My economical orange juice hack

Phaedrus

People often debate the merits of the various orange juice options - fresh squeezed, not-from-concentrate, or frozen concentrate. Okay, I’ll admit nobody claims that fresh squeezed doesn’t taste best; it just happens to be a lot of work and can be rather expensive. The frozen concentrate is by far the cheapest option but usually tastes worse than the fresh or bottled not-from-concentrate stuff.

My solution? I take a can of frozen orange juice concentrate (Aldi’s Nature’s Nectar in my opinion is the best tasting and also happens to be one of the cheaper ones out there), reconstitute it with water in my glass pitcher, then squeeze in the juice of just one or two oranges. Honestly, it does the trick for me. I get at least a hint of that fresh squeezed taste but at a fraction of the cost and effort.

I’d be curious if anyone else has tried this and what their thoughts are.

76er

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Do you know if Aldi's Nature's Nectar uses/has flavor crystals ?

newander

I've tried many frozen orange juices from chain stores and I agree Aldi taste the best. Most are bitter/sour tasting and Aldi is almost always sweet. It's also the cheapest that I have found.

I haven't tried your idea, but what I do is add the frozen oj to milk instead of water. Milk already makes me pee a lot and I don't think I need more fluid. Maybe I'm weird but I think it taste good.

Do you know if Aldi's Nature's Nectar uses/has flavor crystals ?

I wonder.

OP
Phaedrus

Phaedrus

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Do you know if Aldi's Nature's Nectar uses/has flavor crystals ?
I’m not sure if flavor crystals are the same as flavor packs, but according to the website toxinless.com the brand is free of flavor packs and enzymes used to dissolve pulp.

OP
Phaedrus

Phaedrus

I've tried many frozen orange juices from chain stores and I agree Aldi taste the best. Most are bitter/sour tasting and Aldi is almost always sweet. It's also the cheapest that I have found.

I haven't tried your idea, but what I do is add the frozen oj to milk instead of water. Milk already makes me pee a lot and I don't think I need more fluid. Maybe I'm weird but I think it taste good.

I wonder.
I can see it being good with milk. I guess I have made breakfast shakes in the blender with the frozen OJ and milk.

YamnayaMommy

Does your aldi carry the organic not from concentrate OJ? That is hands down the best OJ around. When it’s stocked, I never leave with fewer than four containers.

I also like their concentrate, but found that they increased the pulp sometime last year. I strain it in a sieve and use it for orange gelatin etc.

YamnayaMommy

Also, Aldi’s specially selected vanilla ice cream has no gum or weird stuff. It’s excellent.

If only they carried beef liver, smoked oysters in olive oil rather than cottonseed, and better flour.

OP
Phaedrus

Phaedrus

Also, Aldi’s specially selected vanilla ice cream has no gum or weird stuff. It’s excellent.

If only they carried beef liver, smoked oysters in olive oil rather than cottonseed, and better flour.
I can’t say I’ve tried their organic OJ, but I’ll look for it next time. I love their special select ice cream! Vanilla, chocolate, and coffee are all good. The other Aldi product I buy a lot is their Irish (grass fed) butter.

RealNeat

People often debate the merits of the various orange juice options - fresh squeezed, not-from-concentrate, or frozen concentrate. Okay, I’ll admit nobody claims that fresh squeezed doesn’t taste best; it just happens to be a lot of work and can be rather expensive. The frozen concentrate is by far the cheapest option but usually tastes worse than the fresh or bottled not-from-concentrate stuff.

My solution? I take a can of frozen orange juice concentrate (Aldi’s Nature’s Nectar in my opinion is the best tasting and also happens to be one of the cheaper ones out there), reconstitute it with water in my glass pitcher, then squeeze in the juice of just one or two oranges. Honestly, it does the trick for me. I get at least a hint of that fresh squeezed taste but at a fraction of the cost and effort.

I’d be curious if anyone else has tried this and what their thoughts are.
Just in time, I'm going there tomorrow, will pick up.

I do the cascadian farms organic orange frozen concentrate because at least it says organic natural flavors, instead of hidden mystery flavor packs.

I always buffer my oj with baking soda and add more sugar, it's just not good by itself.

OJ destroys teeth, beware, it is a wrecking ball if not buffered. Eating cheese afterwards helps.

Also, if not drinking fresh squeezed the vitamin C is likely oxidized from pasteurization. Having a fresh source of ascorbic acid in the diet seems important regardless of dehydroascorbic acid.

Frozen concentrate seems to do better on vitamin C tests (than ready to drink not fresh) Frozen OJ richer source of Vitamin C?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals