POTS! (but Not Pans. )

OP
E

Emstar1892

Not sure if you are splitting this, but maybe see whether limiting to no more than 100mg at a time (with meals) makes a difference? High doses can be a bit hard on some of us (others handle lots of it fine, so its not a definite).

I'm not splitting it Tara, no. I will give that a go, thank you.

tara

I WANT to test vitamin D, calcium, progesterone, ferritin, ACTH, prolactin, I could go on........its £100 a pop. Even if I saved up for one test per month it would be pointless as the comparisons would be out of date with each other. Fighting blind!
If you have symptoms suggesting estrogen dominance, ...
With progesterone, you could consider getting some an testing by experimenting - just try some for a few days and see if it seems to do you good (eg 5x10mg for a week or two), then base your decision about whether to increase, decrease or stop it based on your response.

IIU Peat, blood testing isn't necessarily going to tell you what your effective estrogen: progesterone ratio is, because estrogen can in some circumstances hang out in tissues, rather than circulate where blood tests will pick it up. The circumstances where experimenting could cause trouble, that I'm aware of, include in the presence of a goiter - may allow lots of thyroid to be released at once (causing a temporary storm), or if sodium levels are too low ( can increase sodium excretion).

Last edited:
OP
E

Emstar1892

If you have symptoms suggesting estrogen dominance, ...
With progesterone, you could consider getting some an testing by experimenting - just try some for a few days and see if it seems to do you good (eg 5x10mg for a week or two), then base your decision about whether to increase, decrease or stop it based on your response.

IIU Peat, blood testing isn't necessarily going to tell you what your effective estrogen:progesterone ratio is, because estrogen can in some circumstances hang out in tissues, rather than circulate where blood tests will pick it up. The circumstances where experimenting could cause trouble, that I'm aware of, include in the presence of a goiter - may allow lots of thyroid to be released at once (causing a temporary storm), or if sodium levels are too low ( can increase sodium excretion).

Forgot to say I'm also daily carroting!

Thank you for you explanation. I'm not getting symptoms of estrogen dominance per se, but I'd just like to see what my blood has to say really. Of course, quality of life definitely trumps labs in the end :) ticking all the boxes isn't thriving is it!

Interactome

I had some strange reactions that included thirst and swollen veins and dizziness. I have high renin that I don't know how to fix. It does mess up ones life.

Did you take aspirin?

Maybe you could try a lab in a different country that is cheaper.

Last edited:

Jennifer

The body can only take so much and i pushed and pushed through the stress when I should have been taking care of myself better.
Me too, Janelle. :( I was under a lot of stress with trying to start my own business, taking care of a grandmother with Alzheimer's and hiking in some extreme conditions every weekend. It took getting down to 8o or 85 pounds before I finally stopped hiking. I understand my motivation for hiking at that time, but I'm paying the price for it now.

Jennifer

Only time I had trouble with feeling faint was in my twenties, which I eventually associated with hypoglycemia.
The fainting episodes were around the same time I was on the Minocycline and getting those frequent headaches so I wouldn't be surprised if they were related to a drop in sugars. Despite taking in lots of carbs, I found that the Mino was causing my sugars to crash.

OP
E

Emstar1892

I had some strange reactions that included thirst and swollen veins and dizziness. I have high renin that I don't know how to fix. It does mess up ones life.

Did you take aspirin?

Maybe you could try a lab in a different country that is cheaper.

Hmm. Thanks for your input, sorry for what you've been going through!

I have taken my first aspirin today! What are your thoughts on that? They have terrible additives around here though, I need a purer source.

With regard to the labs, yes that's an idea, the problem is I need to know about a thousand things!

OP
E

Emstar1892

The fainting episodes were around the same time I was on the Minocycline and getting those frequent headaches so I wouldn't be surprised if they were related to a drop in sugars. Despite taking in lots of carbs, I found that the Mino was causing my sugars to crash.

Is that a common side effect? I would have thought that antibiotics would help, not hinder poor glycemic control? Unless you were severely infected and that was the real cause of the fainting? Poor you!

Jennifer

Yes I can relate to you, I always had FREEZING extremities as a child. My mother would call me icicle! But now I don't have that, which is weird because my health has evidently declined...

Have you started taking any of those herbs? Which ones are you considering? It's complicated with the adrenal herbs as those that are "pro" adrenals are often "anti," as they just push the glands that are already failing :( the same goes for our intolerance to isolated thyroid supps, in my opinion. Absolute minefield.

I hate the idea of HC, but in the end we're all one giant clinical trial until science is conclusive! I'll tailor my protocol for another month, then I will seriously consider it - as a temporary support, mind.
Yeah, I'm annoyingly sensitive to any isolated supplement. The herbs are the only supplements that don't cause me negative side effects. The ones I'm taking aren't suppose to stimulate the adrenals but rather, help to strengthen and regenerate them. Though, a switch in diet made the biggest impact on me so far, I feel the herbs have help speed up the healing process. After taking the endocrine formula for a couple weeks, my temps reached 99 degrees and my kidneys finally started to filter consistently.

I personally will only use the herbs/herbal formulas that Dr. Robert Morse recommends because his work is inline with Ray's work in many ways, particularly with estrogen, and since I only have a short list of herbs that Ray has either recommended to me or in interviews, by sticking with Dr. Morse's recommendations I can hopefully avoid too many estrogenic herbs.

Jennifer

Is that a common side effect? I would have thought that antibiotics would help, not hinder poor glycemic control? Unless you were severely infected and that was the real cause of the fainting? Poor you!
Yeah, I've read it's a common side effect. A member on here had even recommended I have some food when I take it but even that didn't prevent it. Knowing what I now know about antibiotics, I can see why it caused me all the problems it had.

OP
E

Emstar1892

Yeah, I'm annoyingly sensitive to any isolated supplement. The herbs are the only supplements that don't cause me negative side effects. The ones I'm taking aren't suppose to stimulate the adrenals but rather, help to strengthen and regenerate them. Though, a switch in diet made the biggest impact on me so far, I feel the herbs have help speed up the healing process. After taking the endocrine formula for a couple weeks, my temps reached 99 degrees and my kidneys finally started to filter consistently.

I personally will only use the herbs/herbal formulas that Dr. Robert Morse recommends because his work is inline with Ray's work in many ways, particularly with estrogen, and since I only have a short list of herbs that Ray has either recommended to me or in interviews, by sticking with Dr. Morse's recommendations I can hopefully avoid too many estrogenic herbs.

Thanks for that recommendation, I'm looking at it now. Interestingly a lot of the ingredients there are fillers in my other supplements.

May I ask what dietary changes you've found effective, exactly?

Interactome

Hmm. Thanks for your input, sorry for what you've been going through!

I have taken my first aspirin today! What are your thoughts on that? They have terrible additives around here though, I need a purer source.

With regard to the labs, yes that's an idea, the problem is I need to know about a thousand things!

You can check bioclinica.ro or synevo.ro, the first is cheaper.

In my case, aspirin made everything worse after a while. I didn't take much. A few weeks on a baby aspirin. I started bruising easily so I stopped. I also took other supplements including K2. My blood pressure fell then increased then went all over the place for a while and my veins started bulging the places where they were under pressure.

I haven't heard of anyone else having the same reaction around here, so I cannot really say. Either my liver isn't good at handling it or I have some strange SNPs/mutations that make it bad for me. I also cannot tolerate B6 and Niacin and vitamin C, I found out very painfully.

All I can say is that some people might have issues with some supplements due to latent infections/inflammation/toxins or genetics.

Jennifer

Thanks for that recommendation, I'm looking at it now. Interestingly a lot of the ingredients there are fillers in my other supplements.

May I ask what dietary changes you've found effective, exactly?
Sorry Emstar, do you mean the herbs used in Dr. Morse's formulas are herbs used in your supplements as fillers? And do you experience any negative side effects from them?

I find low protein/high fruit sugar works best for me so I eat a mostly raw, high fruit diet supplemented with tender baby lettuces and well cooked, low starch fruit with fresh herbs when I crave something savory. Right now I'm on a zucchini with dill kick. When I want some kind of dessert, my go to is "nice cream." I keep vanilla infused coconut cream in covered silicone ice cube trays in the freezer so I can just pull out a few cubes, throw them in the vitamix with some frozen fruit like mangoes or strawberries, and blend it into a soft serve.

On this diet, I finally got my cycle without the use of hormone supplementation. I'm only 35, but I hadn't been able to produce a regular cycle on my own before this diet. When I first started menstruating, I had a period once a year or less and by the time I hit my twenties, my period disappeared completely. Ultrasounds taken over the years showed a perfectly healthy uterus and ovaries so my doctors thought my lack of period was a non-issue. Oy! :facepalm: Bless their hearts! :rolleyes:

BibleBeliever

I'm sorry you've had to go through that, how horrible. Did you ever find out the underlying cause?

My blood pressure is 90 over 50-something, and that's when sitting!

Salt helps for sure :) I haven't tried pregnenolone because I don't want there to be any chance of increasing hormones that are already overshooting, especially at night, but if I get stronger I'll trial into it as so many people respond so positively. Progesterone I haven't tried either, I need to test mine first :) I wish tests were free!

I don't eat liver because I work horrendous hours and eat in central London 3 times a day (mainly meat, fruit and coconut yoghurt), wouldn't trust fast food liver haha.

My supplements are niacinimide (500), vitamin A (5000), vitamin D (2000), k2 (super K), glycine (2.5-3), calcium:magnesium (1:2), coq10 (30). Taking enzymes with meals has really helped too.

When did you start taking supplements, before or after diagnosis?

How much salt would you estimate you consume daily?

OP
E

Emstar1892

Sorry Emstar, do you mean the herbs used in Dr. Morse's formulas are herbs used in your supplements as fillers? And do you experience any negative side effects from them?

I find low protein/high fruit sugar works best for me so I eat a mostly raw, high fruit diet supplemented with tender baby lettuces and well cooked, low starch fruit with fresh herbs when I crave something savory. Right now I'm on a zucchini with dill kick. When I want some kind of dessert, my go to is "nice cream." I keep vanilla infused coconut cream in covered silicone ice cube trays in the freezer so I can just pull out a few cubes, throw them in the vitamix with some frozen fruit like mangoes or strawberries, and blend it into a soft serve.

On this diet, I finally got my cycle without the use of hormone supplementation. I'm only 35, but I hadn't been able to produce a regular cycle on my own before this diet. When I first started menstruating, I had a period once a year or less and by the time I hit my twenties, my period disappeared completely. Ultrasounds taken over the years showed a perfectly healthy uterus and ovaries so my doctors thought my lack of period was a non-issue. Oy! :facepalm: Bless their hearts! :rolleyes:

Yes, so some of my supplements have wild yam root, parsley, saw palmetto, dandelion and rhodiola! I couldn't say whether these have any effect, I wouldn't know which substance to attribute any of my symptoms to. To be honest as I'm not improving I doubt any of them work for my body, at least in a significant enough way.

That's interesting, I think i'm the exact opposite! Because my adrenals are so shot I get hypoglycemic easily, so low protein high fruit is killer - I crash sooo hard. Easiest for me is pretty much 30/40/30 ratio for F/C/P

Congratulations on getting your cycle :)

OP
E

Emstar1892

When did you start taking supplements, before or after diagnosis?

How much salt would you estimate you consume daily?

Hello Jack Hamma thanks for replying!

I've been taking the vast majority of what I've listed for around 4 weeks, which is when I got diagnosed. K2, vit D and glycine I've been taking for around 6 months.

I sprinkle salt on my food whenever I remember to, which is probably about a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half added a day?

marteagal

My supplements are niacinimide (500), vitamin A (5000), vitamin D (2000), k2 (super K), glycine (2.5-3), calcium:magnesium (1:2), coq10 (30). Taking enzymes with meals has really helped too.

I remember transcribing the following from Peat:
Ray Peat said:
Well, I know several people who use around 15 mg [vitamin K] per day. One person who had a chronic steady blood pressure of 220 over 70 − a tremendous gap between the top and the bottom numbers − in two or three weeks was down to 140 over 70. One person who was taking a drug to prevent hypertension started on similar doses and within a couple of weeks his blood pressure was getting too low so he had to stop his drug.

Might this contribute to your low blood pressure?
I'm not familiar with super K. How much vitamin K2 does it contain?

OP
E

Emstar1892

I'm not sure if you are concerned about the wild yam root or if wild yam is different from wild yam root but it looks like it's a phytoestrogen.
My Very Positive Experience And How I Did It

Hmm thanks for the heads up! I mean it's such a tiny amount, I think they just add those things to the capsules to make them seem "natural" and "superfoody." I won't hold my breath just yet, but when the bottle runs out I'll switch to something else :)

OP
E

Emstar1892

I remember transcribing the following from Peat:

Might this contribute to your low blood pressure?
I'm not familiar with super K. How much vitamin K2 does it contain?

Hey you, thanks for replying.

That's possible, yes, however the first time I was diagnosed with Bradychardia and hypotension (they occured together almost overnight) was in 2010, so I'd guess the root causes are much more severe than K2 excess.

The Life Extension Super K is:

k1 (phytonadione) 1000mcg
k2 (menaquinone-4) 1000mcg
k2 (menaquinone-7) 200mcg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals