me to sleep better, and keeps me warmer in general too.

SQu

Muscle tics and cramps too I think. Moods. My dad finds it good for state of mind. My eyelid twitches. My RP notes say you can't hold onto it without t3. There's a nice mag bicarb recipe here. Relaxing.

LucyL

During pregnancy, I would get a lot of leg cramps at night. They disappeared when I supplemented magnesium. The obgyn said to increase calcium, but calcium supplements did not help. (This was pre-Peat, I didn't drink a lot of milk back then, just ate a lot of yoghurt). Generally, when my legs start to feel twitchy or restless, magnesium supps normalize them.

Also, fwiw, my massage therapist says tight muscles can be an indication of magnesium deficiency, but even when taking magnesium to bowel tolerance (and with no leg symptoms), my shoulder muscles are still tight, so I don't think that is the problem.

My calf often cramps up on "cold" days. Tried those chelated supplements but they did nothing. I've read a case report where only the oxide worked, basically saved someone's life. This is all contrary to popular belief.

G

gummybear

Hypothyroid people are usually magnesium deficient, and magnesium can also work very well as a surrogate for thyroid. I like using magnesium carbonate - just don't take to much or you will spray paint the toilet.

narouz

Peat said "magnesium carbonate is sometimes helpful."

It's hard to find.
Seems like when I tried to search Amazon for it
it kept turning up gymnasts' chalk. :lol:

That's interesting about the oxide form, Such.
I believe it is supposed to have the most laxative effect.

tara

narouz said:
Peat said "magnesium carbonate is sometimes helpful."

It's hard to find.
Seems like when I tried to search Amazon for it
it kept turning up gymnasts' chalk. :lol:
I got magnesium carbonate and magnesium glycinate powders from purebulk. Any reason not to use theirs?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Magnesium carbonate as in the recipe a lot of people use (milk of mag + seltzer water)?

Stilgar

Leg cramps and an odd feeling in my digestion. Extra calcium seems to make it worse.
Magnesium and plenty of sugar sort it out relatively quickly.

SQu

Yes but I think it's called magnesium bicarbonate. It's become a staple for me.

narouz

sueq said:
Yes but I think it's called magnesium bicarbonate. It's become a staple for me.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that naming too, sueq.
But it does seem to stick in my head that Peat said
"carbonate."
I could be wrong.

I wish I could provide a citation,
but I've been cycling through 4 or 5 interviews with Peat lately.
I don't remember which one I heard him mention "the carbonate form"
or "magnesium carbonate"....

SQu

Apologies. In my layperson's unscientific mind, carbonate is associated with ineffective supps like calcium carbonate - in a compressed tablet I don't think I was able to use it at all, and I think it's something similar to limestone ; versus bicarbonate which I associate with some fizz, as in bicarb of soda. Easier to digest.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals