P5P, B2, Magnesium, Methylation Support

Colin MB

Anyone have any thoughts re my long-suffering daughter, Anna’s difficulties getting to grips with her CFS?

A few years ago, Anna, began following Rich van Konynenburg's Simplified Methylation Protocol. She subsequently improved noticeably, in that she was able to get out of bed and be more mobile, with less pain and fatigue. She also experienced what I’ve seen referred to as ‘neurological brightening’ (sharp little nerve pains, not unpleasant), every time she increased her B12 and folate. When the brightening faded, she knew it was time to increase again. For the first several increments, the brightening was stronger each time. But then, the brightening began to be weaker each time, until eventually it stopped altogether – at about 8000mcg methylcobalamin and about 6400mcg folate daily.

Then she cut back to 1400mcg B12 and 1200mcg folate (partly because she wasn’t getting the brightening any more, and partly because her teeth were becoming very sensitive, from the way she was holding the Enzymatic Therapy B12 Infusion tablets between her teeth and cheeks, for extended periods of time). She has been continuing at this lower level for 2 years now, and her general condition has neither improved nor worsened.

Throughout the process, she had been taking daily, 1 x Pure Encapsulations B-Complex Plus, providing her with 16.7mg of B6 (40% of which is P5P).

A few months ago she started adding daily, 12.5mg of P5P (giving her a total daily P5P of 29.2mg; i.e. including the P5P from the B-Complex), which she tolerated, but she didn’t notice any effect.

Early last week she added daily another 12.5mg of P5P (giving her a total daily P5P of 41.7mg). She took away this additional P5P after 2 days because she had a severe reaction. The one positive of the extra P5P had been that her brain fog lifted (for about 12 hours) and she was able to perform mental tasks that are normally beyond her – but this positive was really only like an adrenaline surge, or a caffeine rush, and even as she experienced it, she knew there would be a price to pay. And there was - palpitations, overheating, thirst, sweating, flushed skin, headaches, hyperactive dreaming, insomnia… and she finally crashed with exreme fatigue and brain fog. Nearly two weeks later, she’s still struggling to recover.

We read that you need to have sufficient B2 to support P5P and so, a few days after the P5P crash, in an attempt to deal with the bad effects of the P5P, she added daily, 25mg of B2 (on top of the 12.7mg in the B-Complex). This made things worse – she had been starting to recover from the P5P crash, but the B2 brought it all back again.

This is leading us to think there is some problem with the trans-sulfuration pathway, because the CBS enzyme relies on B6. She had her homocysteine tested a year ago and it was 4.7umol/L, which we believe is on the low side. Does her low homocysteine and difficulties with B2/B6 suggest an upregulation in the CBS enzyme? She also has chronically low magnesium (in spite of supplementing by every means available) and we think there may be a link between that and the P5P intolerance?

Or, could the reaction to P5P be a sign that some process was waking up, but that she simply took more than her system was able to manage – and she should try again, but starting with a tiny dosage? (She worries that she might be doing herself some harm with the P5P/B2, so is reluctant to experiment further.)

Anna’s urine is always dark yellow, despite drinking a lot of water; and she always feels dehydrated. The strong urine colour is 24/7; i.e. it happens long after B2 supplementation - could this be ‘B2 wasting’; i.e. B2 not being used, whether from food or supplements – or could it be due to excessive ammonia/sulfur/other waste in the urine? (Her urine pH varies between 5 and 9; i.e. is often strongly alkaline.)

sunraiser

Methylation should return / stabalise once cellular energy has been restored - hacking it will only ever be a bandaid.

Has she had full liver function tests done? Or ceruloplasmin?

Was alkaline phosphatase low or borderline?

I feel like there's a fundamental misunderstanding on the CFS forums about vitamin and mineral uptake - ie via r5p and p5p usage or other phosphorated/active forms. The body isn't broken, there isn't an absorption issue, it's correctly being limited as a key cofactor is missing or limited, perhaps due to liver health or other unknown factors.

Knowing full liver function would go a long way! Also history of restrictive dieting etc

fradon

Anyone have any thoughts re my long-suffering daughter, Anna’s difficulties getting to grips with her CFS?

A few years ago, Anna, began following Rich van Konynenburg's Simplified Methylation Protocol. She subsequently improved noticeably, in that she was able to get out of bed and be more mobile, with less pain and fatigue. She also experienced what I’ve seen referred to as ‘neurological brightening’ (sharp little nerve pains, not unpleasant), every time she increased her B12 and folate. When the brightening faded, she knew it was time to increase again. For the first several increments, the brightening was stronger each time. But then, the brightening began to be weaker each time, until eventually it stopped altogether – at about 8000mcg methylcobalamin and about 6400mcg folate daily.

Then she cut back to 1400mcg B12 and 1200mcg folate (partly because she wasn’t getting the brightening any more, and partly because her teeth were becoming very sensitive, from the way she was holding the Enzymatic Therapy B12 Infusion tablets between her teeth and cheeks, for extended periods of time). She has been continuing at this lower level for 2 years now, and her general condition has neither improved nor worsened.

Throughout the process, she had been taking daily, 1 x Pure Encapsulations B-Complex Plus, providing her with 16.7mg of B6 (40% of which is P5P).

A few months ago she started adding daily, 12.5mg of P5P (giving her a total daily P5P of 29.2mg; i.e. including the P5P from the B-Complex), which she tolerated, but she didn’t notice any effect.

Early last week she added daily another 12.5mg of P5P (giving her a total daily P5P of 41.7mg). She took away this additional P5P after 2 days because she had a severe reaction. The one positive of the extra P5P had been that her brain fog lifted (for about 12 hours) and she was able to perform mental tasks that are normally beyond her – but this positive was really only like an adrenaline surge, or a caffeine rush, and even as she experienced it, she knew there would be a price to pay. And there was - palpitations, overheating, thirst, sweating, flushed skin, headaches, hyperactive dreaming, insomnia… and she finally crashed with exreme fatigue and brain fog. Nearly two weeks later, she’s still struggling to recover.

We read that you need to have sufficient B2 to support P5P and so, a few days after the P5P crash, in an attempt to deal with the bad effects of the P5P, she added daily, 25mg of B2 (on top of the 12.7mg in the B-Complex). This made things worse – she had been starting to recover from the P5P crash, but the B2 brought it all back again.

This is leading us to think there is some problem with the trans-sulfuration pathway, because the CBS enzyme relies on B6. She had her homocysteine tested a year ago and it was 4.7umol/L, which we believe is on the low side. Does her low homocysteine and difficulties with B2/B6 suggest an upregulation in the CBS enzyme? She also has chronically low magnesium (in spite of supplementing by every means available) and we think there may be a link between that and the P5P intolerance?

Or, could the reaction to P5P be a sign that some process was waking up, but that she simply took more than her system was able to manage – and she should try again, but starting with a tiny dosage? (She worries that she might be doing herself some harm with the P5P/B2, so is reluctant to experiment further.)

Anna’s urine is always dark yellow, despite drinking a lot of water; and she always feels dehydrated. The strong urine colour is 24/7; i.e. it happens long after B2 supplementation - could this be ‘B2 wasting’; i.e. B2 not being used, whether from food or supplements – or could it be due to excessive ammonia/sulfur/other waste in the urine? (Her urine pH varies between 5 and 9; i.e. is often strongly alkaline.)

the dark yellow urine is all the b vitamins she is taking...she could be taking too much. she may need to drink more water.

i had poor results with p5p and went on regular b6 from sundown naturals the vitamin shoppe b6 did nothing for me.

but even though b6 is water soluble it can build up and cause problems. i have also notice b6 increased my dopamine/adrealine.

she also need to look out for all the extra folate she is taking and the b12 as they both lower homecysteine.

folate is two faced. for undermethylators and it can increases methylation and for overmehtylators in can help lower it as i read some nutritionist treating schizophrenia with folate as it lowers dopamine and methylation.

maybe your daughter would be fine with b6 and not so much b12 and folate

also if she has issues with mtfhr gene then sythetic folate could be an issue as well.

too much supplementation can deplete other minerals and vitamins too much b6 can lower calcium copper and iron...all this can lead to anemia or low energy

check out this list.

http://www.return2health.net/articles/vitamin-mineral-antagonists/

Last edited:

Soika

Did you taste her thyroid gormons levels?if she has hypothyroidizm all of supplements wouldnt work good..

BigChad

the dark yellow urine is all the b vitamins she is taking...she could be taking too much. she may need to drink more water.

i had poor results with p5p and went on regular b6 from sundown naturals the vitamin shoppe b6 did nothing for me.

but even though b6 is water soluble it can build up and cause problems. i have also notice b6 increased my dopamine/adrealine.

she also need to look out for all the extra folate she is taking and the b12 as they both lower homecysteine.

folate is two faced. for undermethylators and it can increases methylation and for overmehtylators in can help lower it as i read some nutritionist treating schizophrenia with folate as it lowers dopamine and methylation.

maybe your daughter would be fine with b6 and not so much b12 and folate

also if she has issues with mtfhr gene then sythetic folate could be an issue as well.

too much supplementation can deplete other minerals and vitamins too much b6 can lower calcium copper and iron...all this can lead to anemia or low energy

check out this list.

Vitamin and Mineral Agonists and Antagonists

8.5mg p5p b6 is enough to cause issues? Where did you find out b6 lowers copper iron and calcium?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals