T

tca300

Screenshot_20181205-164045.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Kartoffel

@CLASH @tca300

I never really like the old paleo argument that apes and other plant eaters really eat a high-fat diet. First, I think no one has really ever measured how much of the fatty acids are available for metabolism outside the colon. Second, the fatty acids produced by bacteria will be mostly short-chain saturated fatty acids that are metabolized very differently from the fatty acids that a high-fat diet yields for other mammals that get their fat from prey or cultivation. Animal saturated fat is mostly 16:0 and 18:0 while fermentation fat will be mostly 1:0-5:0. In humans, excess butyric acid and other SCFA (especially valeric acid) in the blood are closely linked to a variety of degenerative diseases, especially autism.

CLASH

@Kartoffel
In the absence of accounting for those fatty acids, i’m pretty sure these large animals would be considered to be eating starvation level diets in terms of overall calories. So I dont think they can be ignored.

Now the metabolism may be a different story. I think, if i remember correctly, the animals, atleast ruminants elongate the fatty acids in thier liver. I could be wrong, i have to go back to check but i’m pretty sure some is converted to glucose like propionate and others are elongated.

The high SCFA’s in blood could be indicative of bacterial overgrowth in those states with a host of other variables, especially autism, as opposed to a directly damaging effect of the scfa’s themselves. Similar to elevated cholesterol with heart disease.

Elize

If glucose is the issue to covert T4 to T3. Could we take our thyroid meds with fruit juice rather than with water?

Kelj

Ceramides are mostly made from (or rather with) PUFA, and not saturated fat. I searched for "ceramides" in that Minger article, and it doesn't appear once.
What essentially all of those countries have in common is that they are "third world" or developing countries with low total fat and calorie intake, I don't understand how that can lead to the conclusion that saturated fat has anything to do with MS. It's safe to assume that a low fat diet is generally a good idea, given the fats that people normally eat.

According to Wikipedia: Average calories:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_food_energy_intak

St. Vincent: 2,860
St. Lucia: 2,710
Uzbekistan: 2,560
Japan: 2,800
S. Korea: 3,040
Philippines: 2,580
Sao Tome: 2,660
Belize: 2,710
Mauritius: 2,930
Vanuatu: 2,950
Brunei: 2,980
Solomon Islands: 2,400
Kyrgyzstan: 2,660
Congo: 2,570
Uganda: 2,220
Kiribati: 2,820
Malaysia: 2,890
Egypt: 3,160
Morocco: 3,260
Gabon: 2,710
Zambia: 1,880
Maldives: 2,550
Samoa: 2,890
Sudan: 2,280
Liberia: 2,200
Kenya: 2,030
Rwanda: 2,090
Guinea-Bissau: 2,270
Madagascar: 2,130
Burundi: 1,680
Timor-Leste: 2,020
Indonesia: 2,550
Botswana: 2,230
Fiji: 3,000
Jamaica: 2,840
Ethiopia: 1 950
Central Africa: 1,960
Malawi: 2,150
China: 2,990
Tanzania: 2,020
Senegal: 2,280
Namibia: 2,360
Vietnam: 2,780
Mozambique: 2,070
Niger: 2,390
Azerbaijan: 3,020

However, Wikipedia has this to say about these amounts:

"However the actual food consumption may be lower than the quantity shown as food availability depending on the magnitude of wastage and losses of food in the household, e.g. during storage, in preparation and cooking, as plate-waste or quantities fed to domestic animals and pets, thrown or given away.[2]"

The 3,800 calories available to Americans is reduced by the 30-40% wasted, America being one of the biggest food wasting countries. If we reduce 3,800 by the lower number: 30% that gives us: 2,660 calories consumed by Americans at most, on average....the same as Kyrgyzstan and Sao Tome, for example, but, of course, we don't know how much they waste. Those statistics are harder to find. Less than Americans? I'd wager.

So, can the case be made that you won't get MS if you eat less calories? I don't think so. MS symptoms ate seen in those undereating calories as shown in this letter to doctors from this site:

Dear Doctor: Your patient has an eating disorder.

"before you get tripped up with all the common misdiagnoses (PCOS, IBS, anemia, MS, hypothyroidism (both antibody-driven and not), and etc.), here are some data to help you rule in or out the causative impact of an eating disorder:"

I also don't think, looking at this list of countries with low incidence of MS, that we can say they represent low fat intake, in general.

jet9

I said essentially all of them, and, yes, China is a developing country, and tens of millions of rural inhabitants eat very little fat. Swank used a low saturated fat diet because he used a low fat diet, and his success is rather badly documented, which is why nobody acknowledges his "results". The Burr studies already showed that EFA "deficiency" caused a drastic reduction of skin ceramides, and that feeding them n-6 restored their levels. Mind you, the "saturated" fat in the study below is lard.

Saturated- and n-6 Polyunsaturated-Fat Diets Each Induce Ceramide Accumulation in Mouse Skeletal Muscle: Reversal and Improvement of Glucose Tolerance by Lipid Metabolism Inhibitors
Great find!

HumanLife

The lip balm I use has ceramide. I don’t eat it of course so it shouldn’t be that bad?

Vinny

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals