Need help forgetting or overcoming a fear of something

Summer

I’m not going to mention what I read. It’s nothing illegal but it’s very disturbing, especially if you’re prone to anxiety. If you have any idea of what it is, I kindly ask that you don’t mention it in this thread but if you have very specific advice pertaining to it, please PM me instead.

Long story short, I read something online that I shouldn’t have when I was getting too deep into Internet rabbit holes.

Now I’m not sure if it’s affecting me in such a profoundly negative way because of a hormonal state or simply because I tend to overthink things, but I’d love some advice on either how to forget it or on what I can do to get over my fear of something that is likely completely irrational.

Thanks in advance.

Melekai

Label the emotion every time you experience it; doing so lowers the potency of the feeling. Tell yourself that you don't *know* this thing to be true (because as you allude to, you don't, and it may be false). Every time you find yourself ruminating on it, after labeling your resulting emotion, tell yourself that you don't control this external thing; you can only control how you respond. Shift your conscious thinking to a goal you wish to pursue, or construct a statement of how you wish to feel or be, and repeat it like a mantra. Blast yourself with music, and dance.

LoryEl

I adivice you look into NLP exercises for anxiety and fobia. I find these very effective. Feeling the emotion in your body how it moves and than changing direction speeding stoping and slowing the movement. Playing with images in your head framing them in black and white frames and pictures and getting those further or closer. A tone of exercises you could look into. Very quick and effective. No experience required

golder

I adivice you look into NLP exercises for anxiety and fobia. I find these very effective. Feeling the emotion in your body how it moves and than changing direction speeding stoping and slowing the movement. Playing with images in your head framing them in black and white frames and pictures and getting those further or closer. A tone of exercises you could look into. Very quick and effective. No experience required
Any chance you could point us in the right direction of a good place to start regarding this? Sounds really useful, thank you!

BearWithMe

In good health, you should not have a reaction like this no matter what you read.

Fix the underlying issue, not the symptom.

Phosphor

Assuming you can do nothing about the actual thing you read about, many people get immense relief from "tapping," otherwise called Emotional Freedom Technique. There are many videos on youtube.
Funny but I do not respond to this but many, many people do. I got over PTSD with Eden Energy Medicine but it takes a while to change the energy pattern permanently. For that, look up Triple Warmer things with Eden Energy on youtube. Triple Warmer is your limbic system that is fight/flight/freeze and drives those reactions thinking it must protect you against something that frightened you,

OP
Summer

Summer

Label the emotion every time you experience it; doing so lowers the potency of the feeling. Tell yourself that you don't *know* this thing to be true (because as you allude to, you don't, and it may be false). Every time you find yourself ruminating on it, after labeling your resulting emotion, tell yourself that you don't control this external thing; you can only control how you respond. Shift your conscious thinking to a goal you wish to pursue, or construct a statement of how you wish to feel or be, and repeat it like a mantra. Blast yourself with music, and dance.
Thanks, I will give this a shot. Especially the music part :)

Thank you, gonna look into this NLP.

In good health, you should not have a reaction like this no matter what you read.

Fix the underlying issue, not the symptom.
I agree, but with an info hazard that I’m not sure exists or not, this is a sort of existential fear that I don’t feel I can shake in a generalized manner such as improving overall health (although this is something I’m always striving for).

OP
Summer

Summer

Assuming you can do nothing about the actual thing you read about, many people get immense relief from "tapping," otherwise called Emotional Freedom Technique. There are many videos on youtube.
Funny but I do not respond to this but many, many people do. I got over PTSD with Eden Energy Medicine but it takes a while to change the energy pattern permanently. For that, look up Triple Warmer things with Eden Energy on youtube. Triple Warmer is your limbic system that is fight/flight/freeze and drives those reactions thinking it must protect you against something that frightened you,
Even before this is all started, I definitely feel my energy pattern needed to be changed. I’ve always been tense and anxious since I was a kid. I’ll look into both tapping and Eden Energy Medicine. Thank you.

gaze

I used to get this a ton as a kid. obviously in the moment you always think you will be thinking about it forever, although eventually it fades away every time.

I think it's largely rooted in a fear of death, and reading certain stories scares us if we think we face certain vulnerabilities, there are a ton of different people who talk about this issue, david hawkins is one example, but i think it's difficult to rely on psychology to get over it. Personally i would work towards lowering the physical symptoms by using things like magnesium, instead of trying to overcome it purely with the mind

Runenight201

I think for an irrational fear having someone help you work through why what you believe is irrational and wrong will ameliorate the condition. I read something earlier today about how the role of the therapist is to help the individual draw new associations about life, themselves, their beliefs, etc...

OP
Summer

Summer

I used to get this a ton as a kid. obviously in the moment you always think you will be thinking about it forever, although eventually it fades away every time.

I think it's largely rooted in a fear of death, and reading certain stories scares us if we think we face certain vulnerabilities, there are a ton of different people who talk about this issue, david hawkins is one example, but i think it's difficult to rely on psychology to get over it. Personally i would work towards lowering the physical symptoms by using things like magnesium, instead of trying to overcome it purely with the mind
This one goes a bit beyond death, unfortunately, but I for sure need to get back on my magnesium supplementing. I’ve been neglected that and I haven’t been eating anything with a significant mag content. Thanks.
I think for an irrational fear having someone help you work through why what you believe is irrational and wrong will ameliorate the condition. I read something earlier today about how the role of the therapist is to help the individual draw new associations about life, themselves, their beliefs, etc...
I would love to talk to someone about it, but I think it would be unethical for me to do so because it could potentially put them in the same predicament if I told them. I’ve read the theories as to why it’s unrealistic from people with more intellect than myself who have read it, but I’m still uneasy...

miraddo

I’m not going to mention what I read. It’s nothing illegal but it’s very disturbing, especially if you’re prone to anxiety. If you have any idea of what it is, I kindly ask that you don’t mention it in this thread but if you have very specific advice pertaining to it, please PM me instead.

Long story short, I read something online that I shouldn’t have when I was getting too deep into Internet rabbit holes.

Now I’m not sure if it’s affecting me in such a profoundly negative way because of a hormonal state or simply because I tend to overthink things, but I’d love some advice on either how to forget it or on what I can do to get over my fear of something that is likely completely irrational.

Thanks in advance.
As someone who has also gone down a few rabbit holes, I would advise to distract yourself for the time being with something else. Focus on your gut health, focus on your career and money, physically remove yourself where possible from the area. Relocate to a different part of the house from where you were when you read it. Go for a walk outside or in your backyard barefoot, in the sun. Ground yourself.

Time is a strange thing, if you create some space it will slowly fade from view with time, no matter how earth shattering it is.

Runenight201

I would love to talk to someone about it, but I think it would be unethical for me to do so because it could potentially put them in the same predicament if I told them. I’ve read the theories as to why it’s unrealistic from people with more intellect than myself who have read it, but I’m still uneasy...
Is there a way to verify their theories through your own experience?

OP
Summer

Summer

As someone who has also gone down a few rabbit holes, I would advise to distract yourself for the time being with something else. Focus on your gut health, focus on your career and money, physically remove yourself where possible from the area. Relocate to a different part of the house from where you were when you read it. Go for a walk outside or in your backyard barefoot, in the sun. Ground yourself.

Time is a strange thing, if you create some space it will slowly fade from view with time, no matter how earth shattering it is.
Good advice. I do tend to think about other things throughout the day. It’s a shame there’s so much other craziness to focus on when my mind drifts away from this issue. Went for a walk today. It certainly was grounding.
Is there a way to verify their theories through your own experience?
Sadly no. The nature of it makes it impossible to test or disprove (or prove). That’s what makes it so insidious. Some people have just shrugged it off, others just can’t.

BearWithMe

There are more smart, knowledgeable and rational people on this forum than anywhere else on the internet. Also, there are many people especially skilled in going down rabbit holes.

I'm sure that if you share your concern, someone would be able to either disprove the whole thing, or to offer some insight that would ease your mind.

OP
Summer

Summer

It it's something particular (object, event, experience) which you fear as opposed to a general anxiety, then Bach flower essence Mimulus is specific for fear.
I guess you could say it’s a potential event. Thanks, I’ll look into that.
There are more smart, knowledgeable and rational people on this forum than anywhere else on the internet. Also, there are many people especially skilled in going down rabbit holes.

I'm sure that if you share your concern, someone would be able to either disprove the whole thing, or to offer some insight that would ease your mind.
I agree, but it’s useless knowledge in the sense that it has no potential to enrich anybody’s life and only serves to bring mental anguish. Sounds corny but it’s true. Knowing is the problem.

BearWithMe

I guess you could say it’s a potential event. Thanks, I’ll look into that.

I agree, but it’s useless knowledge in the sense that it has no potential to enrich anybody’s life and only serves to bring mental anguish. Sounds corny but it’s true. Knowing is the problem.
Aaaaah I think I know what you are talking about.

Generally speaking, you can prepare for almost any event. Make steps to lessen its impact. But you need to know about it in advance.

And in the super rare cases of fatal events you really can't do absolutely nothing about, you can at least make sure you live your last days to the fullest.

Do things you always wanted to do, spend time with your loved ones, maybe take a nice vacation or something, be happy and try not to think about things you can't control, because it is not going to be helpful by definition.

And this is exactly what you should do, too.

So I see a lot of potential to enrich people lives by sharing the info.

Plus there is always the possibility that people might somehow disprove the prediction.

Cooper

Thanks in advance.
Imagine you took only 3 doses of Accutane at 16. And then those 3 doses causes sexual dysfunction, shrinks your testicles, numbs your penis, science does not even know what exactly is going on that you start to worry about your facial bone development and height which needs functioning androgen receptors...

Every time you pass from a mirror and see yourself, you can't let go of, ''What could have been without this drug.''

This is my life. I hope it makes you feel better in contrary to what you have read.

OP
Summer

Summer

Aaaaah I think I know what you are talking about.

Generally speaking, you can prepare for almost any event. Make steps to lessen its impact. But you need to know about it in advance.

And in the super rare cases of fatal events you really can't do absolutely nothing about, you can at least make sure you live your last days to the fullest.

Do things you always wanted to do, spend time with your loved ones, maybe take a nice vacation or something, be happy and try not to think about things you can't control, because it is not going to be helpful by definition.

And this is exactly what you should do, too.

So I see a lot of potential to enrich people lives by sharing the info.

Plus there is always the possibility that people might somehow disprove the prediction.
Yeah I need to be doing all of those things. Everyday I’m working towards an ideal state of living. Thanks for the advice.
Imagine you took only 3 doses of Accutane at 16. And then those 3 doses causes sexual dysfunction, shrinks your testicles, numbs your penis, science does not even know what exactly is going on that you start to worry about your facial bone development and height which needs functioning androgen receptors...

Every time you pass from a mirror and see yourself, you can't let go of, ''What could have been without this drug.''

This is my life. I hope it makes you feel better in contrary to what you have read.
I feel you on that. Sorry about your ordeal with accutane. Poisonous stuff.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals