Niacinamide And Progesterone For Traumatic Brain Injury

allblues

Found this study, scientists here reaching Peatiness levels that shouldn't even be possible, combining niacinamide and progesterone, two of Ray's most oft-cited helpful substances in treating experimental brain injury.

Combined treatment seems to have been significantly more effective on all parameters than with NAM or PROG alone, which themselves showed significant improvements vs injured rats given vehicle.

A Combination Therapy of Nicotinamide and Progesterone Improves Functional Recovery following Traumatic Brain Injury. - PubMed - NCBI
Overall, combination treatment with NAM and Prog provided both functional recovery and neuroprotection beyond both of each of the individual treatments. NAM/Prog-treated animals performed better than the individual treatment groups in the majority of the sensorimotor assessments, had reduced tissue loss (24 h post-injury), and a fewer number of FJ+and GFAP+cells in the ipsilateral hemisphere following unilateral sensorimotor CCI. Animals treated with NAM/Prog performed significantly better than Vehicle-treated animals on both fine motor movement tasks, the forelimb asymmetry task and the locomotor placing task, and the sensorimotor task on all assessment days. Further, the NAM/Prog-treated group was not significantly different than the experimental control group of uninjured animals (Sham) in the tactile adhesive removal task. The NAM/Prog-treated group was the only treatment group to show a significant reduction of cortical loss 24 h post-injury.
These results confirm previous studies that demonstrate that NAM and Prog treatment reduces neuronal degeneration and the glial response following injury. However, the current study also extended the findings to show that the NAM/Prog-treated group had significantly fewer FJ+neurons and a lower number of GFAP+stained astrocytes than both the NAM and Prog-treated groups. This suggests that the individual treatments can reduce neuronal degeneration and astrogliosis to a degree but that the combination of NAM/Prog is more effective than either treatment alone.

DaveFoster

Good post; very interesting. Both are antiinflammatory, and both serve as GABA agonists, lower cortisol, and lower estrogen.

OP
allblues

allblues

I'm not very savvy with dose conversion, but from what i could gather from online sources on how to hash out human equivalent doses,
the doses used seem to be an acute dose of 850 mg niacinamide, and 115 mg progesterone administered 4 hrs post-injury and then again every 12 hrs for 72 hrs, for a daily mean of 268 mg progesterone.

Provided i got the dose conversion right this looks like very reasonable doses, especially for an acute-type scenario.
Maybe someone could check if the numbers are correct.

pepsi

In his latest talk I just listened to last night, Generative Energy #31: Safe Supplements With Raymond Peat,
Ray talks about that if your in a car accident and you can still move, to pour progesterone in your mouth.

I went to this talk about a month ago, The River Speaks Lecture and Workshop Series , the Doctor mentioned
he has treated TBI with hormones( progesterone/estrogen) with no results. I wanted to ask him what type of progesterone he used, natural or synthetic.
If I remember correctly from a post here, synthetic progesterone can cause cancer but natural progesterone is safe. I wonder if it matters short term as in this case. But I would be curious what type they used and if there really is a difference between synthetic and natural. The link to this study would be good to send to the doctor at the lecture.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals