Perplexed: Proxies and VPN's are strictly prohibited!

LarryinBangkok

Forum Supporter
I am perplexed by this:

Proxies and VPN's are strictly prohibited!

So bold.
On every page here.
Why?

I am a retired computer system manager, so I know a bit about proxies and VPN's.
Why would "prohibit" on a forum like this, I have no idea.

Will someone please explain to me?
Thank you.

bagotage

Don't much matter since they don't seem to have actually done anything to prevent their use

OP
L

LarryinBangkok

Forum Supporter
Don't much matter since they don't seem to have actually done anything to prevent their use

No, @bagotage , that doesn't answer the question of "why?"

To make such a bold prohibition, must be a reason.
For a forum on these topics, I can't imagine what that reason could be.
Do you know?

Oleg

No, @bagotage , that doesn't answer the question of "why?"

To make such a bold prohibition, must be a reason.
For a forum on these topics, I can't imagine what that reason could be.
Do you know?
This VPN rule sounds pretty authoritarian to me, especially on this site. Very sus

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
There are nefarious actors who are trying to subvert and cause disruption on the forum because of the incredible and humanity changing work being done here. Hence, the VPN and proxy ban.

Soren

Forum Supporter
But how do you know when someone is using a VPN?

you don't know. Only if they are using a "public" VPN. Most companies (including my companies) use VPNs and require their use, but they are company VPNs and not public ones.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
you don't know. Only if they are using a "public" VPN. Most companies (including my companies) use VPNs and require their use, but they are company VPNs and not public ones.
It's easy to tell who is using a VPN whether public or not. The warning is more for the nefarious actors. I know some are not able to get here unless on VPN, if they are not causing trouble they will not have a problem.

It's easy to tell who is using a VPN whether public or not. The warning is more for the nefarious actors. I know some are not able to get here unless on VPN, if they are not causing trouble they will not have a problem.
that makes perfect sense, thanks @charlie

Oleg

I didn't know that VPN could be used to cause harm. I hope you can keep this site going. Thank you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals