Low thyroid and food sensitivities?

tommyg130

All the foods I am craving, and can feel speeding up metabolism, improving body comp.. then cause acute food reactions on the backend 20 min later. Irritability. Get absolutely toasted by the sun even if it’s not that hot out. Burning skin, poor tooth health, Basically fruit. Sugar, milk,carbs in general.

When I eat my temp goes to like 99.0 for 5 min and then drops to 95.9 30 min later. Clearly I’m hypo and need the sugar and feel good upon eating it, but shortly after I feel worse as my body isn’t able too assimilate and process the sugar properly.

If I try to go mostly carnivoreish I feel calm, no food reactions, but it’s like I’m in slow motion and I can feel my system just slow down and I’m not making energy. Skinny fat, muscles go flat. But no neurotic behavior or acute symptoms. It’s such a bind.

The carnivore route is the not the way obviously, but at times I resort to it. What I’m really hoping is that starting low dose thyroid will allow me to eat the foods my body isn’t handling, but really needs.

Has anyone had food ”allergies and sensitivity” to like damn near everything improve once they got thyroid on board?

youngsinatra

All the foods I am craving, and can feel speeding up metabolism, improving body comp.. then cause acute food reactions on the backend 20 min later. Irritability. Get absolutely toasted by the sun even if it’s not that hot out. Burning skin, poor tooth health, Basically fruit. Sugar, milk,carbs in general.

When I eat my temp goes to like 99.0 for 5 min and then drops to 95.9 30 min later. Clearly I’m hypo and need the sugar and feel good upon eating it, but shortly after I feel worse as my body isn’t able too assimilate and process the sugar properly.

If I try to go mostly carnivoreish I feel calm, no food reactions, but it’s like I’m in slow motion and I can feel my system just slow down and I’m not making energy. Skinny fat, muscles go flat. But no neurotic behavior or acute symptoms. It’s such a bind.

The carnivore route is the not the way obviously, but at times I resort to it. What I’m really hoping is that starting low dose thyroid will allow me to eat the foods my body isn’t handling, but really needs.

Has anyone had food ”allergies and sensitivity” to like damn near everything improve once they got thyroid on board?
Have you tried carnivore + fruit? (basically the way Paul Saladino eats these days)

I think it‘s a more ideal macro (carbs/proteins/fats) balance (33/33/33) for blood sugar stability, which is very important for maintaining good adrenal/thyroid health.

Wildly fluctuating blood sugar (high and crashing low) is a huge stressor that your adrenals need to balance out afterwards with cortisol/adrenaline/glucagon etc.

You probably feel better with flatline blood glucose on carnivore.

I don’t think thyroid supplementation directly reverses food sensitivities/allergies (see Ray Peat or Danny Roddy) even though thyroid will likely help with certain gut problems (for example it probably helps to permanently clear SIBO by stimulating bile flow and GI peristalsis/motility)

Last edited:
OP
T

tommyg130

Have you tried carnivore + fruit? (basically the way Paul Saladino eats these days)

I think it‘s a more ideal macro (carbs/proteins/fats) balance (33/33/33) for blood sugar stability, which is very important for maintaining good adrenal/thyroid health.

Wildly fluctuating blood sugar (high and crashing low) is a huge stressor that your adrenals need to balance out afterwards with cortisol/adrenaline/glucagon etc.

You probably feel better with flatline blood glucose on carnivore.

I don’t think thyroid supplementation directly reverses food sensitivities/allergies (see Ray Peat or Danny Roddy) even though thyroid will likely help with certain gut problems (for example it probably helps to permanently clear SIBO by stimulating bile flow and GI peristalsis/motility)
Yeah exactly to the flatline, it’s not ideal, but pros and cons.. fruit is very hard to make work. I’m almost certain I have a salicylate issue, based on few things, but also my horrific reactions to even low dose aspirin. And histamine.

Some combination of both probably. I actually do fine with white sugar which is how I sort of realized it may not be the sugar, but rather the fruit or something in the fruits.

All in all I think it’s because my system was down horribly from some stressors. I try so often the fruits on and off, but usually the same response. An immediate WOW from the sheer taste and hydration, followed by annoying symptoms.

aniciete

Yeah exactly to the flatline, it’s not ideal, but pros and cons.. fruit is very hard to make work. I’m almost certain I have a salicylate issue, based on few things, but also my horrific reactions to even low dose aspirin. And histamine.

Some combination of both probably. I actually do fine with white sugar which is how I sort of realized it may not be the sugar, but rather the fruit or something in the fruits.

All in all I think it’s because my system was down horribly from some stressors. I try so often the fruits on and off, but usually the same response. An immediate WOW from the sheer taste and hydration, followed by annoying symptoms.
How long have you lived in your current residence? Have you ever tested for mold?

youngsinatra

Yeah. I understand. I personally don‘t find fruit and sugar balancing and stabilizing, at all.
Eating fruit feels like throwing paper on a fireplace — it just *poof* disappears. I personally do better on a combination of starch, animal protein and fat. That feels like throwing wood on a fire, which nicely sustains the „fire“ (aka metabolism) for a few hours.

Even my (not-health-conscious) friends tell me that fruit makes them crash after an hour in terms of blood sugar.

And remember: stress can be anything, emotionally, physically, chemically.. So if your body does not respond well (in other words, get stressed) by fruits, then it‘s NOT good for YOU, even if Ray Peat considers fruit the holy grail of an anti-stress diet.

OP
T

tommyg130

Yeah. I understand. I personally don‘t find fruit and sugar balancing and stabilizing, at all.
Eating fruit feels like throwing paper on a fireplace — it just *poof* disappears. I personally do better on a combination of starch, animal protein and fat. That feels like throwing wood on a fire, which nicely sustains the „fire“ (aka metabolism) for a few hours.

Even my (not-health-conscious) friends tell me that fruit makes them crash after an hour in terms of blood sugar.

And remember: stress can be anything, emotionally, physically, chemically.. So if your body does not respond well (in other words, get stressed) by fruits, then it‘s NOT good for YOU, even if Ray Peat considers fruit the holy grail of an anti-stress diet.
Yeah this makes sense to me. What are you eating roughly on a day to day? No fruit ? Milk dairy also problematic for me.

I feel really good if I have a high fat piece of steak w white rice or a potato maybe, and maybe maybe some cheese a few times a day. That makes me feel calm and not many symptoms. But after that meal part of me craves something sweet like a crackhead, but then when I do eat it, it doesn’t feel like it serves me after the first 10 seconds of eating it.

Without the sugar Post meal I feel sort of dry mouth and hypo, and crave the sugar and it stops that. But it comes back like shortly after. So possibly I need to push through that dry mouth and it’s just an adjustment period, because my body’s been used to those use sugar hits, perpetuating this cycle.

youngsinatra

Yeah this makes sense to me. What are you eating roughly on a day to day? No fruit ? Milk dairy also problematic for me.

I feel really good if I have a high fat piece of steak w white rice or a potato maybe, and maybe maybe some cheese a few times a day. That makes me feel calm and not many symptoms. But after that meal part of me craves something sweet like a crackhead, but then when I do eat it, it doesn’t feel like it serves me after the first 10 seconds of eating it.

Without the sugar Post meal I feel sort of dry mouth and hypo, and crave the sugar and it stops that. But it comes back like shortly after. So possibly I need to push through that dry mouth and it’s just an adjustment period, because my body’s been used to those use sugar hits, perpetuating this cycle.
I mostly eat meat, white rice/potato with ghee/tallow or refined coconut oil (potato fries in coconut oil are heavenly!) with some pickled vegetables or so. I usually like a piece of fruit or two after eating, sort of as a dessert. It‘s okay for me this way.

OP
T

tommyg130

I mostly eat meat, white rice/potato with ghee/tallow or refined coconut oil (potato fries in coconut oil are heavenly!) with some pickled vegetables or so. I usually like a piece of fruit or two after eating, sort of as a dessert. It‘s okay for me this way.
Are you still dealing w copper deficiency ? You’ve posted about that I believe in the past ?

OP
T

tommyg130

Yeah. I recently started taking thyroid and I’m trying to fix my copper dysregulation with it.
Yeah, that’s funny because so did i. I went way to hard on the zinc, but yet when I take copper in a supplement i get bad reactions. I started thyroid yesterday with the same thinking. Fix the system with a top Up approach by taking thyroid and hopefully it regulates the minerals.. what thyroid are you taking? T3? NDT?

youngsinatra

Yeah, that’s funny because so did i. I went way to hard on the zinc, but yet when I take copper in a supplement i get bad reactions. I started thyroid yesterday with the same thinking. Fix the system with a top Up approach by taking thyroid and hopefully it regulates the minerals.. what thyroid are you taking? T3? NDT?
At first I tried an NDT (glandular to be more specific) but it felt pretty weak. I‘ll soon receive a synthetic T4/T3 mix (novothyral).

I started taking 50 mcg of plain T4 yesterday, which is not optimal, but better than nothing. I already feel a distinct (positive) effect in contrast to the NDT, but the full effect is only truely realized after 2 weeks, so I‘ll give it a go.

What are you taking?

peter88

How do you tolerate ghee? I’ve read some of your posts that you don’t tolerate dairy. I started eating ghee thinking it would be safe and it wrecks my gut and sleep.

I had histamine intolerance to the worst degree, for many years. My root issues turned out to be fluoride and my environment.

Would you mind elaborating on how both fluoride and environment affected you? I’m very curious.
I have a thread on some of what happened to me, for my whole life, causing all kinds of sickly issues. Once I started paying attention to chemicals I was putting on my skin, from lotions, clothes, furniture and mattresses, getting an air filter and addressing fluoride, all of my lifelong histamine issues cleared up.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals