Testosterone and androgens increase, estrogen lowers Taurine

Mauritio

A big part of the taurine in our body comes from our bodies synthesizing it from the amino acids methionine and cysteine via different enzymes. Peat has often talked about the harmfull effects of those two amnino acids in particular. In contrast, he had more good things to say about the amino acids glycine and taurine.

Now this study shows that Testosterone and other androgens increase one of the enzymes in the reaction from cysteine to taurine, so basically you get less cysteine and more taurine.
This increase was dependant on the androgen receptor so other androgen agonists should be able to do the same.

"This study demonstrates that testosterone functions to enhance taurine synthesis by interacting with androgen receptor and binding to cysteine sulfinate decarboxylase (CSAD) promoter zone."

Testosterone enhances the conversion of cysteinesulfinate to hypotaurine via increasing cysteine sulfinate decarboxylase:
Screenshot 2023-07-16 11.52.03.png

- Testosterone enhances taurine synthesis by upregulating androgen receptor and cysteine sulfinic acid decarboxylase expressions in male mouse liver - PubMed

In the above study they didn't find estrogen had any effect but in an older study they showed that estrogen had the exact opposite effect mediated via the estrogen receptor. So as often androgens and estrogens have antagonistic effects.

"These results indicate that estradiol decreases taurine content by reducing taurine biosynthetic enzyme expression in mice liver."
- Estradiol decreases taurine level by reducing cysteine sulfinic acid decarboxylase via the estrogen receptor-α in female mice liver - PubMed

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

At least in fish a progesterone metabolite is able to increase the first enzyme in the cysteine--> taurine reaction: cysteine dioxygenase (CDO).

" These results suggest that DHP promotes taurine synthesis via the up-regulation of CDO1 mRNA expression during eel spermatogenesis"

- The synthesis and role of taurine in the Japanese eel testis - PubMed

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Here's a great summary on Taurine's pro-testosterone, pro-fertility effects.
I seriously think taurine is one of the best things for male reproductive health. It protects against all kinds of stresses and poisons, it increases Testosterone and steroidogenic enzymes, it has anti-fibrotic effects on the penis, it increases libido and sperm health,... there is even some studies showing transgenerational benefits on the offspring of animals who received taurine.

- The role of taurine in male reproduction: Physiology, pathology and toxicology

Steed

Here's a great summary on Taurine's pro-testosterone, pro-fertility effects.
I seriously think taurine is one of the best things for male reproductive health. It protects against all kinds of stresses and poisons, it increases Testosterone and steroidogenic enzymes, it has anti-fibrotic effects on the penis, it increases libido and sperm health,... there is even some studies showing transgenerational benefits on the offspring of animals who received taurine.

- The role of taurine in male reproduction: Physiology, pathology and toxicology
Interesting posts, intriguing how the AR basically antogonizes cysteine levels. How much taurine have you had success with and you think is safe?

Peatress

Thanks @Mauritio

I remember reading this article a few years ago and only thought about it again after reading this thread

Women are more at risk for a taurine deficiency because of the presence of female hormones that restrict the production of taurine within the body. Normally, reasonable amounts of taurine are synthesized in the human body from cysteine. The female hormone, estradiol, depresses the formation of taurine in the liver. Women who are on estrogen replacement, birth control pills, or are suffering from excessive estrogen may need extra taurine.20-25

Beatrix_

Review Amino Acids. 2000;19(2):409-21. doi: 10.1007/s007260070020.

Taurine as a universal carrier of lipid soluble vitamins: a hypothesis

Abstract
In the literature taurine is characterized as a non-specific growth or blood clotting factor, an antioxidant, a membrane protector, or a regulator of calcium ion homeostasis, just as vitamins A, D, E, F, and K are similarly characterized. On the basis of recent finding concerning the relationship between taurine and the aldehyde of vitamin A-retinal (Petrosian and Haroutounian, 1988, 1998; Petrosian et al., 1996), as well as on the basis of data from the literature, we now suggest a hypothesis that taurine promotes the bioavailability of the lipid soluble vitamins A, D, E, K, and F, probably by forming different types of water soluble, easily hydrolyzable complexes. It is quite possible that the ability of taurine to convert lipids and lipid soluble substances into a water soluble state is the key to understanding the unusually wide diversity of biological phenomena associated with taurine. This form of delivery may be an additional, secondary mechanism for the transport of lipid soluble vitamins, which was probably acquired early in evolution, and remains extremely important for mammals and humans directly after birth for a variety of physiological functions such as: vision in normal and in emergency situations, rapid blood clotting, sperm eruption, and situations requiring a prompt consumption of lipid soluble vitamins characteristic of excitable systems. Clearly, the role of taurine in the physiology of the water insoluble vitamins remains an enigma and is worthy of further investigations.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Interesting posts, intriguing how the AR basically antogonizes cysteine levels. How much taurine have you had success with and you think is safe?
Yeah Peat right again.
Im using small amounts like 500mg or less but only because it lowers cortisol so much. I think its very safe, although ive seen a study in vitro where higher doses had a negative or no effect on Testosterone.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Thanks @Mauritio

I remember reading this article a few years ago and only thought about it again after reading this thread

Women are more at risk for a taurine deficiency because of the presence of female hormones that restrict the production of taurine within the body. Normally, reasonable amounts of taurine are synthesized in the human body from cysteine. The female hormone, estradiol, depresses the formation of taurine in the liver. Women who are on estrogen replacement, birth control pills, or are suffering from excessive estrogen may need extra taurine.20-25
Good article, the candida part was also interesting.

Peat has often talked about how women have more liver problems because of higher estrogen. The higher estrogen will also cause lower taurine, which will exacerbate the liver problems, which will in turn increase estrogen. The opposite is true for testosterone (and other androgens.)

Steed

Yeah Peat right again.
Im using small amounts like 500mg or less but only because it lowers cortisol so much. I think its very safe, although ive seen a study in vitro where higher doses had a negative or no effect on Testosterone.
Yes, he was the man. I usually use 1 gram or so in my pre training drink, I have not had any ill effects except a couple of years ago where I was leaking bilirubin, but it disappeared after that happened a few times. More bile salts probably dissolved some bilirubin residues in my intestine. Of course always concerned by amino acid imbalances, something Peat stressed once in a while.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Yes, he was the man. I usually use 1 gram or so in my pre training drink, I have not had any ill effects except a couple of years ago where I was leaking bilirubin, but it disappeared after that happened a few times. More bile salts probably dissolved some bilirubin residues in my intestine. Of course always concerned by amino acid imbalances, something Peat stressed once in a while.
I would be more concerned with mineral balance as taurine has been shown to affect them. Copper beeing the main one I identified. I think many issues people have with taurine (like insomnia) is related to low copper. After i started taurine my sleep got very bad and not refreshing, introducing calf liver back into my diet seems to help a lot. I still have to get the ratio and timing right.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

@Beatrix_ Wow, what an interesting paper. I didnt know that taurine could make fat-solbule vitamins , water soluble by forming a bond with them! So it look like :

- Taurine deficincy can cause severe eye (retinal) damage / functional vitmain A deficiency --> lack of water soluble taurin-vitamin A in the eye ?

- Taurine has been shown to be strong anti-oxidant, this might be partly due to its bond with vitamin E ,thus making it water soluble and able to get to places where it couldnt get to before

Peatress

I would be more concerned with mineral balance as taurine has been shown to affect them. Copper beeing the main one I identified. I think many issues people have with taurine (like insomnia) is related to low copper. After i started taurine my sleep got very bad and not refreshing, introducing calf liver back into my diet seems to help a lot. I still have to get the ratio and timing right.
Would oysters be a good source of copper or is it too high in zinc?

Osukhan

ive been taking taurine at night for almost a year now, i dont think ive had any sleep issues...
ill try some pre workout as well sometime this week

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Would oysters be a good source of copper or is it too high in zinc?
From my experience they are good. I'm getting the same hair, skin and nails effect that I get from a copper supplement or calf liver .

Dawid

Yeah Peat right again.
I've seen a study where 5g had best impact on testosterone level. 500mg is too little I thing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals