Peat Safe Cookware?

benni

I'm still looking into it. Hoping that an enameled cast iron skillet will do the trick but for now I am using my stainless set from Sur La Table, and it's working just fine. Just remember to cook on low-medium heat, not medium or high like we all got used to doing with aluminum/teflon, and to oil the pan when you put it on the burner - not when it's cold, but just as it's warming up.
If you wait to oil it after the pan is hot, you'll have trouble with sticking.
Also, you want to pre-heat the pan well on that low and medium heat.
To prevent stainless from getting scratches, which also causes sticking, try to use only non metallic utensils.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I will give that technique a shot tomorrow then. I have been using the one described in the video I posted earlier in this thread. Basically high heat.

benni

Greenpans

Oh, I did see the Greenpans, and I also researched them online. My impression is that people aren't liking them too much.
They looked really cheap and were on clearance at Walmart. Don't look as though they would work better than an enameled cast iron pan (also sold at Walmart -- Tramontina and Lodge brands). However, I might buy one if I ever need something for a particular purpose that I would consider disposable - like maybe something to take to a cabin or while traveling on vacation.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh I have seen them at Walmart, and they are at CVS on sale right now for $20.

nwo2012

Charlie said:
Benni, welcome to the forum!

Thats a great list, thank you!

I need something to fry eggs in. What do you guys and gals think of these "green pans"?

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/orgree ... __&adtype={adtype}&Kpid=prod6090562&sst=410fedeb-ea4f-3409-52ab-00004140332c&SL_ClientGroup=1

Very similar to the orgreenic pan I have. As long as plenty of coconut oil it works well for eggs. In fact if I put even more coconut oil in I have been able to successfully make pancakes (masa, eggs, milk and milk powder) without too much sticking.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am thinking of giving it a shot. Just wondering how safe they are.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Cool, thanks! :ugeek:

peatarian

nwo2012 said:
Charlie said:
I am thinking of giving it a shot. Just wondering how safe they are.

The ceramic is lead-free melted glass so I think pretty safe.

I have some ceramic pots and pans, too and they were really expensive but the sticking is awful even with coconut oil. Since they are white you can still see some brown spots even after lots of scrubbing. I don't really use them anymore. Are yours a special kind?

Yves

I went to a SaladMaster presentation where they were claiming their steel (316ti) was completely non-porous and that all other stainless steel would leach metals. One of the parts of the demonstration is that they boil a cup of water with a tablespoon of baking soda in their pans then try the same thing in other pans (stainless, cast-iron, corning) . The baking soda water boiled in their pans tastes like baking soda water while the baking soda water in the other pans tastes nasty and battery-like.

Anyway their pans were $4,000 for a 10 pc set, so not exactly cheap. I've been doing some research and it seems stainless steal pans will leach some amount of metals.. Have you guys tried this test with your pans? It would be interesting to get a survey to see which brands may be more prone to leaching metals.

Yves

Charlie said:
these are the set i have and that were recommended as peat friendly and this was the cheapest place I could find them online.

Farberware Millennium Tulip Shaped 10-Piece Set, Stainless
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042H ... B0042H8SJM

the kitchen magnet sticks to them inside and out i just tested it again. the quality is really good and i am extremely happy that i bought them.

Thanks Charlie! I think I will buy these, but when searching online I found conflicting info, some said they were 18/0 (0% nickel) stainless steel and others that it was 18/10 (10% nickel). Do you remember if the box specified which they were? Or if it's marked on the pans?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No I do not remember if I checked the box or not, and the box is gone now I think, but I will check around for it. I did check with the magnent and it passed the test like it was supposed to. I also just looked for markings on the pans and it does not have it either.

Yves

Ok thanks! Overstock and bed band and beyond say 18/0 so they're probably right. I've also read reviews that they corrode easily which would suggest they are nickel-free.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No corrosion here yet, but I do try to take decent care of them by not leaving them wet for long.

jyb

1) I like to make a large amount of coffee and store it in a bottle for the day. What bottle container would you use? It seems like nickel could leach from stainless steel, although maybe less from coffee http://www.debralynndadd.com/BlogRe...earchID=3356681&ObjectID=471530&ObjectType=55. I could use 18/0 stainless steel (no nickel), but iron leaches. I'm being careful because this is for storing a hot acidic liquid for hours, every day. Is the only option a glass bottle?

2) I replaced my aluminum stovetop coffee maker (mentioned as leaking high amounts of aluminum in RP's article on Iron) by the same version in stainless steel. It only seems to come in 18/10 stainless steel, so made with nickel. Should I avoid all stovetop coffee makers?

I could buy a larger electric coffee machine, but that's more sophisticated (loads of plastics) and I don't see why I wouldn't encounter the same problems.

This seems to leave coffee drip as the only safe way of making coffee...

Rachel

jyb said:
1) I like to make a large amount of coffee and store it in a bottle for the day. What bottle container would you use? It seems like nickel could leach from stainless steel, although maybe less from coffee http://www.debralynndadd.com/BlogRe...earchID=3356681&ObjectID=471530&ObjectType=55. I could use 18/0 stainless steel (no nickel), but iron leaches. I'm being careful because this is for storing a hot acidic liquid for hours, every day. Is the only option a glass bottle?

2) I replaced my aluminum stovetop coffee maker (mentioned as leaking high amounts of aluminum in RP's article on Iron) by the same version in stainless steel. It only seems to come in 18/10 stainless steel, so made with nickel. Should I avoid all stovetop coffee makers?

I could buy a larger electric coffee machine, but that's more sophisticated (loads of plastics) and I don't see why I wouldn't encounter the same problems.

This seems to leave coffee drip as the only safe way of making coffee...
Hi, jyb!

You could use a good old glass lined vacuum pump pot to keep your coffee warm all day. Here's one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Button- ... d_sim_kh_2

Really good options for really good coffee sans metal or bpa contamination are the french press or the Aerobie aeropress. With the french press, you have minimal contact with metal. The aerobie aeropress is made of bpa free plastiic.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerobie-AeroPre ... 498&sr=1-1
http://aerobie.com/Products/Details/Aer ... iption.htm

jyb

@Rachel: thanks, that's useful. For French press I assume that a few minutes of hot coffee contact (boiling, not steaming) with the stainless steel won't be enough to leach nickel.

For the thermos with glass liner, I'm guessing the main container inside is glass but what about the lid and pump system with which steam or coffee is in contact when it is poured out? Might be ok if that part is BPA-free plastic.

(How do you know that BPA-free plastic doesn't leach? There are loads of leaching plastics, BPA being just one of them, and I often read their replacement may not always leach less.)

Rachel

@jyb
When using a French press, the temperature of the water should be 90.5-96.1 degrees C (195-205 degrees F). You get it boiling and then let it cool off for about 30 seconds before you put it into the French press. Additionally, there should only be a few seconds of contact with the stainless steel, when you press it and pour it. So, the French press is probably the best bet.

Thermos brand claims to be bpa free. http://www.thermos.com/product_catalog. ... tCode=PUMP
jyb said:
(How do you know that BPA-free plastic doesn't leach? There are loads of leaching plastics, BPA being just one of them, and I often read their replacement may not always leach less.)
Arrrggh. We don't. :roll:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Need to find out the metal content on it, you are looking for 18/0.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals