Orange Juice Options For Canadians

mrchibbs

I've been drinking Oasis Premium juice for over a year now. It tastes quite watered down so I've been adding 7 table spoons of sugar to each bottle so that it feels like I'm at least getting a substantial amount of carbs from it, and not just mediocre watered down juice. I've also been adding baking soda to each bottle in the hopes that it makes the juice easier on my teeth.

Question: Do any Canadians use a juice press to make their own fresh juice? Or would investing in a juice press be a laughable thing to do, due to the low quality and over priced produce that we have access too up here.

@DrJ, what brand of concentrate orange juice have you been drinking? It would be nice if there was a decent brand of concentrated orange that we had access too.

I have a juice press, but I struggle with figuring out when is the right time of the year for sweet oranges. Most of the time the oranges I get are not sweet at all and it's basically worthless if the juice isn't sweet.

Inaut

I rotate between metro’s brand of OJ (concentrate) and oasis. What I’ve been doing lately is juicing 5 or 6 clementines and adding that to the OJ with sugar, baking soda and collagen. It’s delicious ?

OP
J

johnsmith

I have a juice press, but I struggle with figuring out when is the right time of the year for sweet oranges. Most of the time the oranges I get are not sweet at all and it's basically worthless if the juice isn't sweet.
Thanks. I've heard Danny Roddy say how much he enjoys his high quality Jupiter juice press. My first thoughts were that getting one could really improve the quality of my diet, but unfortunately that might not be the case. I need more carbs in my diet! I don't do well on starch and this makes getting enough carbs difficult. Buying frozen fruit and making smoothies out of it is a pretty good way for Canadians to get decent quality fruit in their diet at a good price. Frozen blueberries, cherries, raspberries, and sometimes strawberries tend to be quite ripe.

Happy Planet is another OJ brand that's available in Canada and doesn't use flavor packs. It tastes better than Oasis Premium but it's quite expensive. It's normally around $6 or more for 1.75L of it.

OP
J

johnsmith

I rotate between metro’s brand of OJ (concentrate) and oasis. What I’ve been doing lately is juicing 5 or 6 clementines and adding that to the OJ with sugar, baking soda and collagen. It’s delicious ?
Wow, thanks! I'm definitely going to try that out.

OP
J

johnsmith

@Inaut, I'm guessing you add the collagen to each bottle and that it wouldn't cause the juice to spoil fast, would it?

Inaut

@Inaut, I'm guessing you add the collagen to each bottle and that it wouldn't cause the juice to spoil fast, would it?
No I always make it fresh. Have about two pints a day. How I start my morning and then when I get home after workout.

mrchibbs

Thanks. I've heard Danny Roddy say how much he enjoys his high quality Jupiter juice press. My first thoughts were that getting one could really improve the quality of my diet, but unfortunately that might not be the case. I need more carbs in my diet! I don't do well on starch and this makes getting enough carbs difficult. Buying frozen fruit and making smoothies out of it is a pretty good way for Canadians to get decent quality fruit in their diet at a good price. Frozen blueberries, cherries, raspberries, and sometimes strawberries tend to be quite ripe.

Happy Planet is another OJ brand that's available in Canada and doesn't use flavor packs. It tastes better than Oasis Premium but it's quite expensive. It's normally around $6 or more for 1.75L of it.

He lives in Mexico though. Oranges are basically always sweet and juicy there, so it's really a completely different ball game.

DrJ

@johnsmith I use Safeway brand (grocery store here). I found it by trying several brands and then choosing the sweetest.

OP
J

johnsmith

@DrJ, thanks, I'll try that brand out.

Does anyone have a decent juicer recommendation for Canadians? My hunch is that getting a high quality Jupiter juice press would be a bit excessive for a Canadian to do, due to our low quality produce supply, but I'm excited to try adding a clementine to each cup of store bought OJ that I pour. Maybe there's a smaller and cheaper juice press device that would suffice?

somuch4food

Orange juice in Canada is mostly sour, even from fresh pressed oranges. If it's not sweet it's not worth it in my opinion.
Get good quality concentrate, without enzymes or additives (Orange juices with/without flavor packs and pulp-dissolving enzymes - Toxinless)
and go with it. Oasis organic would be ok it seems.

Here in Quebec, we've had some very sweet, high quality apple juice for the past couple of years. I've done better with that. The only time I do well with fresh oranges here is during high summer.
What's the brand of apple juice you buy?

Oasis Premium seems to make me feel good enough. Very different feel from Tropicana.

According to Dan @ Toxinless, Lassonde Oasis don't use flavour packs or enzymes but a Marketplace episode from 2015 (CBC consumer report show) seemed to suggest that Oasis did use some flavour packs. I might email Lassonde myself to make sure the story isn't different in the U.S. vs. Canada.
I also settled on Oasis as the best.

Flash

Is Oasis still the best option in Canada if fr
How does the metro orange juice taste compared to oasis?

Inaut

Is Oasis still the best option in Canada if fr

How does the metro orange juice taste compared to oasis?
I definitely prefer oasis and will buy it every time if I had the choice.

mrchibbs

I definitely prefer oasis and will buy it every time if I had the choice.

Me too, Oasis is still good. It doesn't compare to fresh, sweet OJ but it does taste more natural than other brands and is easy to drink

Inaut

Costco sells a brand of OJ called Grown Right Organic Orange Juice. It is pleasantly sweet and comes in a two pack. It can be found in the beverage section (not refrigerated) and is only like $7 bucks.

Flash

Costco sells a brand of OJ called Grown Right Organic Orange Juice. It is pleasantly sweet and comes in a two pack. It can be found in the beverage section (not refrigerated) and is only like $7 bucks.
I’ve never seen that. What part of Canada is that available?

mrchibbs

Nice find! I'll check it out at my local costco.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals