Please Explain Coffee And Natto. These Are Made Out Of Beans

manboadriano

Hi. I am new to this forum but I have thought about ray peat diet for some time and actually tried it already in the past. Please clarify these two points for me. 1. Coffee How Is it that coffee which is a bean, and peat is against beans, is considered to be good to drink every day? 2. Natto. This is reach in vit K, which is supposed to be good according to peat, right? But then again this is soy and it’s a bean, which is said to be bad, right? To me these look like contradictions, could someone please explain for me?

Spokey

Coffee is processed in a way that means you don't consume the whole bean but an extract. Perhaps if you were to eat whole raw coffee beans whole there would be unpleasant consequences for you.

I eat natto occasionally, but the amounts are so small and infrequent it doesn't seem worth worrying about. The natto I get is also organic and non gmo. Natto certainly doesn't give me the problems that un-fermented regular soy does.

nikotrope

I don't think Ray Peat would be for natto. It's fermented and contains PUFA. The fermentation decreases negative effects of soy though. You are safer with a vit. k supplement.

tara

I think Peat has expressed concern about the health consequences of eating beans as a major dietary staple. Not a few grams or an ounce or so a day?

nikotrope

20g natto = 1.2g PUFA. I think it's the typical serving in Japan. Add a cup of miso soup to it and you have 2.6g PUFA. I would say an ounce of soybean is already too much. You would need 1 quart of 3.7% milk to get as much PUFA as 20g of natto. I don't think it is worth it if someone wants to restrict PUFA.

you

tara said:
I think Peat has expressed concern about the health consequences of eating beans as a major dietary staple. Not a few grams or an ounce or so a day?

KMUD calcium and phosphate metabolism, he talks about legume consumption here

15:30

Sarah: How much meat would be the maximum amount you want to eat per day or whole grains, legumes, beans?
Peat: Probably something like half a pound (225 grams in total of whole grains+legumes+meat) would be tolerable
Sarah: If you wanted to put some eggs and cheese in there, maybe a little less than half a pound
Peat: Yea to displace one phosphate source for another

Coffee certainly isn't a problem, at all.

nikotrope

Intestinal inflammation is often behind recurrent tooth infectons, and a daily raw carrot can make a big difference (along with avoiding legumes, undercooked starches and raw or undercooked vegetables).

In the context of inflammation, he says to avoid it. In the interview he talks about the phosphate content only.

you

nikotrope said:
Intestinal inflammation is often behind recurrent tooth infectons, and a daily raw carrot can make a big difference (along with avoiding legumes, undercooked starches and raw or undercooked vegetables).

In the context of inflammation, he says to avoid it. In the interview he talks about the phosphate content only.

:roll:

Yes, we all know, he isn't in favor of them but come on, worrying about coffee... really? When Peat drinks coffee himself?

nikotrope

I was just commenting on natto and legumes. Of course coffee is fine, it's like vegetable broth :)

SQu

The beans that are a problem are legumes. Coffee is not a legume.

OP
M

manboadriano

nikotrope said:
I don't think Ray Peat would be for natto. It's fermented and contains PUFA. The fermentation decreases negative effects of soy though. You are safer with a vit. k supplement.

Hi. So according to you the vitamin k content of natto is not enough to offset the negative effects it also has at the same time because it is made out of soy and a legume? so better not to eat it to begin with? Please confirm if this is your idea. thanks!

nikotrope

manboadriano said:
nikotrope said:

Hi. So according to you the vitamin k content of natto is not enough to offset the negative effects it also has at the same time because it is made out of soy and a legume? so better not to eat it to begin with? Please confirm if this is your idea. thanks!

Yes it is my idea.

SQu

Peas, green beans, broad beans and all the beans you buy tinned or dried like kidney beans , speckled beans, soy beans. I'm not sure about chickpeas but I think them too .

OP
M

manboadriano

sueq said:
Peas, green beans, broad beans and all the beans you buy tinned or dried like kidney beans , speckled beans, soy beans. I'm not sure about chickpeas but I think them too .

thank you for your replay

OP
M

manboadriano

nikotrope said:
20g natto = 1.2g PUFA. I think it's the typical serving in Japan. Add a cup of miso soup to it and you have 2.6g PUFA. I would say an ounce of soybean is already too much. You would need 1 quart of 3.7% milk to get as much PUFA as 20g of natto. I don't think it is worth it if someone wants to restrict PUFA.

Hi. Where can i find those values you mention like 20g natto = 1.2g pufa? Is there any online resource that has such guidelines for pufas in foods?

tara

sueq said:

And lentils, I think.

Spokey

If you ate natto every day PUFA might be something to worry about. I'm pretty 'peaty' these days but I eat natto maybe once a week or fortnight. My wife is Japanese and she eats natto more than me but not by much.

I'm not sure how much I trust k2 supplements.

tara

manboadriano said:
Hi. Where can i find those values you mention like 20g natto = 1.2g pufa? Is there any online resource that has such guidelines for pufas in foods?

They may not cover everything, but the two I know of are cronometer [dot] com and
nutritiondata [dot] self [dot] com.
Useful for assessing lots of other nutrients too.

OP
M

manboadriano

tara said:
manboadriano said:

They may not cover everything, but the two I know of are cronometer [dot] com and
nutritiondata [dot] self [dot] com.
Useful for assessing lots of other nutrients too.

Thank you!