Orange juice and milk?

montmorency

On the face of it, it might seem that orange juice mixed with milk might be a winning combination, but I'd vaguely remembered that they were likely to curdle. I tried it anyway.

The first small glass seemed fine, but the second one showed definite evidence of curdling.
It tasted fine, however.

What do people think? Is there any nutritional loss due to the curdling?

(This happened to be "whole" (3.6%) milk, pasteurised, homogenised, and "not from concentrate" (but not freshly squeezed) orange juice).

4peatssake

montmorency said:
On the face of it, it might seem that orange juice mixed with milk might be a winning combination, but I'd vaguely remembered that they were likely to curdle. I tried it anyway.

The first small glass seemed fine, but the second one showed definite evidence of curdling.
It tasted fine, however.

What do people think? Is there any nutritional loss due to the curdling?

(This happened to be "whole" (3.6%) milk, pasteurised, homogenised, and "not from concentrate" (but not freshly squeezed) orange juice).
I drink oj and milk together as a smoothie all the time. I love it. (I drink 1% milk)
Sometimes I combine them in my blendtec and it froths up nicely and is very light. Occasionally I'll add a TB of coconut oil or gelatin. More often than not, I just fill up a mason jar and shake it.

Lately, I've been adding a little organic cream to it and that makes it really yummy and creamy. I do about a half and half combination of oj and milk.

I used to add table sugar because my body needed the extra sugar, now it doesn't.

Asimov

Milk and OJ + vanilla extract and powdered sugar is pretty much the "secret" recipe for orange julius. The key to prevent it from curdling is that they use partially frozen orange juice. Quite Peat.

And even if it curdles, there's no nutritional loss. Curdling is just the separate of a emulsion (suspended mixture of fats and liquids). If the milk fats and the milk liquids separate, they still exist in the same glass, just in a less appetizing layered format.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals