Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Can Be Caused Quite Easily By Change In Hormones

HDD

I know of 2x MS ppl who religiously avoid the sun b/c it triggers their MS symptoms.. interesting!

I have experienced extreme fatigue from the heat while washing cars. This was when I was recovering from an exacerbation. Usually, I sit in the sun in water (beach or swimming pool) to not overheat. Heat intolerance is also a hypothyroid symptom.

Amazoniac

All patients must discontinue eating or drinking dairy products or calcium enriched foods or beverages. Complete restriction is critical! This includes foods that are formed by milk, cheese, cheese spread, yogurt, curdled milk, cream of milk, caramel, milk pudding, condensed milk.
It only reinforces the suspicion that higher doses of supplemental vit D can be dangerous in the presence of dairy.
Mashed potato, breads, cakes, biscuits as well as butter and margarine need to be eliminated.
I just opened his protocol and the only reason why these foods were mentioned was because they include dairy in their preparation, but he stated that they shouldn't be eliminated.

Lucenzo01

It only reinforces the suspicion that higher doses of supplemental vit D can be dangerous in the presence of dairy.

I just opened his protocol and the only reason why these foods were mentioned was because they include dairy in their preparation, but he stated that they shouldn't be eliminated.

It's possible that one of the mechanisms of the protocol is starve the intestinal flora of calcium. Such an increase in vitamin D plus the calcium restriction would dramatically reduce bacterial and fungal count. I'm more.convinced by the day that the vast majority of chronic illness are caused by infections.

Amazoniac

It's possible that one of the mechanisms of the protocol is starve the intestinal flora of calcium. Such an increase in vitamin D plus the calcium restriction would dramatically reduce bacterial and fungal count. I'm more.convinced by the day that the vast majority of chronic illness are caused by infections.
Rayzord already mentioned that dairy, as long as it has some fat or bile is stimulated, forms the sterilizing calcium soaps in the intestines. So its avoidance is to prevent calcium toxicity.
Regarding MS having an infectious component, I don't doubt. Especially because people improve using vitamins A and D, which are also immunomodulatory.
Multiple Sclerosis And Other Hormone-Related Brain Syndromes
@Travis (bcm-7)

Travis

Myelin is made from pregnenolone, progesterone, and phospholipids. Anything that upregulates steroid production sounds like it would be protective.

I am actually reading about this right now. Daniel Perl and others were finding high aluminum concentrations in the nerves of multiple sclerosis patients. This does make sense, and aluminum is naturally attracted to phosphorous in the body—a fact that makes the hyperphosphorylated τ a prime target.

But I can see how statins could contribute, by interfering with cholesterol production. I think nearly all cases, avoiding aluminum and statins should prevent this from happening. There is some science behind the BMAA hypothesis but it's starting to look more and more like a diversion—logical in itself but serving to detract attention from the role aluminum plays in this. It would seem as if the only theories which can become popular are those which don't implicate powerful industries, and it wouldn't surprise me if ALCOA was indirectly funding the "safer" studies (from their perspective.)

Aluminum is everywhere and should perhaps be public enemy #1. Unlike things like PUFA, or even iron, aluminum serves absolutely no useful function and is easy to avoid.

But lipotoxin is a lipid, and might be expected to accumulate around myelin. I can see how it could cause inflammation in that area.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Attachments

• coimbra_s-guide-for-patients-on-high-doses-d3-english-version.pdf
    100.8 KB · Views: 11

Dezertfox

If you ask a neurologist she/he will tell you that nobody knows the cause of MS, and if you ask about the role of hormones the doctor will probably give you blank stare and flatly deny that they have a causative or therapeutic role (except for cortisol as acute treatment). Ray, on the other hand, has written extensively on the role of various hormones and especially estrogen in the pathology of MS and their causative role.
This study shows rapid development of MS after surgery to remove a tumor overproducing cortisol and androgens (T and androstenedione (A)). In metabolic medicine circles it is well know that androgens are protective factors for MS and a small unpublished trial in Romania showed that DHT can completely stop the disease in males. The Romanian study was based on this animal study.
Dihydrotestosterone as a Protective Agent in Chronic Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis. - PubMed - NCBI

Rheumatoid arthritis and Lupus are other "autoimmune" diseases characterized by low androgens, and trials with DHEA for both have been very promising. If the trials had used stronger androgens like DHT or androstanedione they would have been blockbuster success but I'd settle with at least a change in the right direction for now.
Are women with Sjögren's syndrome androgen-deficient? - PubMed - NCBI
The etiology of rheumatoid arthritis. - PubMed - NCBI
Plasma dehydroepiandrosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate and androsterone sulphate levels and their interaction with plasma proteins in rheum... - PubMed - NCBI
Anyways, after surgery to remove the tumor and consequent normalization of levels of cortisol, T and A the woman developed MS after 6 months. Now, given that the tumor was also overproducing cortisol we cannot say definitively that the lowered androgens was the cause of MS development. But the authors think that at the very least the link between hormones and MS is quite obviously causative.

A unique case of a benign adrenocortical tumor with triple secretion of cortisol, androgens, and aldosterone: development of multiple sclerosis aft... - PubMed - NCBI

"...We present a 39-year old female with a benign adrenal tumor characterized by autonomous secretion of cortisol, androgens, and aldosterone. The patient presented with a 4-year history of hypertension and severe hirsutism. Baseline investigations revealed elevated testosterone, androstendione, and 17OH progesterone with normal levels of dehydroepi androsterone sulfate. CT of the adrenals revealed a 2.5 x 3.0 cm tumor with characteristics of an adenoma on the left adrenal gland. Pelvic ultrasound was normal. Further investigations revealed suppressed basal ACTH levels, loss of diurnal rhythm of cortisol, and failure to suppress on low dose dexamethasone suppression test, suggesting autonomous cortisol secretion by the tumor. She had an exaggerated response of 17OH progesterone to ACTH, implying reduced 21-hydroxylase activity. An elevated plasma aldosterone concentration to plasma renin activity ratio was suggestive of hyperaldosteronism, which was confirmed by failure of aldosterone to suppress to a formal saline infusion test. Complete clinical and biochemical remission of the disease was observed after left adrenalectomy. Histology confirmed the presence of an adrenocortical adenoma. The patient developed multiple sclerosis 6 months after the operation. The flare-up of an autoimmune disease (multiple sclerosis) postoperatively could be coincidental or possibly related to the high normalization of the high cortisol levels acting as a precipitating factor."

In this case is it safe or harmful to suppress DHEAS with something like dexomethasone?

Hugh Johnson

@Peat's sake I was diagnosed with ms in 1988. My worst symptoms seemed to be at high estrogen/low thyroid times. From reading Peat and this forum, it seems that progesterone knocks estrogen out of the cell to be eliminated. Women that have an increase in estrogen symptoms from taking progesterone usually need higher doses at first. Using thyroid before supplementing progesterone can also prevent symptoms since thyroid will lower your estrogen. How long have you been taking tyromix? Are you tracking temperature and pulse? If I notice any "ms" symptoms, I pay closer attention to my diet and I will use various supplements. I am not very consistent in supplementing, so a little numbness or pain gets my attention. Things I take now: t3, progesterone, vitamin d, a, k, energin (b's), aspirin, Benadryl. I have used many other Peaty supps over the past few years. Pregnenolone and progesterone are good for helping with higher stress. I used to take Epsom salt baths regularly, I supplement magnesium glycinate on occasion. I really don't consider myself as having ms now. I believe my symptoms were/are low thyroid/estrogen related. My worst symptoms since finding Ray Peat were left leg and arm weakness and pain. I had not been eating well for several days and the weather was cold. I took my temperature in the afternoon and it was 96.4. This verified that my ms was thyroid related. You are on the right track for your health! Have you read Ray Peat's MS articles?
You may have done this already, but if you haven't check out Andrew K Fletcher's Incline Bed Therapy.

HDD

You may have done this already, but if you haven't check out Andrew K Fletcher's Incline Bed Therapy.
Thank you, yes, we did this many years ago. I don’t recall where I read about it back then. I wasn’t having significant symptoms at that time and don’t recall how long we did it or if it made a difference. I now have a huge king size bed that would be difficult to adjust but I might revisit this if my husband can figure out a way and is willing. Thanks!

Astolfo

What if pssd or pfs may be related to this? I had looked up to ms symptoms and I can say that I have all of them. The worst, it progressively worsening since 10 months. It’s sure that my hormone levels disturbed after the both fluoxetine and saw palmetto.

If I can balance my hormones again, could I reverse that problem too?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
In this case is it safe or harmful to suppress DHEAS with something like dexomethasone?

In most people it would be harmful unless their DHEA levels are in the upper 75% of the range. Cortisol blocks synthesis of most beneficial neurosteroids. There are several studies showing DHT blocks MS development in mice, and since DHEA is a major DHT precursor in humans blocking its synthesis with glucocorticoids is likely to be harmful. The glucocorticoid do not cure anything, they just mask the symptoms while making the underlying pathology much worse.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals