Healthy pans?

rayban

Im trying to replace the regular nonsticky teflon pans with something better, I was considering this:

Amazon product ASIN B000Z2FZR6View: https://www.amazon.com/DeBuyer-Affinity-11-Inch-Frypan-Stainless/dp/B000Z2FZR6/ref=sr_1_16?crid=29AK1RVQYZATG

But then I read this:
I was bummed out to find that the stainless steel cookware I've been using (thinking it was pretty safe) is actually really bad; turns out that--according to Dr. Peat--there is magnetic stainless steel and then there is non-magnetic stainless steel. The non-magnetic is bad--worse than aluminum or iron.

From "Irons Dangers" by Peat
Iron's Dangers

"There are two main types of stainless steel, magnetic and nonmagnetic. The nonmagnetic form has a very high nickel content, and nickel is allergenic and carcinogenic. It is much more toxic than iron or aluminum. You can use a little "refrigerator magnet" to test your pans. The magnet will stick firmly to the safer type of pan."

Anybody have suggestions for brands of Magnetic (safe) stainless steel cookware?
Or other kinds of safe cookware?

I don't want to use iron cast because it's annoying to maintain and they look like trash after using it for a while. Another option I considered was this:

Amazon product ASIN B0851M22X9View: https://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Professional-Earth-Ceramic-11-Inch/dp/B0851M22X9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2QK1FSX8VUAD4

They claim this:

Achieves non-stick perfection without risk of exposure to GenX fluorinated chemicals, PFBS, bisphenols (BPS), APEO, PFOS, PFOA, and the lesser known chemicals NMP and NEP

Sounds good, but after a while im sure the surface will start deteriorating and you will start eating the material.

I also have my doubts about stainless steel. Like I posted above, the nickel stuff is a problem, but someone mentioned some kind of stainless steel is safe from this (which one?) but even then, I have my doubts since to use stainless steel you first need to heat the pan a lot to open the pores, then "fill" the pores with oil (not EVOO but some cheap oils like sunflower oil or corn oil since apparently they can take the heat needed to do this better than EVOO) then after applying the oil, you let it cool down for a minute so the stainless steel pores close and now you have this natural non-sticky product made of the oil you applied.

What im not sure is.. how health is this anyway? you replaced the telflon stuff for this. How healthy is to have this oil in there? and you aren't even supposed to clean it with soap, which is ridiculous since at micro level without soap you aren't properly cleaning the surface.

Im not sure what you are supposed to use to cook food in a healthy way. They more you learn the more problems are presented.

Fairykiller

I’ve settled on an emaille pan. They’re great for everything and seem to be pretty safe.

But I’ve stainless steel too and it’s totally fine to clean them only with salt and warm water. Bacteria hardly stick to it (plastic is way worse).

OP
R

rayban

I bought this last year: Amazon product ASIN B00421AYIGView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00421AYIG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Claims to be 18/10 stainless steel and a magnet sticks to the inside and outside. I'm very happy with it. If you're looking for a pan that company might sell pans of the same material.
It reads "made in china" below the pan. Id rather buy something made in Europe like De Buyer. Im assuming it's the magnetic one.

Gânico

Best materials imo:

1- glass
2- enameled steel
3- refractory ceramic

(also be sure to buy high quality stuff)

OP
R

rayban

Best materials imo:

1- glass
2- enameled steel
3- refractory ceramic

(also be sure to buy high quality stuff)
Post links? also how do you know those are safest?

What about the magnetic 18/10? the DeBuyer Affinity looks nice.

ursidae

tamara rubin tests everything with an XRF reader. She's taken cookware safety to a new level

this pot is from a 2018 line that's been discontinued, but as far as i'm aware Ikea's new series continues to be low nickel. I just bought one of their 365+ like pots, did the magnet test and it stuck. Made in china though

Glass is a safe choice, the newer Pyrex and Duralex do well on readings but avoid vintage as they tend to have lead

Titanium cookware is something I've been looking into lately

OP
R

rayban

tamara rubin tests everything with an XRF reader. She's taken cookware safety to a new level

this pot is from a 2018 line that's been discontinued, but as far as i'm aware Ikea's new series continues to be low nickel. I just bought one of their 365+ like pots, did the magnet test and it stuck. Made in china though

Glass is a safe choice, the newer Pyrex and Duralex do well on readings but avoid vintage as they tend to have lead

Titanium cookware is something I've been looking into lately
Which ones specifically? they look like regular ones.

Gânico

Post links? also how do you know those are safest?

What about the magnetic 18/10? the DeBuyer Affinity looks nice.
I can't post links, since i don't know good brands outside my country. Those are safe because the main problem with pans are metal or hazardous chemical substances like teflon leaching into foods

Glass can't leach metals unless you buy a very impure, really bad quality one.

Enameled is basically carbon steel or iron coated with a layer of glass, which makes it safe unless you chip it.

Refractory ceramic shouldn't be a problem either, one friend of mine sent his refractory ceramic cookware (the same i own) to a lab analysis and they couldn't detect any heavy metals, but like i said, focus on high quality stuff.

OP
R

rayban

I can't post links, since i don't know good brands outside my country. Those are safe because the main problem with pans are metal or hazardous chemical substances like teflon leaching into foods

Glass can't leach metals unless you buy a very impure, really bad quality one.

Enameled is basically carbon steel or iron coated with a layer of glass, which makes it safe unless you chip it.

Refractory ceramic shouldn't be a problem either, one friend of mine sent his refractory ceramic cookware (the same i own) to a lab analysis and they couldn't detect any heavy metals, but like i said, focus on high quality stuff.
Can you post the links anyway? so I can see what you are talking about. I've never seen this glass or ceramic type of cookware I think. Specifically what I need is:

-pan
-spatula
-soup ladle
-slotted spoon
-cutting board

with this I would be able to cook most meals

Last edited:

Gânico

Can you post the links anyway? so I can see what you are talking about. I've never seen this glass or ceramic type of cookware I think. Specifically what I need is:

-pan
-spatula
-soup ladle
-slotted spoon
-cutting board

with this I would be able to cook most meals
I couldn't find pure glass cookware in my country, but it seems like glass cookwares from Vision (name of the brand) are very popular worldwide.

i own enameled and ceramic of these brands:

Ceraflame (ceramic)
Home - Ewel - Esmaltados Werner (enameled)

OP
R

rayban

I couldn't find pure glass cookware in my country, but it seems like glass cookwares from Vision (name of the brand) are very popular worldwide.

i own enameled and ceramic of these brands:

Ceraflame (ceramic)
Home - Ewel - Esmaltados Werner (enameled)
So where's the trick for this to not leak anything nasty? these look like the regular black teflon coatings:

181.030-Conjunto-de-panelas-bojudas-4pcs-laranja-1.jpg

Also what about this on that tamara rubin site:

• I avoid ANY and ALL glazed ceramic pans. This includes blatantly misleading and dishonest claims — brands or models of pans that are actually glazed — but insist (via their marketing materials) that somehow they are not glazed (Xtrema/ Ceramcor/ Mercola)! [Breaking one of these pans in half, quickly reveals that the interior pinkish ceramic substrate has a separate black glaze coating on the surface; elemental analysis easily reveals the absurdity of many of these so-called “metal-free” pans (and the specific levels of each of the many metals found in the various substrates and coatings!).] Check out this link here.
  • I avoid ANY and ALL enamel coated metal pots and pans. This includes Le Creuset, Staub, Lodge – pans from ANY BRAND that have an enamel coating over metal. There ARE some brands who make products in this range that have Lead-free options (and Cadmium-free options), but we have learned that we cannot count on these brands to be consistently accountablewith best-practices testing, and continuous monitoring of their manufacturing and supply chains – including lifetime implications – for all the ingredients in their coatings… so it is best to avoid them altogether. Check out this link here.

OP
R

rayban

I've read this from the same link:

“But I heard stainless steel is not safe.”

I have reviewed several of the published papers summarizing experiments on stainless steel that demonstrate the potential for metals (primarily Nickel and possibly Chromium) to leach from stainless steel pots and pans into the food being cooked in those vessels. From what I have read on this subject, these experiments tend to set up circumstances that are not representative of normal usage of these pans. These studies seem to (across the board) use EXTENDED (not normal/typical) cooking times, AND the most acidic foods possible (tomatoes / tomato sauce), in an effort to see how much of various metals can possibly be extracted from the pans. So, with this context, I don’t have concern for NORMAL use of stainless pans.

Exceptions for medical conditions

Of course, if you have a diagnosed Nickel allergy, I do recommend finding low-Nickel (or Nickel-free) sources of stainless steel (Ikea has inexpensive choices that fit the bill and there are some other examples here on the blog as well), but otherwise I do not personally have a concern when stainless steel products are used as intended. Also, of course, if you have hemochromatosis (and therefore a specific diagnosed medical reason to be concerned for the use of cast Iron cookware), all cast iron should be avoided. [I am not a doctor, but that’s what the medical experts say!]

Gânico

So where's the trick for this to not leak anything nasty? these look like the regular black teflon coatings:

181.030-Conjunto-de-panelas-bojudas-4pcs-laranja-1.jpg

Also what about this on that tamara rubin site:

• I avoid ANY and ALL glazed ceramic pans. This includes blatantly misleading and dishonest claims — brands or models of pans that are actually glazed — but insist (via their marketing materials) that somehow they are not glazed (Xtrema/ Ceramcor/ Mercola)! [Breaking one of these pans in half, quickly reveals that the interior pinkish ceramic substrate has a separate black glaze coating on the surface; elemental analysis easily reveals the absurdity of many of these so-called “metal-free” pans (and the specific levels of each of the many metals found in the various substrates and coatings!).] Check out this link here.
  • I avoid ANY and ALL enamel coated metal pots and pans. This includes Le Creuset, Staub, Lodge – pans from ANY BRAND that have an enamel coating over metal. There ARE some brands who make products in this range that have Lead-free options (and Cadmium-free options), but we have learned that we cannot count on these brands to be consistently accountablewith best-practices testing, and continuous monitoring of their manufacturing and supply chains – including lifetime implications – for all the ingredients in their coatings… so it is best to avoid them altogether. Check out this link here.
I've read this from the same link:

“But I heard stainless steel is not safe.”

I have reviewed several of the published papers summarizing experiments on stainless steel that demonstrate the potential for metals (primarily Nickel and possibly Chromium) to leach from stainless steel pots and pans into the food being cooked in those vessels. From what I have read on this subject, these experiments tend to set up circumstances that are not representative of normal usage of these pans. These studies seem to (across the board) use EXTENDED (not normal/typical) cooking times, AND the most acidic foods possible (tomatoes / tomato sauce), in an effort to see how much of various metals can possibly be extracted from the pans. So, with this context, I don’t have concern for NORMAL use of stainless pans.

Exceptions for medical conditions

Of course, if you have a diagnosed Nickel allergy, I do recommend finding low-Nickel (or Nickel-free) sources of stainless steel (Ikea has inexpensive choices that fit the bill and there are some other examples here on the blog as well), but otherwise I do not personally have a concern when stainless steel products are used as intended. Also, of course, if you have hemochromatosis (and therefore a specific diagnosed medical reason to be concerned for the use of cast Iron cookware), all cast iron should be avoided. [I am not a doctor, but that’s what the medical experts say!]

"There ARE some brands who make products in this range that have Lead-free options (and Cadmium-free options), but we have learned that we cannot count on these brands to be consistently accountable"

Lol, she demonizes those pans just because the possibility of heavy metals in ceramic or enameled cookware, but shills for cast iron and stainless, which are guaranteed to leech into your foods anyway, it doesn't matter if it is acidic food, extended cooking, quick cooking or any other cope.

I agree that many companies are sketchy, but in the end you have to place some trust in everything you buy. We never really know if the claims are in fact truth, look at how many hidden additives are in our food.

But you can always send to a lab analysis to see if the part which comes in contact to your food is clean from toxic substances (that's what matters, not substrates).

Considering this, if you want to be as safe as possible, just get some clean, high quality glass cookware, i can't really find any other better material than it, and it seems like even the ma'am who wrote those articles approves it as well.

OP
R

rayban

"There ARE some brands who make products in this range that have Lead-free options (and Cadmium-free options), but we have learned that we cannot count on these brands to be consistently accountable"

Lol, she demonizes those pans just because the possibility of heavy metals in ceramic or enameled cookware, but shills for cast iron and stainless, which are guaranteed to leech into your foods anyway, it doesn't matter if it is acidic food, extended cooking, quick cooking or any other cope.

I agree that many companies are sketchy, but in the end you have to place some trust in everything you buy. We never really know if the claims are in fact truth, look at how many hidden additives are in our food.

But you can always send to a lab analysis to see if the part which comes in contact to your food is clean from toxic substances (that's what matters, not substrates).

Considering this, if you want to be as safe as possible, just get some clean, high quality glass cookware, i can't really find any other better material than it, and it seems like even the ma'am who wrote those articles approves it as well.

I can't find any spoons etc made of glass. My god can someone give me a link? it's been 2 weeks trying to decide what to buy. Im considering just buying Le Creuset silicon ones and just buy the Ozeri professional pans and be done with it.

I like Caroway pans. They are free from heavy metals and the company seems good. I like non stick pans.

I'm.No.One

Check out 360° cookware 360 Cookware
They're an amazing high-quality pan & probably about as safe as you can get for stainless.

Screenshot_20220227-181114.png

Kray

I like Caroway pans. They are free from heavy metals and the company seems good. I like non stick pans.
Do you use Caroway for all your stove-top cooking? I had avoided nonstick until I met my first Caroway a few months ago. I was so tired of cleaning out my stainless fry pan every time I used it for eggs. With Caroway, now it's a breeze. I liked its features, but must admit I wasn't even thinking about toxic metals. I do hope it's not an issue with this brand.

How about cutlery, if I am trying to avoid chromium, and especially nickel? Any brand to recommend? Thanks!

Edit: Correct spelling is CARAWAY- sorry about that!

Last edited:

Sparks

@rayban Hi, may I please ask what you purchased in the end? I too need to buy a new pot as the coating has chipped on my La Creuset. Thank you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals