P5P Recommendations

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I had someone recommend a good P5P supplement at one time but now I cannot find it. Would appreciate any recommendations of a good source, preferably affordable. :lol:

:hattip

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh and I have a theory, since B6 helps my dermatits so well.....but I end up having overdose symptoms of B6 after taking it a while. That hopefully the P5P will handle it without the overload symptoms and finally I can knock out this dermatitis fully. Well, its a nice thought anyways. :lol:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Charlie, you better hurry up! It looks like big pharma wants to ban P5P since it is a "drug" that they plan on patenting and selling.

http://www.anh-usa.org/action-alert-nat ... -in-peril/
http://naturalsociety.com/fda-ban-b6-su ... ig-pharma/

Anyways, I took P5P several times in the last month and I have to say that it works but finding the right dosage has not been easy for me. At first I took 200mg in one dose and that seemed to lower prolactin a lot, BUT it also gave me extreme anxiety and feelings of being spaced out. I waited about a week and then took 100mg in one dose. That worked too but again with anxiety issues and a bit of brain fog. Finally, I took "only" 50mg and that seemed like a good dose for me. So, in summary I only took it 3 times separated by several days of taking nothing in between.
So, several weeks after the last dose I got a vitamin test and my B6 levels were through the roof! Basically, double the upper limit considered normal. I think upper limit was something like 40 and my levels were 78. The doctor said this level is still not toxic but advised to discontinue. So, it seems like P5P is pretty potent stuff and actually stays in the body for some time. I would say that it definitely works for lowering prolactin but it had side effects for me and it showed on the blood tests weeks later. I can only imagine what my levels were at the time of dosing.
Since P5P is the active form of B6 I think that one should probably take less than 10mg since this is what Ray recommends for plain B6 and we know the conversion efficiency is not even close to 100%.
YMMV, but just wanted to share my experience that for me P5P is actually a drug and should be treated wih caution.

moss

May be off topic here but if you are looking to lower prolactin, the herb Vitex agnus-castus (Chastetree), influences the pituitary gland, blocks prolactin and has hormonal balancing characteristics and works well in conjunction with B6.
moss

uuy8778yyi

europharma b6 and magnesium

the b6 , p5p actually, combins better when with magnesium

Kray

The user was last seen about 4 years ago, so good luck getting an answer.
Thanks for your quick response! I think others had asked about a good P5P choice; if anyone else on the thread has an update to add in this regard, I would appreciate it! I would like to add some P5P but don't want a huge dose. I know we're not to push particular brands, but the one I had asked about looks to be one of the few, if not only, that had a dose less than (standard) 33.5mg or higher (usually 50mg or more is offered).

Thanks again-

redsun

Thanks for your quick response! I think others had asked about a good P5P choice; if anyone else on the thread has an update to add in this regard, I would appreciate it! I would like to add some P5P but don't want a huge dose. I know we're not to push particular brands, but the one I had asked about looks to be one of the few, if not only, that had a dose less than (standard) 33.5mg or higher (usually 50mg or more is offered).

Thanks again-

I honestly think any will do assuming its P5P. I use vitamin shoppe brand no with problems. P5P is very powerful in a good way.

Kray

I honestly think any will do assuming its P5P. I use vitamin shoppe brand no with problems. P5P is very powerful in a good way.
There seems to be concern of taking too much, according to others' experience, and it's already in its available form. In your opinion, is 10mg P5P enough of a dose (instructions do say to repeat during day, which I'd rather not do)? Or is somewhere between 33.5-50mg usually better? Can you explain further about its efficacy and give some suggestions on dose? Not sure what VS brand has. Thanks-

redsun

There seems to be concern of taking too much, according to others' experience, and it's already in its available form. Can you explain further about its efficacy and give some suggestions on dose? Not sure what VS brand has. Thanks-

They have 50mg tablets. I never had problems taking 50mg a day or 100mg a day. I have even taken more in the short term. Very good for cognition, mood.

Kray

They have 50mg tablets. I never had problems taking 50mg a day or 100mg a day. I have even taken more in the short term. Very good for cognition, mood.
Would dose for women be lower necessarily?

redsun

Would dose for women be lower necessarily?

If you are worried about it you can just chop the pill in half or in quarters. I dont think its too bad but if you are a woman and smaller it will still work with a smaller dose easily.

Kray

Is the 10mg dose that has been floated (according to Peat) referring to pyridoxine/B6, or P5P, do you know? I guess I can start with 10mg dose and up it from there seeing how it goes.

redsun

Is the 10mg dose that has been floated (according to Peat) referring to pyridoxine/B6, or P5P, do you know? I guess I can start with 10mg dose and up it from there seeing how it goes.

I think Peat recommends 10mg of P5P at most. I believe he says the same about pyridoxine, though of course its less effective still.

baccheion

There seems to be concern of taking too much, according to others' experience, and it's already in its available form. In your opinion, is 10mg P5P enough of a dose (instructions do say to repeat during day, which I'd rather not do)? Or is somewhere between 33.5-50mg usually better? Can you explain further about its efficacy and give some suggestions on dose? Not sure what VS brand has. Thanks-
You could take some amount for a while, then get a blood test.

The 10.6 mg in ZMA formulations is pyridoxine. As based on my calculations serum would near top of the range at 12-13 mg pyridoxine or 2-3 mg P-5'-P, I'd say pyridoxine is the form assumed. Further, it's the one commonly found in foods (versus riboflavin, for example, which is typically consumed as FAD or FMN).

Kray

You could take some amount for a while, then get a blood test.

The 10.6 mg in ZMA formulations is pyridoxine. As based on my calculations serum would near top of the range at 12-13 mg pyridoxine or 2-3 mg P-5'-P, I'd say pyridoxine is the form assumed. Further, it's the one commonly found in foods (versus riboflavin, for example, which is typically consumed as FAD or FMN).

Wow, thanks for the breakdown. I thought he was referring to B6, but 10mg P5P would be a lot according to your information! Thanks for helping me wade through this; I was going to swap for a different brand, but I think I'll stick with the 10mg brand for now. btw- can you share what benefits you've noticed, and do you take yours daily?

baccheion

Wow, thanks for the breakdown. I thought he was referring to B6, but 10mg P5P would be a lot according to your information! Thanks for helping me wade through this; I was going to swap for a different brand, but I think I'll stick with the 10mg brand for now. btw- can you share what benefits you've noticed, and do you take yours daily?
I take a multivitamin. Wouldn't be sure of effect from just one.

I took B6 alone in the past. Mainly noticed once taking 50 mg+ P-5'-P, as dreams became vivid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals