Potassium Deficiency Makes Testosterone Plummet. Re-supplementation Restores It (rodent)

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Ok i thought 10 g of potassium. But I still think it’s high...
do you really feel a difference from taking it? How?
And if so - sure you won’t feel the same from less?

I’m personally mainly use it to prevent muscle cramping and spare nitrogen loss from a high protein diet. So, the only thing I feel from it is the lack of muscle cramps after hard workouts.

Potassium is great for blood pressure and vascular health in general, so that’s another reason why I take it. I also take vitamin D, for example, and feel nothing from it, but I know it is good for me to take to prevent deficiency when I can’t get sun.

Could I lower it and still not have cramping? Maybe, idk. I like this dose for now. You can definitely use less if you like.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Hgreen56

This is true. Which is why I said I do 10 g of K bicarbonate split into 3 servings, which is not “high dose”. This is total less than the RDA for potassium and has been used in multiple human studies without incidence.
whats your diet looks like?
If i eat 100 gr liver, some apples, 200 gr fish and 1 carrot i already have 4 grams potassium.
And then i am not counting oj and milk with it.
do you count your micronutrions? big change you have got already enough potassium from whole foods and is supplementing 10 grams bicabonate overkill.

RDA is 4.5 grams a day
Not sure what upper limit is but its very dangerous supplementing potassium long term.
Cardiac arrest due to oral potassium intake. - PubMed - NCBI
Hyperkalemia due to Salt Substitutes

Last edited:
OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

whats your diet looks like?
If i eat 100 gr liver, some apples, 200 gr fish and 1 carrot i already have 4 grams potassium.
And then i am not counting oj and milk with it.
do you count your micronutrions? big change you have got already enough potassium from whole foods and is supplementing 10 grams bicabonate overkill.

RDA is 4.5 grams a day
Not sure what upper limit is but its very dangerous supplementing potassium long term.
Cardiac arrest due to oral potassium intake. - PubMed - NCBI
Hyperkalemia due to Salt Substitutes

In my diet, I can easily get 4-5 g of potassium a day as well. I also have a high salt intake, so the Na:K is more balanced than if I was supplementing only potassium.

I have been supplementing with K bicarb for a while now without issue. If you don’t feel comfortable supplementing with potassium, I am not here to “convert” you lol.

Jib

I have potassium chloride and potassium citrate. Never tried bicarbonate.

It does seem supplementation is important. Even if the studies use potassium bicarbonate, I find it hard to believe that potassium chloride or potassium citrate wouldn't help in correcting a potassium deficiency. Maybe I'm biased because that's what I have on hand, but I'm gonna start taking them again. Not sure what the difference between chloride and citrate would be, biologically. Not opposed to trying bicarbonate, but for now I'll work with what I have.

4.7 grams of potassium a day. Tall order for most people. I have found however that recklessly supplementing potassium very easily makes me crash and feel faint. Personally I've been having around 500mg at a time and seeing how I respond. Times I've had a gram or more at once I'd feel like I was going to pass out.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

I have potassium chloride and potassium citrate. Never tried bicarbonate.

It does seem supplementation is important. Even if the studies use potassium bicarbonate, I find it hard to believe that potassium chloride or potassium citrate wouldn't help in correcting a potassium deficiency. Maybe I'm biased because that's what I have on hand, but I'm gonna start taking them again. Not sure what the difference between chloride and citrate would be, biologically. Not opposed to trying bicarbonate, but for now I'll work with what I have.

4.7 grams of potassium a day. Tall order for most people. I have found however that recklessly supplementing potassium very easily makes me crash and feel faint. Personally I've been having around 500mg at a time and seeing how I respond. Times I've had a gram or more at once I'd feel like I was going to pass out.

The main difference is that with bicarb, you get pronounced alkalinization along with CO2 benefits, citrate you still get some alkalinization but not as much, and I believe chloride is actually acidic.

zanolachino

I drink magnesium bicarbonate water daily. Since I respond very well to taurine and could always use more potassium, I would like to try adding @zarrin77's KHCO3+taurine water to my regimen. I don't need more liquid, though. Is there any reason why a combination of all of these -- potassium magnesium taurine bicarbonate water -- is a bad idea?

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

I drink magnesium bicarbonate water daily. Since I respond very well to taurine and could always use more potassium, I would like to try adding @zarrin77's KHCO3+taurine water to my regimen. I don't need more liquid, though. Is there any reason why a combination of all of these -- potassium magnesium taurine bicarbonate water -- is a bad idea?

Not that I can think of.

Cloudhands

I usually will have 3 glasses a day to get aroun 8-10g of k bicarb. I don’t always get there though, some days its 4-5g.

I mix it with sodium bicarb before exercise, as I’ve read too much isolated potassium before strenuous exercise isn’t a good idea. I think it’s fine to mix them whenever though.

Before taking k bicarb, I was prone to cramping hours after lifting (esp in biceps and sometimes my thumb lol). That doesn’t happen anymore. I’m generally very healthy so haven’t had any other benefits, but I trust the reasearch.

I also eat a high protein diet, so it can help reduce nitrogen excretion possibly, which is another reason why I use it (along with baking soda).
How much protein is considered high protein? I may need to supplement with potassium bicarb

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

How much protein is considered high protein? I may need to supplement with potassium bicarb

Not sure cuz it seems that it's the protein to carb ratio that matters for this.

belcanto

The main difference is that with bicarb, you get pronounced alkalinization along with CO2 benefits, citrate you still get some alkalinization but not as much, and I believe chloride is actually acidic.
Hi Zarrin77,

I've read through this thread and the PDF you posted and I don't see a "recipe" for the K water, although I can see that the recipe can change, depending on need or tolerance. Could you please post amounts to start off with? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 5487

I dropped the sodium bicarbonate and moved to Potassium/Magnesium citrate.

This combo is extremely powerful and alkalizing, you have to taking small doses.

Citrate converts to Bicarbonate which buffers the acids from protein metabolism or lactic acid from exercise. Pretty much all the acids.

The Potassium and Magnesium alkaline at the cellular level and the mitochondria actually start working again. Your face turns blush red and your eyes "open up" it like revives that youthful glow seen in people below the age of 21.

Melcalin MgK is a food supplement to dissolve in water made of magnesium and potassium in which the ratio of magnesium and potassium (1:4,8) was evaluated by measuring instrumentally (BIA-ACC BioTekna /in vivo neutron activation method IVANA / measure of K40) the recovery of the values of total potassium and of extracellular potassium on a sample of subjects with electrolyte disorders, medically unexplained symptoms (MUS) and related conditions.
Magnesium is essential for the production of energy, the maintenance of electrolyte balance, for a correct neuromuscular function as well as for the homeostasis of calcium and potassium 1,2,3,4,5,6: a magnesium deficiency is linked to a deficiency of potassium and calcium; therefore, its integration is also useful for healthy bones and teeth. Potassium intervenes in nerve transmission, in the regulation of the electrolyte balance, in the control of muscle contractility and arterial pressure7,8,9.
It is therefore easy to notice the benefits of a combined supplementation of the two ions to all excitable tissues of the body (muscular, cardiovascular, nervous, gastrointestinal )10,11,12,13,14,15."

I made my own but this would probably be better

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals