• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Methionine In A Modern Context - Needed?

Re.Generate

Hey guys - just so y’all know from the start I won’t be posting studies etc as here with kiddies and little time - just checking for thoughts and opinions - would be especially interested in what @haidut might think

so - methionine - definitely inflammation promoting, aging etc etc etc - not trying to disagree with that as a general point.

however - what about in a more modern context where we are surrounded by toxins and estrogens and the like, often building in the body over years for instance?

I ask because, as far as I understand it, methionine is required for the livers major detox processes - especially of estrogen- which I imagine to be much of the problem some people have with raising temps, water retention, detox, progesterone, thyroid etc - metabolism is increased and estrogen in pushed out of cells etc, but currently the liver is not at a point of health wherein the detoxification of these things are actually possible - thus leaving more toxins and estrogens floating round potentially causing problems.

now though long term as shown in various studies methionine restriction seems to be highly beneficial - but what about in these high toxin load cases? - could there not be an argument there for either supplementing extra methionine, or at least not blocking the hell out of it with glycine, collagen, NCAAW etc, for at least a time so that the detoxification systems can actually work full out to get rid of these things?

and after that, when the estrogens and others are removed, later taking the methionine out - or maybe just using some or ceasing it’s blocking for maybe like a week a month?

just some thoughts and wanting to find the correct context for all these things rather than approaching from a black and white place.

cheers - harry

MilenaLex

Hi Harry,
My thoughts about Methionine are very similar as yours. I'm struggling high toxins load bcs of Lyme disease that get mess up so many function in my body not only thyroid.
So I'm surviving and get progress thru experiments what work and don't work in my case.
One of the huge problems I fight is insomnia. I have tried everything believe or not included all Ray Peat recommendation. However 500mg L-Methionine is the best solution for me the last several months. I tried with and without Methionine. Definitely I have got deep good sleep with Methionine before bed. And wake up fresh and ready for the day. It helps my liver to detox. Also Benfotiamin add to this detoxication process and infrared sauna.
Thank you for sharing ❤️!
Best regards,
Milena

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Methionine Restriction - Ray homers again! Weight 8
Jam Selenium supplementation inhibits IGF-1 signaling and confers methionine restriction-like healthspan benefits to mice Scientific Studies 1
E How Do You Restrict Methionine? Protein 15
V Foods With A Good Glycine / Methionine Ratio Diet 1
Hans The Peat Ratio Of Foods (Glycine Vs Methionine, Cysteine And Tryptophan) Discussing Dietary Models 34
C L-Methionine + L-theanine Male Issues 0
_lppaiva Fructose Exacerbates Hepatocellular Injury In Methionine-Choline Deficient Diets Scientific Studies 16
A Dietary Methionine Restriction Improves Thyroid Function Scientific Studies 2
Mito Balancing Methionine And Glycine Amino Acids 8
Terma Comprehensive Profiling Of Amino Acid Response Uncovers Methionine-Deprived Response. Creatine Scientific Studies 5
N L-methionine Vs SAMe Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
A Dr. Pfeiffer Advice On Lower Histamine, Controversial? L-Methionine Ask For Help or Advice 1
johnwester130 Eggs Are Low In Methionine, Tryptophan And Cystine Diet, Recipes 16
Terma Effect Of Taurine And N-acetylcysteine On Methionine Restriction-mediated Adiposity Resistance Scientific Studies 12
sugarbabe Methionine Ask For Help or Advice 17
Luann Not Low Carb, But Lack Of Choline And Methionine, Cause Keto Success Discussing Dietary Models 14
D Taurine, A Product Of Methionine And Cysteine Taurine 10
NathanK Taurine Blocks Methionine Absorption Scientific Studies 15
Hugh Johnson The Effect Of Ethanol On One-carbon Metabolism: Increased Methionine Catabolism And Lipotrope Methyl Articles & Scientific Studies 0
P Dietary methionine restriction increases fat oxidation in obese adults with metabolic syndrome. Articles & Scientific Studies 2
P Methionine toxicity in the rat in relation to hepatic accumulation of S-adenosylmethionine: preventi Scientific Studies 3
haidut Dietary Glycine Supplementation Mimics Lifespan Extension By Dietary Methionine Restriction Scientific Studies 50
haidut Methionine Depletion Autism 16
sibyloftherhine The Degeneration of Modern Man: Quotes from Saint-Exupéry Written in 1943 that Perfectly Describe the Present Miscellaneous 13
rhythmvortex Modern milk supply a source of Hormone Disrupting Chemicals Milk 25
Mito Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency B1 39
GelatinGoblin Is the US modern-day sodom and gomorrah? Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 0
noqcks Modern Science Is A Sham (more Often Than Not) Society 8
michael94 Money Creation In The Modern Economy ( Friendly Reminder ) Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 11
B Were The 60s 70s And 80s The Peak Of Modern Society? Society 45
Nokoni Intro To Modern Science Of Immune Function Vaccines 0
R Do You Think Supernormal-stimuli And The Modern Lifestyle Is Messing Up People's Dopamine Systems? Health 2
milkboi Success In The Modern World Vs. Getting/Being Healthy Ask For Help or Advice 49
J What Modern Fruits Are Closest To Wild Fruits ? (high Glucose / Low Sucrose) Fruits 12
jzeno Just Want To Stress The Variety Of Quality In Modern Processed Foods And The Potential Danger Additives 3
Tenacity Stopping The 'stress Syndrome' - How Can We Make Modern Life Less Stressful? Miscellaneous 18
ken David Healys Blog, His Observations An The State Of Modern Medicine Mental Issues 0
R "It Is Impossible To Describe The Ravages That Modern Feminism Has Worked In The Modern World" Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 16
yerrag MMT- Modern Monetary Theory And Bernie Sanders Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 8
DaveFoster Depression, Isolation, And The Modern World Mental Issues 42
S Modern Anesthetic Theory Admits It's Not All About Lock & Key Articles & Scientific Studies 0
uuy8778yyi are chia seeds another modern day con ? Supplements 1
B Modern Diet Myth No. 3: Seed oils cause heart disease Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 25
Amazoniac Consideration about modern produce Miscellaneous Health Discussions 4
LucyL Problems with Modern Healthcare Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 1
haidut Protein dilution in modern foods may be cause of obesity Scientific Studies 1
Rachel Modern Medical Interpretation of Stress Miscellaneous Health Discussions 5
F Your experience with coffee/caffeine in context of hypothyroidism? Ask For Help or Advice 15
S-VV Anti-Peat Stress Hormones in Context Debate - Anti-Peat 15
GelatinGoblin Help Regarding Comprehending Neurosteroids In The Context Of Ray Peat Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4