B6

Katty

B6 seems to have delayed my period. Can anyone explain the mechanism?

I've been putting p5p powder in my foot baths pretty much every day for about 6 weeks or so. I'm not measuring, but it's probably 20-50mg. It's causing breakouts in odd places (behind ears and on neck). I thought it was helping my cycle though because last month my period came on day 29 (had been using the B6 for about 2 weeks at that point), which is good for me because it was starting to be delayed to around day 33.
However, this month it's day 35 and still no period. A quick google search shows others have complained of a delayed period when taking B6- some saying B6 is causing a delayed ovulation.
The interesting thing is that I thought it was lowering prolactin because my breasts were not as tender this month during pms and I wasn't as irritable. Though maybe I haven't even hit pms yet this month because of the delayed ovulation.

Can anyone explain the mechanism at play?

honeybee

Katty said:

I've been putting p5p powder in my foot baths pretty much every day for about 6 weeks or so. I'm not measuring, but it's probably 20-50mg. It's causing breakouts in odd places (behind ears and on neck). I thought it was helping my cycle though because last month my period came on day 29 (had been using the B6 for about 2 weeks at that point), which is good for me because it was starting to be delayed to around day 33.
However, this month it's day 35 and still no period. A quick google search shows others have complained of a delayed period when taking B6- some saying B6 is causing a delayed ovulation.
The interesting thing is that I thought it was lowering prolactin because my breasts were not as tender this month during pms and I wasn't as irritable. Though maybe I haven't even hit pms yet this month because of the delayed ovulation.

h

I can't help you with mechanism behind b6 but the p5p is fairly potent version of b6.if you are using it everyday then you might be overdosed or it has caused an imbalance. RP recommends no more than a few mg per day of the regular version.
I did use p5p for awhile to help with prolactin and it does work somewhat but is topped regular useage because I found something better. I have MUCH better effects using eggshell calcium. I take about 1/4 tsp 3x/day with meals. i noticed within a few days the tonsure area on my head is no longer sore and my breasts aren't inflated. Water retention has subsided quite a bit. This is kinda a big deal for me since I've been working on prolactin and haven't wanted to take an rx with all the side effects, etc
My :2cents

OP
K

Katty

honeybee said:
I can't help you with mechanism behind b6 but the p5p is fairly potent version of b6.if you are using it everyday then you might be overdosed or it has caused an imbalance. RP recommends no more than a few mg per day of the regular version.
I did use p5p for awhile to help with prolactin and it does work somewhat but is topped regular useage because I found something better. I have MUCH better effects using eggshell calcium. I take about 1/4 tsp 3x/day with meals. i noticed within a few days the tonsure area on my head is no longer sore and my breasts aren't inflated. Water retention has subsided quite a bit. This is kinda a big deal for me since I've been working on prolactin and haven't wanted to take an rx with all the side effects, etc
Thanks for your thoughts. Glad you're having good results with the calcium!
I used to take eggshell calcium regularly but haven't in a while. Guess I could try it again. I figured the p5p was ok in the amount I was taking because it was only in a foot bath and not orally, but maybe absorption rate is better than I thought. Apparently I threw some stuff out of balance.

haidut

Forum Supporter
honeybee said:
Katty said:

h

P5P is a glucocorticoid, estrogen, androgen, and purinergic receptor antagonist. It also lowers prolactin, glutamate, ACTH and IGF-1 among other things. It inhibits COM/COMT and as such increases plasma levels of dopamine and norepinephrine. The effective doses are in the range 25mg - 300mg for all of these effects so it seems to cover your case. With so many possible effects, my advice is to lower the dose and see if it helps. Doing some hormonal blood work may also help. Keep in mind that while we think of P5P as a vitamin it is actually considered a drug by several companies lobbying FDA to pull it out of the open market similarly to its cousin pyridoxamine. Personally, I would not take more than 5mg on a regular basis. For people under serious stress, 25mg - 50mg are enough and only have to be taken for a few days.

haidut

Forum Supporter
uuy8778yyi said:
p5p can be toxic

regular b6

I disagree. It's the regular pyridoxine hydrochloride that has been shown to be neurotoxic and it is due to the organism not being able to metabolize it into P5P. Taking P5P has shown no toxicity even in doses of 150mg/kg for a human. However P5P can have "functional" toxicity by displacing GABA from its receptors or causing catecholamine toxicity through COM inhibition. But P5P itself is not toxic.

nograde

haidut said:
uuy8778yyi said:
p5p can be toxic

regular b6

I disagree. It's the regular pyridoxine hydrochloride that has been shown to be neurotoxic and it is due to the organism not being able to metabolize it into P5P. Taking P5P has shown no toxicity even in doses of 150mg/kg for a human. However P5P can have "functional" toxicity by displacing GABA from its receptors or causing catecholamine toxicity through COM inhibition. But P5P itself is not toxic.

Exactly my experience. Haidut, do you know any factors, nutritional or otherwise, that slow down the conversion to P5P? With pyridoxine hydrochloride I get classic Pyridoxine-toxicity symptoms at ridiculously low amounts (30mg does it!). I have no problems with P5P even in megadoses (tried 500mg at once).

haidut

Forum Supporter
nograde said:
haidut said:
uuy8778yyi said:
p5p can be toxic

regular b6

Exactly my experience. Haidut, do you know any factors, nutritional or otherwise, that slow down the conversion to P5P? With pyridoxine hydrochloride I get classic Pyridoxine-toxicity symptoms at ridiculously low amounts (30mg does it!). I have no problems with P5P even in megadoses (tried 500mg at once).

Aging and hypothyroidism both decrease the conversion efficiency. There was much hope back in the 1960s that pyridoxine hydrochloride would be a safe treatment for epilepsy and high prolactin and those hopes got dashed when giving adults 100mg+ resulted in toxicities. The medical profession sort of gave up on B6, but these hopes have been renewed with the studies on P5P and pyridoxamine. In my experience, taking regular B6 with zinc and magnesium improves the conversion into P5P. Zinc 30mg and magnesium 200mg with each dose of regular B6 should do the trick.

OP
K

Katty

haidut said:
honeybee said:
Katty said:

h

P5P is a glucocorticoid, estrogen, androgen, and purinergic receptor antagonist. It also lowers prolactin, glutamate, ACTH and IGF-1 among other things. It inhibits COM/COMT and as such increases plasma levels of dopamine and norepinephrine. The effective doses are in the range 25mg - 300mg for all of these effects so it seems to cover your case. With so many possible effects, my advice is to lower the dose and see if it helps. Doing some hormonal blood work may also help. Keep in mind that while we think of P5P as a vitamin it is actually considered a drug by several companies lobbying FDA to pull it out of the open market similarly to its cousin pyridoxamine. Personally, I would not take more than 5mg on a regular basis. For people under serious stress, 25mg - 50mg are enough and only have to be taken for a few days.

Thanks for your response! Seems I overdid it, so I'll back off.

narouz

haidut said:
uuy8778yyi said:
p5p can be toxic

regular b6

Thanks for these thoughts, haidut.
I had somehow fallen into thinking the regular B6 was more potentially toxic.
And I can't even remember why I thought that... :D

haidut

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
haidut said:
uuy8778yyi said:
p5p can be toxic

regular b6

Thanks for these thoughts, haidut.
I had somehow fallen into thinking the regular B6 was more potentially toxic.
And I can't even remember why I thought that... :D

Well, yes, regular B6 as in pyridoxine hydrochlorise (PHCL) IS more toxic than P5P. Most people start getting neurotoxic symptoms from as little as 100mg PHCL taken every day for a month. No toxicity was seen with P5P in humans at doses of 150mg/kg, which means 10g - 15g of P5P a day for many months and even years.